Steel Legion Shyvana

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhailRaptor View Post
Well....

To be brutally honest, it shows that the overwhelming player feedback on the skin was negative, and that the skin was put through to live anyway. Not that this reflects directly on you, but the people in charge of.. "quality control", for lack of a better term, were either oblivious to the widespread dislike of the product, or released the product in spite of it. It shows either a very large communications breakdown between the only source of feedback (the forums) and the people in charge of keeping content up to quality, or it shows that the people in charge of maintaining quality don't know what they're doing/have too much to monitor to do their job correctly.

I can't say which it is, because I don't have any insight as to who does what and how much they're doing, but I'd be sad if either were true. And if Steel Legion Lux goes through without a significant overhaul... It'll be gasoline on the fire after the whole Finales Funkeln Fiasco.
Hate to play devil's advocate here, but we haven't actually seen the new model yet. That being said, the splash art doesn't look like many of the issues we brought up were adressed. Armor's still bulky and has a fairly bland color scheme. And even though it's splash art, it still supposed to be representative of what the skin/champion will look like.

And first impressions are important.

But anyway, I never considered this. You make very good points.

Pantheon411

01-23-2013

Quote:
Well....

To be brutally honest, it shows that the overwhelming player feedback on the skin was negative, and that the skin was put through to live anyway. Not that this reflects directly on you, but the people in charge of.. "quality control", for lack of a better term, were either oblivious to the widespread dislike of the product, or released the product in spite of it. It shows either a very large communications breakdown between the only source of feedback (the forums) and the people in charge of keeping content up to quality, or it shows that the people in charge of maintaining quality don't know what they're doing/have too much to monitor to do their job correctly.

I can't say which it is, because I don't have any insight as to who does what and how much they're doing, but I'd be sad if either were true. And if Steel Legion Lux goes through without a significant overhaul... It'll be gasoline on the fire after the whole Finales Funkeln Fiasco.
any blaming @IronStylus is gonna help? Let's be honest this community is toxic, all i can see @ironstylus doing is telling them to take a relook and what not, but blaming and telling him what to do on the forums isn't gonna go anywhere. Let's be honest.... not much he can really do.

SlumlordThanatos

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
And there very well may be nothing I can do about that. Is that ok?
If you ask me, when something goes wrong, I NEVER blame a specific person. We may call you dismissive, but you have to be. It's in the job description. I don't like it, and I will complain very loudly about it, but in the end, I don't begrudge you for it.

That being said, maybe more people on the design team need to be a bit more active in the forums. Lately, skins have been pretty hit-or-miss, in my opinion. Perhaps the design team should be a bit more in touch with what goes on down here in the forums. We have lots of ideas, and having more Rioters with which to ask questions should take some of the load off.

It's better to be preemptive, to release something that we all like, instead of something you have to go back and fix because it's splitting the playerbase down the middle. The only way I can see this improving is with more members of the design team being more active. No one man should answer the brunt of the questions.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

01-23-2013

Quote:
You personally would be in the clear. I mean seriously, the only thing you can do is inform the relevant people that there's an issue, with forum links for reference. But Riot as a whole doesn't exactly have a spotless track record with listening to community feedback. And I think part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be any structure at Riot for getting forum information to people in certain departments down the production line. We just have you, Morello, and ricklessabandon. Once in a blue moon Xypherous shows up for some super mathy or conceptual game theory. None of which are terribly influential on the production side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segifred View Post
any blaming @IronStylus is gonna help? Let's be honest this community is toxic, all i can see @ironstylus doing is telling them to take a relook and what not, but blaming and telling him what to do on the forums isn't gonna go anywhere. Let's be honest.... not much he can really do.
Quote:
Not that this reflects directly on you, but the people in charge of.. "quality control"
It's astounding how people, in this modern day and age, still have such reading problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
It's better to be preemptive, to release something that we all like, instead of something you have to go back and fix because it's splitting the playerbase down the middle. The only way I can see this improving is with more members of the design team being more active. No one man should answer the brunt of the questions.
Honestly I have to agree with this. There was recently a Jade Fang Cassi complaint thread, containing a large number of long known about Cassi skin bugs. For example, regardless of which skin she is using, Cassi's death animation is always in her default skin. Apparently Siren Cassi has her tongue coming out the back of her head at times. ricklessabandon replied to the thread saying "we haven't forgotten, we just have to balance time/resources against content value", explaining that despite these things being known about for quite some time -- to say nothing of the dislike of Jade Fang Cassi's headgear -- they would probably not get fixed for a long time because the value wasn't there to justify the time spent making the fix.

That's the kind of thing that feeds back into community feelings of being unheard and ignored in favor of pushing the content through. It also has the secondary negative of making Riot look like a bunch of money loving parasites. I know differently, but I can very easily see where this false image has been established from, and it's things like this. Don't make the changes the community wants us to, just push it through and make the money off of it.

Necronsis

01-23-2013

Quote:
Well....

To be brutally honest, it shows that the overwhelming player feedback on the skin was negative, and that the skin was put through to live anyway.
And when people thought the skin got cancelled an overwhelming amount of players got mad as well. Just cause a large amount of players dislike the skin, doesn't mean their isn't a large amount of players who won't enjoy it. Take Teemo, lots of people hate him and want him deleted but lots of people still play him.

TheEnygma

01-23-2013

man, you really have a hard-on for Lux

Pantheon411

01-23-2013

Quote:
You personally would be in the clear. I mean seriously, the only thing you can do is inform the relevant people that there's an issue, with forum links for reference. But Riot as a whole doesn't exactly have a spotless track record with listening to community feedback. And I think part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be any structure at Riot for getting forum information to people in certain departments down the production line. We just have you, Morello, and ricklessabandon. Once in a blue moon Xypherous shows up for some super mathy or conceptual game theory. None of which are terribly influential on the production side of things.

It's astounding how people, in this modern day and age, still have such reading problems.
Read the this who thread then tell me who has a reading problem.

Leoric Wuju

01-23-2013

Quote:
This will be off topic, but word of advice: you don't want to show your emotional part in places like the forums.

As nonconstructive some of the whiners might be, almost every forumer here expect official people to be constructive when they comment on something.

SlumlordThanatos

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuloric View Post
This will be off topic, but word of advice: you don't want to show your emotional part in places like the forums.

As nonconstructive some of the whiners might be, almost every forumer here expect official people to be constructive when they comment on something.
I would prefer that he does. This is exactly why I love him, because he behaves like a human being, flaws and all. When I played WoW, blues acted like corporate robots. IronStylus comes across as an actual person.

As long as he doesn't snap and start permabanning players for mentioning Steel Legion Lux, like one WoW forum moderator did, I don't mind if he vents every once in a while. He put a lot of time and effort into this, he should be passionate about it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-23-2013
13 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
I would prefer that he does. This is exactly why I love him, because he behaves like a human being, flaws and all. When I played WoW, blues acted like corporate robots. IronStylus comes across as an actual person.

As long as he doesn't snap and start permabanning players for mentioning Steel Legion Lux, like one WoW forum moderator did, I don't mind if he vents every once in a while. He put a lot of time and effort into this, he should be passionate about it.
Excellent. Glad to know my emotion-o-logic capacitators are producing an adequate number of feels.

Yeah, I'm never going to take my emotions out of things, what counts is that I try to never let them run me or my responses in a way that harms players, Riot or myself.