Steel Legion Shyvana

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
If you can't, my faith in Riot goes down a little further. If someone else can and does, my faith in Riot goes up by quite a bit more than it went down. I feel a little jipped every time I get radio silence on something that matters to me. I feel really warm and fuzzy when Riot talks to me about something that matters to me.

I joined LoL around MF's release. At that time, it felt like Riot was really chatty about all sorts of stuff. I had tons of warm fuzzies. I spent a decent chunk of change on the game. I encouraged many of my friends to play the game.

Right now, I feel like Riot is really closed on a lot of things. It seems like the ominous cloud of "but the community gets thorny" has closed many doors of communication. This gives me a naggling displeasure. I don't buy RP anymore. I point my friends towards other games.

I can't say anything about objective truths beyond my own experiences, but I think I'm not alone here. I can't say "this is his fault" or "she totally wants to make me sad", but I think I have a valid reason to be apprehensive concerning this game's future.
There's a reason for all this. They've announced stuff before and gotten burned. They have to be careful what they say, or they have problems.

On the flip side, silence on important issues isn't a good thing, either. It's a balancing act. Riot is trying to communicate with us, but they are perpetually on thin ice. You should take what you can get. It's infinitely better than the corporate robots you get in other games.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuloric View Post
Except, both Lux and Garen are in the Demacian military, lorewise. If you change the theme of current Steel Legion Lux to Hextech you would have to change Steel Legion Garen to keep the cohesiveness between these two Demacians.
Better to get a skin that I can relate to the original champion rather than something that is "disconnected" for the sake of "diversity."
Just because Garen and Lux are the only champions we have evidence for getting Steel Legion skins doesn't mean Demacians are the only ones allowed to be part of the Steel Legion. And it's not diversity for the sake of diversity. There are plenty of champions that have already fit the Hextech theme. Anivia, for example. Janna does it quite nicely too. Wouldn't you want to see Hextech Malphite? Or Hextech Brand?

Lux being in the military also has nothing to do with her skin selection being 100% militant in appearence. If that were a rule, we'd have to remove Frostfire Annie. Annie is very clearly a fire mage. What's she doing in the snow playing with a polar bear?

Personally, you could rename Steel Legion Garen to Grey Knights Garen instead and it would be an accurate portrayal, but that's a whole different Rok full of Orks.

Commando Slap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Sorry, relaunch is the wrong term. I meant visual update. She's not screaming to be touched like some other champions. Words.. they're difficult.
I just wanted to say you're my hero.

Rauron

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
There's a reason for all this. They've announced stuff before and gotten burned. They have to be careful what they say, or they have problems.
You know what got them burned? Silence. The announcements weren't the touchy bit; the silence after was far more dangerous.
Magma Chamber: LoL players had to basically hunt down info on that, long after the announcement, and there was still no official word on the forums for a while further even then.
Stealth rework: Lots of talk early on, then suddenly nothing. A brief blip from Shurelia, then she left. No word for a while. Xyph mentioned something, then more months of quiet.
PFE, Rocketeer Trist, etc.: A really cool skin idea is mentioned, leaked, or whatever... and then we don't hear about 'em again for months.
Dominion: Word comes out of something big happening... and we get an announcement of a possible future announcement of a possible future feature. Vague, uncertain, mostly because the whole event is crouched in hushed excitement. Rage hits with the reveal, not because of the announcement beforehand, but because all the secrecy bred ideas and implications beyond what blunt talking would.

The announcements have almost never been a problem, until silence follows them.

Lykurgus

01-24-2013

Off-Topic: I love how threads can grow to have a mind of their own, it's why I love lurking the forums.

About the Steel Legion Lux skin, personally I don't dislike it, though I don't play Lux, I do see her quite often, it is an interesting skin, and I'm not one way or the other about it. To me though, Steel Legion Lux and Garen skins are less about their inherent character and more about the theme/setting the skins themselves are trying to portray. The splash arts themselves, tell a huge story, The Steel Legion are a task force/unit/militant group in a Distopian Future, having to brave different hazards that our Demacian Heroes have to. For me the Steel Legion skins plays more in the part of a side story, a what-if deal, and it's something I personally would like expanded upon.

The Steel Legion theme and my initial excitement for it, was less the character designs themselves, but more of a thought process. What if the Demacian Champions existed in a future or alternate universe, where there was no magic, but technology reigned (look at some of the particles for Steel Legion Lux, doesn't look magical to me) and that's what they needed to use in order to survive against the Alien/Enemy? (I think what Garen is shredding apart in his Steel Legion splash is Kog, which the Void Creatures would make Awesome aliens.)

There's a lot that can be pulled from this theme, and I would like to see more from it.

Miserabilia

01-24-2013

Quote:
So what exactly would be the problem if that was indeed my response? I'd like to know. What would you have me do exactly? Would you have me carry a torch into a producers office? Tie up the 3D team and make them repaint it? Bribe the animation team to re-rig and animate? What would satisfy?

I'm a concept artist. I'm the first part of a very long pipeline and process. Also, I'm not just a concept artist dedicated to a single team. I work on reworks, champions, skins, and general art feedback in the system. When I'm involved in something I see it all the way through, but some times I'm going to have to float into our out of a team depending on need or what's priority. I'm not going to be able to be personally accountable to thousands of people considering I'm a very small cog in a very large machine.

If this is indeed my response when things are released, feel free to come at me with any sort of eyeroll or anger. I can take it. I'll gladly tank for the people who aren't here to take the venom and honestly are extremely busy trying to create extremely high quality content at an extremely intense cadence. You can dismiss me as being dismissive, but you don't seem to be cognizant as to what you're implying with that attitude, that this is but one iota of a facet to this entire machine that is skins, champions and relaunches. This can't be summed up in a sentence.
In all honesty if the skin gets released I'll just end up laughing. And dismiss it, I can't expect everything I want to happen and there's literally no point in getting upset over something that happens in a video game. The only real issue I have over the art department is where they release skins that are physically impossible in human anatomy or just ridiculous. IE: Spines on female skins, Crimson Akali's right leg bending twice, and Vi's butt that looks like it's removable. But that's more of just an annoyance due to seeing them rather frequently.

Daemon

01-24-2013

Quote:

As for Caitlyn, she's not a high priority on relaunches. She could use a fidelity upgrade, and maybe a "modernization" but that wasn't feasible to do before Vi released. Also, I can't give plans and progress in most circumstances. That's the nature of the beast. Talk is actually expensive when it ruins people's expectations or sets us up for failure. We don't want to talk about what's still in flux.

She is a badass British sheriff of a huge city...running around in a purple mini-dress.

Every single Piltover champion has a logical outfit that represents who they are. Caitlyn looks like something at a frat house Halloween party.

I mean, her skins are fine and all, but...I have to ask what the hell the designers were thinking when they created her...her lore does say that she is beautiful, but beautiful doesn't mean wearing mini-dresses.

Critmaster Garen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

Quote:
I'm not going to have any huge effect on assuaging fears or calming tempers by contributing to the conversation while the skin is still unreleased.
if its released, the chances that any aspect can be changed about it will drop to zero. ive seen what happened with diana and her headpiece.

a realistic discussion about the design of the skin and maybe adding/changing parts of it can only happen, as long as its not released yet.

what youre saying is basically, that you dont want to get into it at all anymore

austseraph

01-24-2013

Quote:
Excellent. Glad to know my emotion-o-logic capacitators are producing an adequate number of feels.

Yeah, I'm never going to take my emotions out of things, what counts is that I try to never let them run me or my responses in a way that harms players, Riot or myself.
I've never heard of any sort of artist, creator or visionary that wasn't fueled on emotion.

If it was me and I didn't feel strongly enough about my projects to defend them then it would be time to look for another job, especially in such an emotional line of work.

Totally agree with your sentiments above and fully support your comments so far.

Keep up the good work LoL is looking better and better as the game develops and you and your team are really "fleshing out" all the idiosyncrasies of Runeterra and its inhabitants.

DianasGotSwag

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhailRaptor View Post
Hextech Brand
Riot pls!

Quote:
Lux being in the military also has nothing to do with her skin selection being 100% militant in appearence. If that were a rule, we'd have to remove Frostfire Annie. Annie is very clearly a fire mage. What's she doing in the snow playing with a polar bear?
^True. People who can't see skins for what they are should not be the ones complaining about them.

Quote:
Personally, you could rename Steel Legion Garen to Grey Knights Garen instead and it would be an accurate portrayal, but that's a whole different Rok full of Orks.
Space Ork Sion. Mind you, just lane SLG with Infernal Mordekaiser and you basically can have a Space Marine vs Chaos Space Marine battle.