Pre-queue role selection for the love of god!

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VPTrogdor

01-22-2013

The champion selection process in solo queue is one of the worst parts of this game. It generates rage before the game even starts. There is a solution that would relieve a HUGE amount of trolling, and help prevent some people from becoming stuck in ELO hell.

One of the most frustrating parts of playing this game as a solo queue is entering a lobby and trying to figure out who plays what role. Here are some of the more irritating situations that happen.

A) Some 13 year old doesn't get the role they want and trolls your game.
B) One or more person only plays 1 role well (and it the same role).
C) Two people want the same role and it turns in to a pissing match.
D) No one wants to play support.
E) Some one in the lobby doesn't talk and no one knows where the hell they are going.
F) One or more people are forced to play a role they aren't very (or at all) familiar with.

You can say "You should be able to play more than one role before you stop playing bots" all you want. But the fact of the matter is you can't control what people will or won't do. People will still enter games only being able to play one role.

"Reporting trolls is what the reporting system is for." That doesn't stop me from losing the game (possibly losing ELO), or wasting 20-40 minutes of my time. Maybe it makes sure that one person doesn't do it again... maybe. But there are hundreds of thousands more out there.

There is a solution to all of this. Implement a role selection system, similar to World of Warcraft's dungeon queuing system. Select the role(s) you are willing/able to play. Then fill the 5 player slots with 5 people so that the lobby has at least one of each role available. Then, in the lobby all players on their respective teams would be able to see the roles each person is able/willing to play. Only 1 person in your lobby selected Jungle? Great, problem solved. This way someone who doesn't type, or speak the language native to the server doesn't **** the entire lobby over.

Yes, this will make queue times longer in general. But FUUUUUUUCK it would be so worth it to not have to deal with that BS anymore! Plus, it would incentivize people to play other roles. If queue time for someone who wanted to play support was only 20 seconds, vs that of someone who wanted to only play mid was 2 minutes, it may encourage people to play different roles to lower their queue times. The more roles you're able to play, the easier it becomes to be placed in a game. WoW saw a similar change in demographic. Tanks and especially healers were less popular options than DPS. When this system was placed in to WoW the number of players who had the ability to heal, deal damage, and/or tank changed in the queues system because the queue times were faster for those willing to tank or heal.

Jacob Grimm

01-23-2013

/signed based on the NUMEROUS suggestions for this I am guessing it is something the community wants. At least in ranked play.

Counterfeit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

This is a great idea. Although it could possibly increase matchmaking times, being able to select the role you intend to play could certainly reduce this problem. It would be nice, but it can also cause a lot of people to specialize in one role, which could be bad and good. I'd really like this because this is nothign worse than a chat battle for one role and / or being forced into a role that you do not want to play and / or are bad at.

/sign

VPTrogdor

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Triumph View Post
This is a great idea. Although it could possibly increase matchmaking times
It likely would increase queue times, especially for those who only play one role. But again, this would be built in encouragement for players to be willing/able to play different roles. Riot knows it's not as common for people to play support as it is other roles. So when I game sits in queue with 4 players matched up, but no support, someone who selected support as a role in the pre-queue would be given preference and queue right away.

Shadowmender

01-23-2013

/sign
Unfortunately, they don't read forums.

VPTrogdor

01-24-2013

I know, I know, the forums are just here to lure players in to a false sense of validation that maybe, just maybe some Dev ready their suggestion and thought for a moment "Hrmmm, that actually makes sense."

c0wb0ys7y13

01-24-2013

I have been seeing this suggestion for years now. A Dev responses that have been made on this subject in the past is:

Roll selection enforces a single meta. per-selecting your role wouldn't allow for double jungle, double top, or any other non-standard tactic.

Shadowmender

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0wb0ys7y13 View Post
I have been seeing this suggestion for years now. A Dev responses that have been made on this subject in the past is:

Roll selection enforces a single meta. per-selecting your role wouldn't allow for double jungle, double top, or any other non-standard tactic.
Yes, I thought of that before as well, but...it's solo queue (or less than full party at least), so you are fairly unlikely to get any new kinda meta formation out of the blue.
And, if they are truely concerned with that, allow them to check an option for slightly different meta's. Like, have a "No jungle" option, or maybe "Flip top and bottom roles" (adc and support go top, and top goes bot).
Or maybe, have an option of "no pre-game role selection". Which means, these players would be willing to try new things out. (So, it'll take 10 days for a match, and THEN you'll have to fight for the role you want, but hey, what ever.)

VPTrogdor

01-24-2013

No one is inventing meta new strategies in 1100 ELO. People who are coming up with new meta comps are already in teams of 5 with some kind of voice communication. They don't need this system in the first place. If they don't want there to be a restrictive meta, perhaps they should change their game mechanics. DOTA for example has far less restrictive meta

Deksar

01-24-2013

I totally agree - role selection please!

12345 ... 6