Is Udyr My Calling?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LoneWolfBrian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-22-2013

I honestly love Udyr, I first got him because when I saw his Primal skin I fell in love. He befits me as a person well. But anyway I have been able to carry my team to victory well in the past, I won 13/14 udyr games in a row before. Oh, and by carry I don't mean I get the kills, I try to feed anyone else even supports sometimes. If I main Udyr in ranked more often do you think that could raise my elo?

Clemroc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Udyr is an extremely fun champion to play, and was known to be a great jungler during season 2! I am happy that you found a champion you love, and wish you good luck with your ranked games.

Now, to answer your question: the short answer is "no".
The long answer:
Udyr is an extremely fast jungler, with high sustainability, able to counter-jungle, etc. However, maining him in ranked games will not necessarily make you win. Of course, this depends at what elo you're playing, but generally, you will have to take champions that work well with your team and against the enemy team.
Playing Udyr against a team that have a lot of escape mechanisms (example: Shyvana, Ezreal, Leblanc, Nunu and Renekton) might not work. Or if you're playing against a team that have a lot of kiting potential (Ashe, Lux/Morgana, etc). Or if your team doesn't have any gap-closer, Udyr's bear-form won't be good enough to engage the enemy team without being poked-down.

Jesustim

01-22-2013

There are three simple reasons why Udyr cannot carry you past very basic games;

1) he is too easily kited (no hard gap close a-la maokai or even a jax/elise leap)

2) he has no forced engage (he can't taunt or AOE stun/ult to force a fight to happen like amumu, shen, all the common bans)

3) his ganks are all telegraphed through basic warding areas, and even his lane ganks are ~meh because the time it takes to lane gank punishes junglers in the new jungle severely with the lack of farm.

SeCKS Egai

01-22-2013

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the champion as opposed to your own ability.

It sounds like you do well with him and are comfortable - that can raise elo.

But what can really make the difference is how you fare when you're filling in another role. I haven't touched my rank in years, but in working to improve my norm elos, being able to perform well in less familiar roles can net you wins you wouldn't get otherwise.

The other thing is I'd focus more on running a tank in the jungle role, since it can be pretty hard to fit them anywhere else and they can have such a huge impact on deciding that victory or defeat.

Lajinn5

01-22-2013

If you're playing Udyr you'll probably want someone with very heavy engage, that way you can get into the fight before the opponent's can kite you to death