What ELO hell actually is

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

White Nitro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

First off, if you're one of those kids who just says "you lost elo because you are bad," don't bother commenting. You will be ignored.

Anyway, I had been in the mid 1200s for a while (played ~150 ranked games at this point), and then had a losing streak and went down to the 1100s. However, since dropping to the 1100s it has been nearly impossible to climb out.

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking I am going to blame my teammates for "being noobs" and say the other team was OP. Well, you are just 100% wrong. I am not blaming my team for sucking or saying the other team was OP, but it has been impossible for me to get my back up because players below 1200 seem to have a completely different notion about how the game works, and the rules of champion select.

EXAMPLE: Since falling below 1200, everyone seems to think that they should automatically get whatever role they call, regardless of pick. At least 2/3 games that I have played at since dropping below 1200, two players end up arguing about who gets what lane, and one of them (almost always the lower pick) always ends up trolling the game by picking the same role (most times top mid or adc), and ****ing the entire team over, usually bot lane.

I know what you're thinking now too: Well if you really belonged at a higher elo you would carry your entire team on your shoulders. Guess what? I main ADC, and I can't carry when I have to 1v2 against another ADC with a support to back them up, or there is another troll ADC on my team who is actively trying to prevent me from farming. So no, it is not possible to carry my entire team under those circumstances. Maybe TPA or CLG could do something like this, but those of us who don't have unlimited time to play the game can't, so don't tell me it's realistic to be able to do this.

I really just don't know what to do anymore. Why can't people just learn the rules? Why do 75% of the players below 1200 elo think that they can just troll their lobby because someone with a higher pick wanted to play a role that they "called"?

Sushì

01-23-2013

the logic is, if you're good enough to carry yourself out of your elo, eventually you will. i think if you're seriously able to play at a 1500 level, after playing 100+ games at the 1100-1200 elo level, you'll win more than you lose and thus leave that elo range. elo hell is simply the bottom strata of your approximate elo range. (i.e. when people say "im 1500 elo" they actually mean "i play aruond 1350-1600 elo" and thus their elo hell would be around 1300-1400 which is the range where they can't carry, but isnt quite as high as they think they should be at)

drunkclover

01-23-2013

From experience the problem is trust. the truth is that in 1k - 1.2k elo there are most players just starting there ranking experience (rank games are different to normal) in which they probably lost caus of a bad mid, adc, top ect. Not trusting there team they all want the main gunning roles to try and carry, but the truth is in ranked u get people like urself and me included, that can play, can hold our lanes and can carry if were given the chance. when a new kid comes up against us generaly we will beat them, not all but most of the time.
I've heard this from lots of players and on many forums, ur best chance is to find a good DUO partner that can play his role well. I find it better if its mid and jungle for DUO (co-ordinate ganks).
Its simple maths really, each team consists of 5 idiots - If u play ur in a team of 4 idiots plus youself, if u have a friend too, then its 3 idiots plus you guys and you are against 5 idiots. (this made sense to me, i hope you get it )
GL

chris2423

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

so what you are saying, is your peak elo is in the 1200s and you are "stuck" in the 1100s? you arent gonna like to hear this, but what happened is you were never a 1200s elo player, your elo got higher than your skills, and thats when u had your losing streak that brought you down. now, you are finding it impossible to get back to where u were because your elo has stabilized at your skill level. the only way you are going to get out of "elo hell" or whatever you want to call it is to improve...and these forums aren't for improving, they are for trolling...or something like that.

Rahonavis

01-24-2013

My elo has stabilized at around 900, and realize when I'm on a losing streak that the matchmaking system is doing it's job. My win rate stays at about 50% with 3 or so games positive or negative. If I win a bunch of games eventually I go on a rough losing streak.

I think elo is working and keeping me in matches with opponents at my skill level

Sea Monsters

01-24-2013

I understand your frustrations with negative players. However, if you heavily suspect you are going to be stuck in a bad game, then you should dodge. The time penalty may seem harsh, but if you choose not to accept it, you're gambling Elo.

OriginalJack

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkclover View Post
I've heard this from lots of players and on many forums, ur best chance is to find a good DUO partner that can play his role well. I find it better if its mid and jungle for DUO (co-ordinate ganks).
Its simple maths really, each team consists of 5 idiots - If u play ur in a team of 4 idiots plus youself, if u have a friend too, then its 3 idiots plus you guys and you are against 5 idiots. (this made sense to me, i hope you get it )
GL
Make sure you find a duo partner arond your elo too. If you get one too high you might get pulled into games where you are outclassed and if they are too low they might be getting outclassed.

chris2423

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJack View Post
Make sure you find a duo partner arond your elo too. If you get one too high you might get pulled into games where you are outclassed and if they are too low they might be getting outclassed.
your making assumption that duo queues arent idiots. duo's throw games all the time. you being part of a duo and trusting someone else in the game doesnt mean that you both wont make retarded plays that lose you the game, especially if you are able to get into an elo higher than you would normally be able to because you are duo'ing.

adc

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2423 View Post
your making assumption that duo queues arent idiots. duo's throw games all the time. you being part of a duo and trusting someone else in the game doesnt mean that you both wont make retarded plays that lose you the game, especially if you are able to get into an elo higher than you would normally be able to because you are duo'ing.
I think the expectation is that you're duoing with a player whose skills you trust, and whom trusts your skills. I duo occasionally with an 1800 player because he trusts my ability to carry (or at the very least not feed - I'm not quite sure), even though I'm 1400 Elo.

Samman1200

01-24-2013

See, I had a bad first ten rounds and went straight to 800 elo, but I played for a day and carried my team every game and went from 800 elo to 1200. But now I am stuck in 1200 lol. Can't get past there though, need a good dou partner.