Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Possible solutions to Ranked Solo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Smushynumnum

01-23-2013

Quote:
captainhammhamm:
what about the supports? whose job it is NOT to get kills and if they die, its not as big a deal as if, say, the ADC dies. What you suggest is flawed because it penalizes the support even if your team wins.

I agree that K/D/A is not the only think that should be considered. You guys are getting side-tracked...

I have many points, that of which was only one of them. I do think it could be weighed in each game for a couple points of elo, yes.

What about reports on teamwork however. Let's say someone gets 2 honorable oppontents, 3 teamworks, and 1 helpfulness as a support role. Do you not think they should be rewarded more elo than the others?

or, do you not think the afker 5 minutes in should lose more elo than the others?

Smushynumnum

01-23-2013

Quote:
AD Bottom:
How does duo queueing affect anything? Yes, it brings a higher skilled player down to a lower level, but that's not a guarantee they'll do well. It also brings a lower skilled player up to a higher level (though that's not a guarantee they'll do badly).

Duo queue brings an unfair advantage in that there is a pre-set portion of the team amongst what is most likely a group of solo-queuers. If one team has a team of duo-, should the other team not be coordinated to have a team of duo as well?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-23-2013

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
It is re-cooped. When you play the 99 other matches out of a 100 game set, and because you're not an AFKer, you get fewer AFKers on your team than the AFKer.

AFKing is clearly not a winning strategy, so if the AFKer continues that strategy over the course of 100 matches, while you continue a very strict strategy of not-AFKing, you'll win more games than the AFKer and have more Elo overall.

EDIT: Also, to my knowledge, if you are disconnected at the end of the match, you lose Elo even if your team won the match. This may or may not be true as I've not experienced this first hand... and I don't know how long you have to be disconnected for, or if it has to be a quit (or AFK disconnect) versus a regular disconnect or what, but regardless, there is that.

adc

01-23-2013

Why should I gain less Elo than another player because he's a nicer person? I could be the best top laner in the world, but if another top laner is a nicer person, he'll get more Elo than me?

Quote:
Smushynumnum:
Duo queue brings an unfair advantage in that there is a pre-set portion of the team amongst what is most likely a group of solo-queuers. If one team has a team of duo-, should the other team not be coordinated to have a team of duo as well?

http://i.imgur.com/w0zD7T5.png

Case in point. 1600 Elo game, 1800 player (2.5k S2, by the way) goes 7/5. 1400 Elo player goes 19/3. While the 1800 certainly did well and helped with the win, the 1400 did far more for it.

Duo queues don't always have some sort of communication (I've never talked to Chidori over Skype or anything). It still requires skill to win, and coordination between two of five players is nowhere near enough to make up for a severe lack of skill. Unless the lower Elo player is smurfing (which is a whole other can of worms), you have one team member as disadvantaged as the team member that is advantaged.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-23-2013

Quote:
Smushynumnum:

Do you know that this isn't already the case? It's extremely possible that this is the case already.

In normal queue, you're more likely to be paired against teams that queued up with the same number of players as you.

Smushynumnum

01-23-2013

Quote:
AD Bottom:
Why should I gain less Elo than another player because he's a nicer person? I could be the best top laner in the world, but if another top laner is a nicer person, he'll get more Elo than me?

If you are marked for all of those things, you most likely performed well above the other players, wouldn't you say? Not just a matter of niceness.

Smushynumnum

01-23-2013

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
Do you know that this isn't already the case? It's extremely possible that this is the case already.

In normal queue, you're more likely to be paired against teams that queued up with the same number of players as you.

Good to know, that'd certainly make it a much more equal playing field.

adc

01-23-2013

Quote:
Smushynumnum:
If you are marked for all of those things, you most likely performed well above the other players, wouldn't you say? Not just a matter of niceness.

What if I go 0/10/0, push 11 turrets and 6 inhibitors (on my own, but let the minions get all the last hits) and the nexus, I go troll build, and I'm a mean person. Yet because I pushed EVERY turret in the game and all 3 inhibs twice single-handedly, I won the game for my team. Should I gain less Elo because - even though I won the game for my team - I never last hit a tower or inhibitor, I was never nice, and I have no kills or assists?

Smushynumnum

01-23-2013

Quote:
AD Bottom:

http://i.imgur.com/w0zD7T5.png

Case in point. 1600 Elo game, 1800 player (2.5k S2, by the way) goes 7/5. 1400 Elo player goes 19/3. While the 1800 certainly did well and helped with the win, the 1400 did far more for it.

Duo queues don't always have some sort of communication (I've never talked to Chidori over Skype or anything). It still requires skill to win, and coordination between two of five players is nowhere near enough to make up for a severe lack of skill. Unless the lower Elo player is smurfing (which is a whole other can of worms), you have one team member as disadvantaged as the team member that is advantaged.

Do you not think that if the 1400 performed far better, they should be rewarded differently?

Smushynumnum

01-23-2013

Also - you guys haven't addressed the (-elo) for afking or feeding. Thoughts?