Pre-queue role selection for the love of god!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bonesnaps

02-01-2013

Who cares, instead of reviving graveyard threads, making new ones creates more attention for what is a serious problem in LoL.

Smiley

02-01-2013

I also would like to add my name to the petition because I feel that this could definitely help tremendously in cutting back trolls.

Cogito

02-01-2013

I strongly agree that champion selection and players choosing roles is a big problem, but if pre-queue role selection were to be implemented I would think it best that a new queue be made for it and the old one remain unchanged.

I think longer matchmaking would be worth the wait if it were to eliminate or reduce the pre-game trolling and confusion; but it does force a single meta when there could be other unique compositions that are viable when properly executed that people want to try.

Also I've seen some people suggest the option to choose multiple roles. I think that is an excellent idea since it doesn't force you into one role without knowing what the rest of your team will look like. When I am choosing a champion I often switch to something that I think would be more beneficial to the team based on what is already chosen.

However having both queues might leave one queue with too few people using it for the matchmaking to find enough people to compose games within any reasonable amount of time.

Pelvis Pressley

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I strongly agree that champion selection and players choosing roles is a big problem, but if pre-queue role selection were to be implemented I would think it best that a new queue be made for it and the old one remain unchanged.

I think longer matchmaking would be worth the wait if it were to eliminate or reduce the pre-game trolling and confusion; but it does force a single meta when there could be other unique compositions that are viable when properly executed that people want to try.

Also I've seen some people suggest the option to choose multiple roles. I think that is an excellent idea since it doesn't force you into one role without knowing what the rest of your team will look like. When I am choosing a champion I often switch to something that I think would be more beneficial to the team based on what is already chosen.

However having both queues might leave one queue with too few people using it for the matchmaking to find enough people to compose games within any reasonable amount of time.
It just will never balance out and the role queues will become more and more lop-sided. Any WoW player knows why this is a terrible idea. Suddenly it takes 45mins unless you play support and supports get in game immediately. There will always be a role preference as long as certain players (say supports) aren't meant to get kills. I don't think people should be able to lock roles down. I think lanes should be selected. Read my first post on a full description.

Lady Rose

02-01-2013

it wont be longer ques, you can make it so that extra ip is awarded to roles that are not played as much at that current time just like wow they give you a goody bag and extra gold for queing as tank or healer.

Schmakk

02-01-2013

bump.

Asurael

02-01-2013

I was just about to create a thread suggesting this idea, good to see I'm not the only one who agrees we need this xD.

I think a balanced way to do this would be to select your 1st, 2nd and 3rd role preferences and also lanes you want to play (they don't always match). Then let the game take this into consideration at the moment of building teams.

But this shouldn't be an obligatory means to assemble teams, it would work better I think if you wanted to assemble your own team, where you invite your friends and then simply fill any vacant spots with this means of player search. And if you're not assembling a team but want to show you're waiting to be recruited like this, then you search a game normally, but choose you want to be recruited like this.

Matthias Shaw

02-01-2013

I don't think I've ever posted a message on these forums, but I came on here today to post this very same idea. Only difference would be putting the 5 roles in order from most desired to least. I heavily prefer jungle, but I don't mind top either if someone else will be stubborn.

I'd really like to start playing ranked (just a casual) and am not really great at the game. Being forced into a role I'm not comfortable with and know I'm going to do awful with is annoying. Role selection would end this and allow me to rise a little bit higher in ranked than I otherwise might because I can't play the role I'm really good at.

Being able to order your preferred roles might also help avoid the "following the meta" problem Riot has and not limit queue times as much by putting people who while preferring a different role, won't mind say...supporting, if they need to.

VPTrogdor

02-02-2013

This will likely fall on deaf ears.

JawniHawni

02-03-2013

The idea of role selection sounds compelling and great on paper, but in practice it would be horrible. If anyone here is familiar with the dungeon ques in a popular MMO World of Warcraft, especially when there aren't enough tanks or healers queuing for dungeons, you'll understand why it wouldn't work. As things are, there's already a good awfully long waiting time for ranked games. You would end up having to wait at least 5 times longer to get into the champion selection screen. Then what if someone dodges? What if the person who queued as support wants to go AP carry in mid instead and just did support to get into a game faster? It would just add up into more and more possibly ruined games.

Riot can't really go and give each champion a value saying if they can be a tank, an AP Carry or a jungler or any mix of possible roles. Thanks to itemisation, runes and masteries a single champion can fill a number of roles easily. All in all it wouldn't work.