Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Steel Legion Shyvana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wangnam Style

01-22-2013

I think that the order should go

silly silly silly fire silly silly silly water silly silly silly robotic silly silly silly weird silly silly silly hot

so basically 3 silly's and then something else

TheEnygma

01-23-2013

Quote:
Wangnam Style:
I think that the order should go

silly silly silly fire silly silly silly water silly silly silly robotic silly silly silly weird silly silly silly hot

so basically 3 silly's and then something else

sounds like I'd be saving my money quite a lot

Axhliay

01-23-2013

Ironscale would kinda be really close to the theme of Steel legion wouldnt it?

Judge Arcadia

01-23-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
...is this a legit request?

No robo voice! I love her sexy voice!

NotBuzzJack

01-23-2013

Before you start making the skin, you should check if live plans on buffing her. Because what's the point of a skin if nobody is going to play that champ.

Commando Slap

01-23-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Dudepocalypse, Babesplosion, etc.

I had another question about the art design in league-- in that the level of "tech" even in classic/basic skins seems to be ramping up a lot faster.

Consider the differences between people like Caitlyn and Vi. They're from the same place, Caitlyn is supposed to be equipped with state-of-the-art techmaturgical equipment for her job but Vi is running around with homemade power fists and a shield generator while Caitlyn is throwing bear traps. :x The art style/level of technology on a lot of heroes I feel is starting to get to a point where older "inventor/tech-fancy" heroes seemingly feel low-tech and kinda barbaric in comparison. Heimer is supposed to be the revered inventor, but Viktor's everything feels centuries ahead of anything Heimer has. Caitlyn is supposed to be the sheriff of the Victorian City of Progress but is using an old rifle and bear traps as Jayce and Vi are jumping around a techno-megatropolis which is supposed to be the same city in Caitlyn's splash art.

I feel there's a lot of really weird discontinuity of setting starting to take shape in League.

:x I guess I feel like Riot has had a lot of chances to get release cadence right, and no matter how many times the team seems to recognize it, they seem to simply make the same sort of patterns in other facets of the game.

Oh, and will we get Piltover Vice Caitlyn/Vi skins? ?

Lykurgus

Recruiter

01-23-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
...is this a legit request?

First off, Yes, at least for Shyvana.

Second off, holy ****, I did not expect this thread to take off like it did, let alone have IronStylus Post in it!

Quote:
Actually, so here's my thoughts. This is actually not about sci-fi/mech/robot skins. This is, like you note, actually about cadence.

One thing we shouldn't do is because we may have a glut now, is to stop internally ideating on a cool idea, robotic or not. That's how we get into these sort of ruts. We say, "OH! COOL IDEA! LET'S MAKE A LOT!" Then.. when we found out maybe we have saturation, we say.. "OH SNAP! TOO MUCH! BETTER STOP MAKING THEM!" Then.. inexorably.. another theme comes along and we wear that a little thin, then over correct again.

So, the solution is actually to keep making anything cool we want to make. If there's a champion that would look awesome in a sci-fi treatment then we should make that happen. Maybe we backlog it, maybe we put it on slow burn, but we should make it. However, the key is to make a whole lot of other things in tandem and stagger them. Then we don't have fire, fire, fire, frost, frost, frost, robot, robot, robot, silly, silly silly. We need something resembling fire, silly, frost, robot, etc. That ultimately is about planning and cadence. That's where my concern and efforts lie. Helping with cadence, not limiting our menu of ideas.

Completely understand the ideology behind this, I was kinda just throwing the idea out there expecting this thread to be buried into the depths of GD. The entire Steel Legion (imo Warhammer 40k) theme is really cool, especially after seeing your Garen splash, at least I believe I remember you claiming it lol.

Having a theme run too long, recur too often takes the excitement out of the theme and becomes more of an expectation, not that the theme itself is bad, just becomes stale, no matter how awesome the idea can be, and fresh themes for skins (such as this one! sort of?) is always a nice breathe of fresh air.

BoJaxHorseweapon

01-23-2013

Moar Crimson Elite skins first! 5 commandos and only 2 crimson elite after all this time since riven's release!

Edit: September 14, 2011 apparently.... wow.

exe3

01-23-2013

Could we see some old themes come back then? The bloodmoon skins were a pretty cool concept as well as others, we haven't had a mafia skin in a awhile I don't think. It'll just be the best thing ever when we can have a teams full of mafia, or pirate, or battlecast skins etc...

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-23-2013

Quote:
Commando Slap:
I had another question about the art design in league-- in that the level of "tech" even in classic/basic skins seems to be ramping up a lot faster.

Consider the differences between people like Caitlyn and Vi. They're from the same place, Caitlyn is supposed to be equipped with state-of-the-art techmaturgical equipment for her job but Vi is running around with homemade power fists and a shield generator while Caitlyn is throwing bear traps. :x The art style/level of technology on a lot of heroes I feel is starting to get to a point where older "inventor/tech-fancy" heroes seemingly feel low-tech and kinda barbaric in comparison. Heimer is supposed to be the revered inventor, but Viktor's everything feels centuries ahead of anything Heimer has. Caitlyn is supposed to be the sheriff of the Victorian City of Progress but is using an old rifle and bear traps as Jayce and Vi are jumping around a techno-megatropolis which is supposed to be the same city in Caitlyn's splash art.

I feel there's a lot of really weird discontinuity of setting starting to take shape in League.

:x I guess I feel like Riot has had a lot of chances to get release cadence right, and no matter how many times the team seems to recognize it, they seem to simply make the same sort of patterns in other facets of the game.

Oh, and will we get Piltover Vice Caitlyn/Vi skins? ?

This is very interesting, I'm impressed you're aware of the trend. That's not meant to be condescending, I'm having trouble framing the statement, but I'm happy people are noticing that things are evolving.

You're right. Technology that's being introduced into our world currently is straying away from what we might have had back in the day. I'd roughly separate out these types of styles and tech levels as "traditional fantasy" and "modern fantasy." That is to say, what we have in some areas is quite literally medieval technology and aesthetics. Some of the older Demacian champions for example, things that might have been influenced by the Warcraft-type armor sets which defined a lot of traditional video game fantasy. Similarly the Piltover champions that you mention, Caitlyn vs Jayce, excellent examples.

Traditional fantasy is something we're probably moving away from. Patchwork cloth and big shoulder pads. We'll have those, but we have to find the right way to make them feel uniquely "League". Right now we're finding our stride with how we want to portray our world and how everything from manufacturing techniques to types of clothing people wear is becoming clearer to us. We're doing that with newer characters.

In relation to "high" technology, we probably want to push towards what we're seeing in characters like Jayce, a "functional magic" if you will. Something that isn't defined by scientific reality, but offers a way to power our more fanciful devices and abilities. The aspect of the "raw" versus "functional" magic is something that you might compare different factions with. Arcane magic of someone like Swain versus functional magic of someone like Vi. Theres a framing happening in each of them. One is the more traditional fantasy of spells, transformation, other arcane sorts of feel. The other is one that's significantly more functional, that's inside of something, powering it, making it live.

This all presents opportunities and challenges. The opportunity is that we really get to nail down how our universe should coalesce. If we're going to put out a new Demacian champion for example, that champion would probably embrace more of a functional aspect. If there is magic, it's not as dark or raw as Noxian magic, nor is it as refined as Piltover hex-tech. It would be something that has a feeling of power, and "good", but funneled in a way which is complementary to Demacia. The challenge is that we have to find ways to bring the more standard and new forms of magic representation into some of our older champions to bring them in line with what we're continuing to develop.

All factions have some sort of magic obviously, that's ya know.. fantasy.. but it's going to take different forms for each faction and each champion depending how they want to wield it.

Somehow, the forces of Freljord, Demacia, Piltover, Noxus, Zaun, and any other city-state have to be able to go toe-to-toe with each other, using the inherent strengths they posses and how they choose to use or not use the magic that permeates Valoran.