Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

Yes 705 54.95%
No 578 45.05%
Voters: 1283. You may not vote on this poll

Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightCheckmate View Post
Also did you know that c=2c where c is the speed of light. Maybe you'd care to disprove this one next.
You should of paid more attention, 2c does not equal c. c is a L.U.B. for speed, a singularity point. This is not how .999~ works.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dobagoh

Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcide View Post
Yup I'm clearly the dumb one with a masters in math talking about math, not the guy who has no clue what he's talking about.
You don't know what a circular argument is. That's why you are one dumb mother fucker. It has little to do with your math "skills".

also who gets a master's in math? failures who fail out of a phd program because it was too hard? with your reasoning skills, no wonder.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KnightCheckmate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcide View Post
You should of paid more attention, 2c does not equal c. c is a L.U.B. for speed, a singularity point. This is not how .999~ works.
Maybe you should have paid more attention. I never stated that was how .999~ works. I stated that if someone can disprove that it equals one maybe they can also disprove that anything "faster" than the speed of light is still the speed of light.

Hey even rewrote it for you so you could better comprehend it since your masters seems to have removed your common sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Morgageddon

Player Support Tech Specialist

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
and YOU don't understand that when we say EQUAL in math, we don't mean "good enough that you're going to have a seriously hard time telling the difference" we really do mean equal.

it's complete wanking and a waste of time, but infinitely small differences are still differences in math
Well then, explain to me how .111 also has a remainder of 1/9th. Please define where or how the expression 'an infinite number of 1s in the decimal place,' also gets a remainder of 1/9th? It doesn't. You can't cut it off anywhere by the base definition without validating my point of 'this is good enough, we don't need to worry about anything more.'


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
You don't know what a circular argument is. That's why you are one dumb mother fucker. It has little to do with your math "skills".

also who gets a master's in math? failures who fail out of a phd program because it was too hard? with your reasoning skills, no wonder.
Their argument is infinite decimals work different.

Your argument that .999~ is 1 is because you can perform standard operations on them, you can perform standard operations on them because infinite decimals work like any other number. You think this because you think .999~ is the number 1.

Don't be an ****** just to be an ****** when you have no clue what you're talking about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
and YOU don't understand that when we say EQUAL in math, we don't mean "good enough that you're going to have a seriously hard time telling the difference" we really do mean equal.

it's complete wanking and a waste of time, but infinitely small differences are still differences in math
What is an infinity small difference? Cause it's not a math term, it's something you just made up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaolla

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcide View Post
What is an infinity small difference? Cause it's not a math term, it's something you just made up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimal


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaolla

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgageddon View Post
Well then, explain to me how .111 also has a remainder of 1/9th. Please define where or how the expression 'an infinite number of 1s in the decimal place,' also gets a remainder of 1/9th? It doesn't. You can't cut it off anywhere by the base definition without validating my point of 'this is good enough, we don't need to worry about anything more.'
as soon as you can explain to me how 10 divided by 9 = 1


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
Did you bother to read the part where it says infinitesimal's aren't in the reals.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Morgageddon

Player Support Tech Specialist

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
as soon as you can explain to me how 10 divided by 9 = 1
It doesn't equal 1.

It equals, in fractions, 1 and 1/9th.
In decimal, it equals 1.111
Coincidentally, both are the same.

You're throwing a red herring here and not actually trying to refute my statement.