Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

Yes 705 54.95%
No 578 45.05%
Voters: 1283. You may not vote on this poll

Does 0.9999(repeating) = 1?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolla View Post
only some of us lack the ability to comprehend infinity...
so if you comprehend infinity. How large or small is infinity? The only answer you can give is. It is infinitely large or small. It goes on forever, but with that said, there isn't a possible way for you to understand infinity, seeing as how you could never truly grasp how large that is.

Kaolla

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menea6587 View Post
YOU'RE STRONGER THAN THIS!!!
i don't think you are.

go ahead. make another post. you won't quit.

you don't have the stones to just walk away

Metablast

01-23-2013

I can't believe this is even a real debate.

Anyone who clicked no clearly needs to stay in school for a long time.

Magni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

To people who say "draw a line 0.999... long" or "write 0.999... and keep adding 9s" and then conclude that it cannot equal one no matter how "close" you get:

You are incorrectly making the assumption that 0.999... is a finite number. That's the mistake so many people make, even if unconsciously. 0.999... is equal to one. There are several proofs of it and whether you like it or not, that's how it is.

Weirding ways

01-23-2013

Yes, it's 1, and no, there isn't really a debate over this. The confusion is due to the fact that most people don't understand infinites very well. Infinite is not a number (you can't add or substract anything from it, because it'll always be infinite), so while 0.999(repeating) LOOKS like a number, it's not, but it's value is the same as the number 1.

It doesn't feel right to most because when you see 0.9999...., you naturally think it's 0.9999 rather then 0.(infinite amount of 9's).

It's more or less the same way 1/4 is 0.25, they don't look the same, but they have the same value nonetheless.

Etherdreamer

01-23-2013

Troll maths
/thread.

Haitake

01-23-2013

OP watching this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsOXvQn3JuE

interesting

KirbyCake

01-23-2013

so many people say that 1/3 = .333333333333333333....
prove it, otherwise your entire argument falls apart

19 Lemurs

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs01gt View Post
Geez is this second great math?

You draw a line that is 1cm long, you draw another line that is .99...cm long, guess what, the 1cm is longer.

Also, if you want use this theory of .99999...=1, then switch it to Theory/Chaos Math. Your statement would be true.
You can't draw a line that is .99 repeating cm long. It's a physical impossibility. It only exists as a quirk of human-created mathematics.

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

01-23-2013
1 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insentience View Post
Me and a friend were having a debate whether or not 0.999... (for those who are confused the 9 is repeating.). I'm saying it does = 1, but he says it doesn't. Though I think I may be right, but there is always the benefit of doubt, and I am open to hearing what others have to say.

So if 0.999... does equal 1, then explain how it equals 1.

but if 0.999... doesn't equal 1, then explain how it doesn't equal 1.

This has been bugging me for awhile.
No it does not. Only 1 = 1. It is very close to one, and statistically can be interpreted as 1, but it is not 1.