Pre-queue role selection for the love of god!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Lord Impaler

01-24-2013

This could be a huge help, though I understand the worry about making the meta even MORE rigid. Also what happens if new maps get created (that people actually play) which have got less ridged or just plain different meta?

If players can select multiple roles and they come into the game then they should be able to throw together some alterations on their own well enough.

Another issue what happens to people who lie on their role? An MMO KNOWS YOUR CLASS, this is just what you SAY your doing, I could see all kinds of dick players who select all roles but then insist on something specific and openly lie to the queue system to get matched faster. Will this be yet another source of reports?

Shadowmender

01-27-2013

As I've said, they could add options, which aren't as often chosen, but may be wanted. Also, if a different meta happens, it's not that hard to twirl around the roles and lanes.
Also, we are primarily talking about Summoner's Rift. This system doesn't need to work for the other maps (as you said, they aren't played as much, and people generally haven't established a meta for them).
Also, on the last part..ya, they can lie, but at this moment, they just queue then demand that one role anyway. I'd say at least half of the people who already demand a single role will be sated by a role selection. The other half will continue to troll, but at least it takes care of half. (if not more)

Pelvis Pressley

01-27-2013

I made another post but I'll move the part I made about this here...
1. Role selection - One thing that really ruins the low level games is the inability for people to consider the overall compilation of their team. In most games I notice this happens because of a complete lack of knowledge on what their characters are really doing for their team. Many of the games I enter have at least 2 AD carries on a team and some are just 5 bruisers who get poked to death. Another aspect of this that can ruin games is lane selection. One person calls top and locks in as Nasus, another selects a jungler, and then some (selfish and immature) player quickly locks in as Jax and says he's going top. The first 4 minutes of the game are then dedicated to the top lane players "V" - pinging each other to death until someone submits. Some times this can lead to Ashe / Jax up against a good Sona / Ezreal combo and the game plays out from there...

The solution, I feel, is obvious. In the champion selection screen have it set so that players can lock in their lane and have the option to call their role. Have a button next to champion portraits that turns into a drop box where you can select which lane you are going to. Other players then can only select the remaining positions. If someone chooses "Jungle" then the system will only allow for one character on top lane or bottom lane depending on which one already has two (or some other maths that I haven't thought of). Under the lane selection have another drop box that may or may not be exclusive (as in it wont prevent anyone else from doing anything) where they can display which role they would like to play. This would make everything perfectly clear to the team and also introduce new players to their roles and make them more aware.

Then I was also thinking what if they made a system that would let you set your rune/ mastery setup according to your champion/lane/ role selection. Then you wouldn't have to keep resetting it, it would all be automatic. You would decide this option while you were putting the pages together.

Shadowmender

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilionDolaBluntz View Post
I made another post but I'll move the part I made about this here...
1. Role selection - One thing that really ruins the low level games is the inability for people to consider the overall compilation of their team. In most games I notice this happens because of a complete lack of knowledge on what their characters are really doing for their team. Many of the games I enter have at least 2 AD carries on a team and some are just 5 bruisers who get poked to death. Another aspect of this that can ruin games is lane selection. One person calls top and locks in as Nasus, another selects a jungler, and then some (selfish and immature) player quickly locks in as Jax and says he's going top. The first 4 minutes of the game are then dedicated to the top lane players "V" - pinging each other to death until someone submits. Some times this can lead to Ashe / Jax up against a good Sona / Ezreal combo and the game plays out from there...

The solution, I feel, is obvious. In the champion selection screen have it set so that players can lock in their lane and have the option to call their role. Have a button next to champion portraits that turns into a drop box where you can select which lane you are going to. Other players then can only select the remaining positions. If someone chooses "Jungle" then the system will only allow for one character on top lane or bottom lane depending on which one already has two (or some other maths that I haven't thought of). Under the lane selection have another drop box that may or may not be exclusive (as in it wont prevent anyone else from doing anything) where they can display which role they would like to play. This would make everything perfectly clear to the team and also introduce new players to their roles and make them more aware.

Then I was also thinking what if they made a system that would let you set your rune/ mastery setup according to your champion/lane/ role selection. Then you wouldn't have to keep resetting it, it would all be automatic. You would decide this option while you were putting the pages together.
Thing is...with what you suggest, as to restrict the choice...what if someone doesn't want to use a typical champion for that lane or jungle. Like, the new void creature used to be a popular top, then was seen as "meh" and moved to jungle, then he saw significant action mid. Now, imagine if they couldn't choose who they wanted for their selected roles...then that lane swapping wouldn't have happened, and he might have been left in the dirt (still kinda has, but ignoring that).
All we suggest with pre-queue role selections is for making it so you don't have 2 people wanting top, like you said in your example.

Pelvis Pressley

01-28-2013

Yeah that wouldn't work. What I am suggesting is that the lane lock prevent other players from selecting that lane. The role selection, as I stated, would not be exclusive. Your champion wouldn't be determined by the role you chose. My idea is relatively the same as yours. I've just suggested a drop-down instead of a checklist. Also I don't think it would be appropriate to lock in roles due to the problem you stated here. The role box I'm suggesting would merely promote your preference and allow for further discussion from the team.

The masteries idea would only change the mastery drop-down that is already there without you having to. You still could change it and wouldn't be required use the same one every time. It's just a small system that would make things a bit more cohesive. It would give players incentive to promote their role preference, even though it wouldn't be a "locked-in" system.

Shadowmender

01-28-2013

dunno how many times TODAY I had to be pushed from my role as a jungler just so the team had a respectable composition

Shadowmender

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilionDolaBluntz View Post
Yeah that wouldn't work. What I am suggesting is that the lane lock prevent other players from selecting that lane. The role selection, as I stated, would not be exclusive. Your champion wouldn't be determined by the role you chose. My idea is relatively the same as yours. I've just suggested a drop-down instead of a checklist. Also I don't think it would be appropriate to lock in roles due to the problem you stated here. The role box I'm suggesting would merely promote your preference and allow for further discussion from the team.

The masteries idea would only change the mastery drop-down that is already there without you having to. You still could change it and wouldn't be required use the same one every time. It's just a small system that would make things a bit more cohesive. It would give players incentive to promote their role preference, even though it wouldn't be a "locked-in" system.
ok, misinterpreted you message. thought you meant restrict champs for the lanes.
I personally would prefer being able to choose multiple roles (like, I am really good with udyr, vi, and singed), this makes me good in both top and jungle.
While it's unusual, I could see singed and vi, and possibly even udyr being hard tank supports.
So, I get what you're saying, "choose the one that they want the absolute most." But... you could be more lenient than others. Like, for the longest time, I had no preference except "not jungle".

Shadowmender

01-31-2013

sigh, they still aren't listening

bonesnaps

02-01-2013

Completely agree 100%.

One thing that could also work, for example, is when queueing up and selecting the role you want, you could get bonus IP for filling in a role for a match that no one is willing to play.

That would help compensate for the lack of supports and junglers since 90% of people will select mid and top as the role they prefer to play.

FreelancerXanK

02-01-2013

Pretty sure Taidann made a post on this a while back... of this exact opinion... go ahead look for the thread "Group-Finder" or something like that.