@ swain dom players, how do you build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zuko Prince

01-23-2013

before season 3 I used to build tanky, and still do, but that seems to be completely ineffective now.

People do far more damage than anything my defense can handle, so do you have success with tanky swain, or do you just build for power?

MyDeadGrandma

01-23-2013

Nothing much has changed for me. Roa, Witchcap, Bft. Throw in a Chalice for botlane if required.

wolferer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

BFT is basically a god-tier item for swain. He has tons of dots to proc it, it gives him 20% cdr, mana regen, health, and ap.

Start with prospectors ring, too. Between Codex and ring you'll have 20 extra mp5 which should leave you with enough mana. Finish sorc boots some time before completing BFT.

After that, I like to build Hextech Sweeper. It maxes your CDR and gives you a 10% speed boost. Swain has low ranges on Q and E and he needs to be able to run away from bruisers, so this 10% boost is very good. The active is also great, even when there are no stealth champions/traps. Use it to check bushes or to scout paths.

After that (or before as needed) build some basic resist items. If you want more damage, go with Void Staff. If it's super late, get Witchcap.

I wouldn't buy Roa under any circumstances. Rely on Ring+Codex as well as health relics for your mana regen. Relics refil something like 25% of your mana. Even if you run yourself dry with ult, you can pick up a relic and be perfectly fine for the next fight. Once you ignore the mana, BFT and Sweeper are just superior sources of health and ap since they give you CDR too.

Same goes for chalice. Rely on those health relics and the 20 regen from Ring and Codex.

David12596

01-23-2013

My usual build is ROA, Sorc, BFT, Woogets, Spirit Visage, and from their either build a Void, Abyssal, or another armor item. There are other items that are good picks, but those are my favorite so far. One thing, I do not recommend getting a BFT on swain first. Swain needs to be durable in order to deal a lot of damage and ROA gives a lot more HP and a lot of Mana which will help you more then rushing a BFT.

LordofNarf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferer View Post
I wouldn't buy Roa under any circumstances. Rely on Ring+Codex as well as health relics for your mana regen. Relics refil something like 25% of your mana. Even if you run yourself dry with ult, you can pick up a relic and be perfectly fine for the next fight. Once you ignore the mana, BFT and Sweeper are just superior sources of health and ap since they give you CDR too.

Same goes for chalice. Rely on those health relics and the 20 regen from Ring and Codex.
I actually find that I need to build a rod or some other large mana item to use swain effectively, and the catalyst procs are insanely good. Since the mana cost of Ravenous Flock is quadratic with time, a larger mana pool will help you sustain even beyond when more mp5 would.

Additionally, since catalyst procs temporarily increase your regeneration, if you hit a catalyst proc, it is multiplied by the Crystal Scar aura chalice passive, and makes the catalyst proc even better.

BFT is also still a god-tier item. It's a little awkward because Swain hits his stride best after several items, and the build path through early catalyst, early haunting guise, early sweeper, finish rod, finish bft is not really clear.

wolferer

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David12596 View Post
One thing, I do not recommend getting a BFT on swain first. Swain needs to be durable in order to deal a lot of damage and ROA gives a lot more HP and a lot of Mana which will help you more then rushing a BFT.
Play like a caster, not a tank. Swain is weak to burst damage even when he builds health. Stay back a bit and use your skills on the closest person while kiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofNarf View Post
I actually find that I need to build a rod or some other large mana item to use swain effectively, and the catalyst procs are insanely good. Since the mana cost of Ravenous Flock is quadratic with time, a larger mana pool will help you sustain even beyond when more mp5 would.

Additionally, since catalyst procs temporarily increase your regeneration, if you hit a catalyst proc, it is multiplied by the Crystal Scar aura chalice passive, and makes the catalyst proc even better.

BFT is also still a god-tier item. It's a little awkward because Swain hits his stride best after several items, and the build path through early catalyst, early haunting guise, early sweeper, finish rod, finish bft is not really clear.
Yes, the cumulative cost of Ravenous Flock is quadratic. So building a higher mana pool has diminishing returns. You only gain a few seconds by increasing your max mana pool. You are still going to have to turn it off and wait for the cooldown, which is faster in my build since it maxes CDR quickly. If the cost increased linearly (like Anivia), stacking mana would be effective.

The dominion aura increases your mana regeneration by 2% per 1% of missing mana (This is twice the effect of Chalice of Harmony). Building mana does not synergize with this effect at all. Building Mp5 does. At half mana, your Mp5 is doubled. At zero mana, your Mp5 is tripled. Add to this the fact that Mp5 is super cheap in dominion. Prospector's Ring is cost efficient for just the health and AP it gives you, the Mp5 is basically free. Blackfire Torch is Swain's god-tier offensive item, and it happens to give him 10 more Mp5.

You will be shocked at how much more damage you do if you go ring into BFT.