Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

Yes 705 54.95%
No 578 45.05%
Voters: 1283. You may not vote on this poll

Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mèdusa

01-23-2013

For all you "no-voters", A proof or reasoning would be nice :<.

NINJA VOTES ARE EVILL

Mechwarrior5

01-23-2013

This was how I figured it out.

1/9 = 0.111...
0.111... * 9= 0.999...
1/9 * 9 = 1

Cheshire Lunacy

01-23-2013

i don't know T.T i havent slept since yesterday and my mind is already breaking plus i have to say me and math are not pals, considering i failed grade 11 math so many times i ended up just hating math even more.

long story short I don't know don't ask me to help you with your math homework that's what calculators are for.

Kazral

01-23-2013

I really hope the majority of people voting no are just voting incorrectly on purpose. Anyone who has learned anything about limits should be voting yes.

WC3betterthanSC

01-23-2013

0,99999... put this in a geometric series, apply the formula. The result is gonna be 1.

Shaco ftwin

01-23-2013

I still don't agree with that. There is no way something that isn't the same thing is the same thing.

Mathematically it works out, but it is clear as day that .999999~ Does not = 1. Look at the numbers... see how there are nine's verses a single one?

Again, it depends on how you look at it. For math purposes, it is right. But at the root of it all, it's not.

Emperor Azrael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mèdusa View Post
0.9999.... = X
10 X = 9.999....
10X - X = 9
9X = 9
9X / 9 = 1
So, X = 1

That's the standard proof anyway
I never actually learned this because public school.

Kazral

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetnanas View Post
I still don't agree with that. There is no way something that isn't the same thing is the same thing.

Mathematically it works out, but it is clear as day that .999999~ Does not = 1. Look at the numbers... see how there are nine's verses a single one?

Again, it depends on how you look at it. For math purposes, it is right. But at the root of it all, it's not.
So you effectively just said "Mathematically it is true, but it doesn't *feel* right to me so it isn't." Since when do feelings take priority over proper math?

Mèdusa

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazral View Post
I really hope the majority of people voting no are just voting incorrectly on purpose. Anyone who has learned anything about limits should be voting yes.
Oh gawd, limits are no fun LOL.

Emperor Z19

01-23-2013

Yes. It's been mathematically proven. I cannot explain it well myself, but I've heard it said enough by trustworthy mathematicians.

I'll make an effort regardless. The difference between .999... and 1 is infinitely small. The difference, taken to a limit of infinity, is equal to 0.

And a bonus:
1/3 = .3333333...
.33333... * 3 = .99999....
1/3 * 3 = 1
Thus, .9999... = 1