Steel Legion Shyvana

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
This all presents opportunities and challenges. The opportunity is that we really get to nail down how our universe should coalesce. If we're going to put out a new Demacian champion for example, that champion would probably embrace more of a functional aspect. If there is magic, it's not as dark or raw as Noxian magic, nor is it as refined as Piltover hex-tech. It would be something that has a feeling of power, and 'good', but funneled in a way which is complementary to Demacia.
I'm probably reading that quote wrong; is the 'good' meant to be sarcastic? or are Demacians supposed to be the good guys nowadays? Cause I sure hope it's the former...

ImNotClever

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

IronStylus I really hope you see this, is there ANY information on if we're getting more Crimson Elites to counter the Commando skins? I LOVE Crimson Elite Talon, could give or take Riven, but I feel let down here a bit that it seems forgotten.

Prkl8r

01-23-2013

Quote:
This is very interesting, I'm impressed you're aware of the trend. That's not meant to be condescending, I'm having trouble framing the statement, but I'm happy people are noticing that things are evolving.

You're right. Technology that's being introduced into our world currently is straying away from what we might have had back in the day. I'd roughly separate out these types of styles and tech levels as "traditional fantasy" and "modern fantasy." That is to say, what we have in some areas is quite literally medieval technology and aesthetics. Some of the older Demacian champions for example, things that might have been influenced by the Warcraft-type armor sets which defined a lot of traditional video game fantasy. Similarly the Piltover champions that you mention, Caitlyn vs Jayce, excellent examples.

Traditional fantasy is something we're probably moving away from. Patchwork cloth and big shoulder pads. We'll have those, but we have to find the right way to make them feel uniquely "League". Right now we're finding our stride with how we want to portray our world and how everything from manufacturing techniques to types of clothing people wear is becoming clearer to us. We're doing that with newer characters.

In relation to "high" technology, we probably want to push towards what we're seeing in characters like Jayce, a "functional magic" if you will. Something that isn't defined by scientific reality, but offers a way to power our more fanciful devices and abilities. The aspect of the "raw" versus "functional" magic is something that you might compare different factions with. Arcane magic of someone like Swain versus functional magic of someone like Vi. Theres a framing happening in each of them. One is the more traditional fantasy of spells, transformation, other arcane sorts of feel. The other is one that's significantly more functional, that's inside of something, powering it, making it live.

This all presents opportunities and challenges. The opportunity is that we really get to nail down how our universe should coalesce. If we're going to put out a new Demacian champion for example, that champion would probably embrace more of a functional aspect. If there is magic, it's not as dark or raw as Noxian magic, nor is it as refined as Piltover hex-tech. It would be something that has a feeling of power, and "good", but funneled in a way which is complementary to Demacia. The challenge is that we have to find ways to bring the more standard and new forms of magic representation into some of our older champions to bring them in line with what we're continuing to develop.

All factions have some sort of magic obviously, that's ya know.. fantasy.. but it's going to take different forms for each faction and each champion depending how they want to wield it.

Somehow, the forces of Freljord, Demacia, Piltover, Noxus, Zaun, and any other city-state have to be able to go toe-to-toe with each other, using the inherent strengths they posses and how they choose to use or not use the magic that permeates Valoran.
So, seeing as the image of Piltover tech has evolved quite a bit and the image of what Piltover is and what it means to be a Piltover champion, do you than have plans to update the older Piltover champions like Catlyn and Heimer to reflect this new image of Piltover and better fit into what your refined vision looks like?

Clockworking

01-23-2013

Still waiting on a new Rumble skin :c

Darklarik

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaltovei View Post
As long as she gets a robotic voice like a Transformer when in Dragon Form.
Im thinking a Robotic mid-air transformation. Make her Robot-Dragon look like Grimlock

Estred Shantile

01-23-2013

Mecha-Shyvana wold be interesting. I would love it to go with a revamp on her. There are some threads with good points as to the loss in direction with Shyvana. Many seem (myself included) to feel that she has no real role in the game anymore. Even "long lost" champions like Kharma when played have a roll... Shyvana I think was originally a "counter jungler" even though her spotlight billed her as a Top.

My reasoning behind that thought is she lacks the CC/Sustain to really "duel" in Top Lane against most tops such as Darius, Jayce, Nidalee, Jax, Lee Sin, ect. She found a home in the Jungle clearing fast and counter-jungling because of her weak ganks (lack of Gap Closer and CC that is not tied to her Ultimate). With the new items seeing small tweaks/nerfs to many of her 'core' items and the Jungle being more single-target oriented a champion like Shyvana has been indirectly 'nerfed' as much as I do not like the term.

She needs to be re-envisioned along her original concept I feel and introducing a new skin along with it would help boost sales on her again. After all "new champion"/Revival with a new skin? If I didn't already own her I would buy her again, I already own all her skins.

If she is a counter-jungler she should have strong survival and clear rate so she has more time to try and hunt the other jungle but not so strong that she can't be taken out by the other jungle if played wrong. Currently she can't gank and counter jungling with new items is just too dangerous with how much damage she is sustaining on her clear early on. She is very fun to play, but like other older champions to stay true to herself she needs a rework like somewhat. The Jax rebalance really made him fun for me without being OP and I would love to see a redo on Shyvana as I stated before.

Oh and did I mention a new skin? Mecha or Ice-scale Shyvana would be awesome. We got a shadow dragon why not an ice dragon or maybe an Acid dragon?

Hologue

01-23-2013

... I would kill for a proper Steel Legion Shyvana skin. I think Shyvana has the coolest potential for skins and a giant metal dragon of lightning is just... awesome sounding.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
This is very interesting, I'm impressed you're aware of the trend. That's not meant to be condescending, I'm having trouble framing the statement, but I'm happy people are noticing that things are evolving.

You're right. Technology that's being introduced into our world currently is straying away from what we might have had back in the day. I'd roughly separate out these types of styles and tech levels as "traditional fantasy" and "modern fantasy." That is to say, what we have in some areas is quite literally medieval technology and aesthetics. Some of the older Demacian champions for example, things that might have been influenced by the Warcraft-type armor sets which defined a lot of traditional video game fantasy. Similarly the Piltover champions that you mention, Caitlyn vs Jayce, excellent examples.

Traditional fantasy is something we're probably moving away from. Patchwork cloth and big shoulder pads. We'll have those, but we have to find the right way to make them feel uniquely "League". Right now we're finding our stride with how we want to portray our world and how everything from manufacturing techniques to types of clothing people wear is becoming clearer to us. We're doing that with newer characters.

In relation to "high" technology, we probably want to push towards what we're seeing in characters like Jayce, a "functional magic" if you will. Something that isn't defined by scientific reality, but offers a way to power our more fanciful devices and abilities. The aspect of the "raw" versus "functional" magic is something that you might compare different factions with. Arcane magic of someone like Swain versus functional magic of someone like Vi. Theres a framing happening in each of them. One is the more traditional fantasy of spells, transformation, other arcane sorts of feel. The other is one that's significantly more functional, that's inside of something, powering it, making it live.

This all presents opportunities and challenges. The opportunity is that we really get to nail down how our universe should coalesce. If we're going to put out a new Demacian champion for example, that champion would probably embrace more of a functional aspect. If there is magic, it's not as dark or raw as Noxian magic, nor is it as refined as Piltover hex-tech. It would be something that has a feeling of power, and "good", but funneled in a way which is complementary to Demacia. The challenge is that we have to find ways to bring the more standard and new forms of magic representation into some of our older champions to bring them in line with what we're continuing to develop.

All factions have some sort of magic obviously, that's ya know.. fantasy.. but it's going to take different forms for each faction and each champion depending how they want to wield it.

Somehow, the forces of Freljord, Demacia, Piltover, Noxus, Zaun, and any other city-state have to be able to go toe-to-toe with each other, using the inherent strengths they posses and how they choose to use or not use the magic that permeates Valoran.
There's nothing wrong wit traditional tech, Rumble basically fight with a mech made in a cave with a box of scraps and it looks good and feels awesome, Heimer on the other hand is a shame of a Piltover champion who doesn't deserve his champ title.

Leoric Wuju

01-23-2013

Quote:

Thank you so much for stating this out, Stylus. I used to think Riot has forgotten the world-building of League.

I was mildly relieved to see that both Syndra and Zed have the Asian/Japanese background in their Ionian origins kept. Seeing your idea about how the next Demacian character should be, though~I have no idea what to expect.

As it is, the presence of new Demacian and Noxian champions is severely lacking

Seeing how Caitlyn has received no visual uppdate at all after Vi's release...I have to emphasize that talk is cheap. We need to see plans and progress, if you have any

These issues are what is really important to some fans. You might want to polish these old things first before attempting to release more new stuffs

Alant

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpderMan View Post
how about fiora and vayne as well? if its gonna be a demacian thing.
Steel Legion Shyvana and Fiora
Where do i throw my money??
Riot plz :/