Why role queue will never be.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CTElephant

01-22-2013

There are many reasons.
1. People can get a fast pass to 100% troll.
2. Is it really fair to restrict options for champs before bans? If no restrictions, then see the above option.
3. What if, seeing the composition of the team, I feel like I'd be stronger in a different role, but am already commited to one role with my intended champ fittingawkwardly?
4. This would just ensure that every game is text book meta, and there would be a monotony to the game that would slowly kill it.
By no means is this a complete list, feel free to add, but role queue fanboys need a little bit of a wake up call. It is like communism, good on paper, hideous in execution.

Onij

01-22-2013

This or because Riot says no.

Orcman21

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-22-2013

Could have just said "it's not need".

Redweb

01-22-2013

1. You Troll and get banned.
2. Thats the nature of it..if you pick support well guess what? Your playing support..duh
3. Doesn't matter where you "feel" you'd be strong at. You picked a roll..play it and be more sure next time you Queue.
4. Wrong. What does having roles I.E. support/tanky dps/ADC/jungle have to do with "meta"

Sounds like your the one that needs the wake up call bud. I for one am sick of entering solo queue and seeing people orgasm roles into chat "ADC!, jgunsle!, top!, suoprt!"...only to have me come in and say "Fill."

People are offering solutions. Maybe instead of shooting them down, you come up with your own solution and stop calling people "fanboys". Maybe you can add some constructive solutions in critical thinking of ways to better the queue for league of legends.

Clemroc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweb View Post
I for one am sick of entering solo queue and seeing people orgasm roles into chat "ADC!, jgunsle!, top!, suoprt!"...only to have me come in and say "Fill."

People are offering solutions. Maybe instead of shooting them down, you come up with your own solution and stop calling people "fanboys". Maybe you can add some constructive solutions in critical thinking of ways to better the queue for league of legends.
I agree with part of what you're saying Redweb (although I'm quite sure being rude wasn't necessary to prove your point).
Indeed, I am often (if not every time) the only player saying "hello" instead of yelling a position in queu. Keep in mind that this is between 1200 and 1600 elo (I'm slowly increasing back to where I was in season 2).
HOWEVER, the thread-leader is just pointing out some of the problems of the "role queu" that people have been discussing. I, for one, was really into the idea of role queu last year (similar to WoW's queu for dungeon-finder). Sadly, I noticed that this was an impossiblity. As pointed out above, there is one big problem with this.
Let me make an example:
Let's say that I join a role queu with the desire to play top. Once in the champion select, I, an average player, chose one of the 4-5 top champions that I play the best (lets say Chogath). After I lock in, I see the enemy counter-picking me (with Kayle). At this point, I would like to try to change to the role of jungle, since I can also do that with Cho. Unfortunately, someone entered the role queu wanting to jungle, and he doesn't want to hear a thing about switching with me.

And there's the problem with role queu.
Now, let's assume that with the example that I just stated, I could actually discuss with my team during queu and ask our jungler to play a top champion instead. In this case, the point of role queu would be completely ignored, and it would just be the regular queu we have today. In other words, Riot would have worked on a role queu for nothing.

My opinion:
We don't need to change our queu system, what we need to change is the community's mentality, and that, my friends, will take quite some time.
I have noticed, however, that the higher you go in queu (starting at about 1500s), the more "goal-driven" is the player. This is due to the fact that immature players yelling and playing only one specific role usually don't go very far, since this is a game in which you need to adapt. Hence, at higher elos you find more "gentlemen" who are willing to trade and play all lanes in order to achieve victory.

PrincePapa

01-22-2013

Making a role-queue would basically remove any notion of change in the meta. You can't go double jungle, bruiser bot, or duo-top (no jungle), or anything that is changing the usual meta. Top will be limited to bruisers, mid to casters, bot to adc/support and jungle to jungler.

Sure, that might seem like a perfect thing for meta purist who believe it is perfect and all, but for anyone that wants to change it for some reason or try a new strategy, well, they won't be able to.

Also, it will make queue times much longer because there aren't that many support mains.

KlunkTheSpaceCat

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweb View Post
1. You Troll and get banned.
2. Thats the nature of it..if you pick support well guess what? Your playing support..duh
3. Doesn't matter where you "feel" you'd be strong at. You picked a roll..play it and be more sure next time you Queue.
4. Wrong. What does having roles I.E. support/tanky dps/ADC/jungle have to do with "meta"

Sounds like your the one that needs the wake up call bud. I for one am sick of entering solo queue and seeing people orgasm roles into chat "ADC!, jgunsle!, top!, suoprt!"...only to have me come in and say "Fill."

Just wanted to bump to say that this was well said, sir!

KlunkTheSpaceCat

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemroc View Post
My opinion:
We don't need to change our queu system, what we need to change is the community's mentality, and that, my friends, will take quite some time.
I think that this is a VERY interesting issue. It's true, LoL has a well-earned reputation for having a very toxic community. But here's the thing, TONS of people play LoL, I think I heard somewhere that it's the #1 played game worldwide? Don't quote me on that. But a LOT of people play. Now, are these people a completely different set of people than the people who play (or played) WoW? Starcraft? Any other of the many many massively multiplayer games out there? I don't think so. I think it's (more or less) the same group of gamers. But no one thinks that any of these other games have a particularly toxic community.

I think the reason LoL has this rep is that the game is set up to create team conflict at the outset of every match. Then, to compound the problem, the matches last just long enough for players to resent having to spend at least 20 minutes with whoever it is they have decided they don't like because they called top but didn't get to go top (or wherever). I really don't think it's the players, I think it's the environment in which they are placed.

KlunkTheSpaceCat

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincePapa View Post
Making a role-queue would basically remove any notion of change in the meta. You can't go double jungle, bruiser bot, or duo-top (no jungle), or anything that is changing the usual meta. Top will be limited to bruisers, mid to casters, bot to adc/support and jungle to jungler.
Sure you can. Want to duo top? Queue jungle then tell your team you're going duo top. Want to double jungle? Queue Support then tell your team you're going double jungle. You'll face the same questions from teammates as you'd face today in solo/duo queue. People would be able to get creative within the system the same way they do now. And they can get cranky about what they want their teammates to do also, same as they do now. But for a vast majority of games, the meta really helps a lot, it's a shorthand that 5 strangers can use to formulate a solid battle plan in about 2 minutes during champ select and bans. Because that's all the time you get. This system wouldn't stop people from blazing new meta-trails, but really the people who are doing that are doing it in 5 man premades.

Bi11ionair

01-28-2013

Spell "queue" right.