The Art of the Jungler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OhSavior

01-23-2013

Okay, for starters I'm not here to bash junglers because I understand their role
and am not one of those people that blames everything on the junglers.

I do have a problem with junglers in normal PvP though. I'm tired of having to solo a lane
2v1 and getting fussed at for dying or getting pushed. It is very frustrating when I'm putting in so much effort and that one jungler on our team is just sitting there slowly killing the wolves.

Now like I said, I understand the role of junglers, and I don't feel that jungling is a bad thing.
But when you are the only one jungling in the game it isn't doing much good, especially if the enemy team has no junglers. You're just forcing a lane to be outnumbered and pushed unless the enemies in said lane are inexperienced. Ranked is a different story.

TERRORIST WlNS

01-23-2013

What champs do you use top? Also you should buy items that will help you sustain or let them push to your turret where you can safely farm minions and out level the opponent top laners and ask for your jungled for a gank when the time is right.

OhSavior

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImANoobInLeague View Post
What champs do you use top? Also you should buy items that will help you sustain or let them push to your turret where you can safely farm minions and out level the opponent top laners and ask for your jungled for a gank when the time is right.
Usually Riven. She is good most of the time, but against champs like MF and other ranged she gets pushed hard. I ask for ganks, and most of the time the jungler will come but the time it takes for them to get up to top is enough time to get turret dove. Or just get caught off guard while typing/setting up gank.

workthecorners

01-23-2013

I have one thing to say. When you are 1v2 that is the one time when CS is NOT your top priority. Get cs if you can but do not risk damage or death to get it. I am a main jungler and when i have the whole jungle to farm i can keep up with mid on cs. Your top lane enemies are sharing cs (or someone is supporting giving their team 2 underfed supports) meaning your jungle with have more cs then them and will out level them and you will have "as much cs as possible" as well as out level them making you 2 worth more then your opponent top lane.....NOT DYING IS KEY! the one way a 2v1 top lane beats a jungle team is if they get early kills and snowball before you and the jungler can get ahead.

Emperor Kefka

01-23-2013

Your main concern when solo topping against 2 ppl is to stay alive. Don't even really worry too much about your tower. Keep this in mind: You're going to gain levels quicker than they are. A lot of times doing blinds and your team has a jungler, I'd get exhaust rather than ignite out of the possibility of being 2 v 1. That way, if they so choose to tower dive you, you can exhaust and they'll take some nice turret hits. Its also best to do your cs-ing under your own turret. So yeah, turret hug is probably the best you can do. If the minions are being held at river, you can creep out a little bit to gain experience for the creeps that do die, since you don't need to kill them personally to gain xp, just don't over extend. Champs I normally stick with in blind would be Garen (sustain passive, silence and spin to win), Riven (stun, harrass with Q under your own turret, shield/dash) or Sion (shield, last hitting under turret to buff your hp, stun). Im sure there are others, but thats my personal history.

Armstice

01-23-2013

You could start by expanding your champ selection to champs that can actually 2v1 effectivly:

Vlad: Has very good sustain, aoe pushability can actually deny the enemy team from even pushing to your tower once you have your revolver. Very tanky, and more than capable of turning a 2v1 into a stall.

Jayce: Along with having some of the best poke in the game, he can clear entire waves with 2-3 skills. You will eventually run out of mana but you can keep the wolves at bay for quite some time.

Cho: Has probably the best 2v1 sustaining kit, his rupture should scare any decent opponent out of tower diving due to the amount of damage the tower will put down with the knock up. Not to mention his regen from killing creeps. He is another champ like vlad that has such high built in sustain you shouldn't lose your tower any faster than you would in a normal 1v1 lane anyway.

These are 3 viable choices that can keep you in the game for long enough to still have an impact even if the jungler completely ignores your lane. You should also understand that when I jungle I prioritize lanes by those with the highest chance to win. If my bot appears very compitent, I am going to feed them kills early and often to ensure that my compitent bot has the means to do some real damage in the mid/late game.

LastStaX

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armstice View Post
You could start by expanding your champ selection to champs that can actually 2v1 effectivly:

Vlad: Has very good sustain, aoe pushability can actually deny the enemy team from even pushing to your tower once you have your revolver. Very tanky, and more than capable of turning a 2v1 into a stall.

Jayce: Along with having some of the best poke in the game, he can clear entire waves with 2-3 skills. You will eventually run out of mana but you can keep the wolves at bay for quite some time.

Cho: Has probably the best 2v1 sustaining kit, his rupture should scare any decent opponent out of tower diving due to the amount of damage the tower will put down with the knock up. Not to mention his regen from killing creeps. He is another champ like vlad that has such high built in sustain you shouldn't lose your tower any faster than you would in a normal 1v1 lane anyway.

These are 3 viable choices that can keep you in the game for long enough to still have an impact even if the jungler completely ignores your lane. You should also understand that when I jungle I prioritize lanes by those with the highest chance to win. If my bot appears very compitent, I am going to feed them kills early and often to ensure that my compitent bot has the means to do some real damage in the mid/late game.
good list, I'd also include yorick and malphite, because they're kits work great in two v 1 situations as well.

FaerKhan

01-23-2013

Dont forget olaf rules 2v1s :P

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-23-2013

Original Poster is level 26. And most people go through this phase when they're in the 20s on summoner level.

The deal is, level 20 kind of marks the beginning of when jungling first becomes possible, but you're playing with inexperienced junglers without complete rune and mastery pages. So if it's two duo-tops, it's fine because there's no junglers. And if there's two solo-tops, it's fine because the two junglers are generally equally inexperienced.

But it can be problematic when there's a 1v2 and the 1's jungler is inexperienced.

The good news, however, is that this is a great way to learn how to 1v2. I suggest going with tankier top laners for now. I'd do this until level 30 or when you start getting better, more experienced junglers.

Just like your jungler has to learn how to be a good jungler, as a top laner, it's important to learn how to deal with the 1v2 lane.

So, I'd suggest trying some of these champs to deal with the 1v2 lane.

Olaf
Cho'gath
Volibear
Yorick
Malphite
Jayce
Shen

Don't get me wrong. Riven is a great top laner, and if this were any other thread, I'd suggest Jax (but Jax can be tricky for newer players to 1v2 with). But Riven isn't necessarily the best for new players learning to deal with the 1v2 lane. Try out some champions from that list. Find one you like, and play him until you get more comfortable with 1v2 in general.

Cho'gath is free this week.

And in general, you're going to want to try to only last hit your minions and let the duo top push you back to your own turret. The turret helps equalize the match up, especially through the first 6 or so levels. Then Cho'gath, for example, is pretty tanky, but has the advantage of ranged abilities to harass and farm with.

Thinkagain11

01-23-2013

Play karthus!