"Anchor" champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpoKey

10-22-2010

Gragas wut wut?

He's definitely anchor worthy. Probably the whole ship too.

Eviant

10-22-2010

For Anchoring the team, Morgana is one of the better ones in my opinion. Why? Tanky mage, allowing her to put herself where she is best...Between her opponents and her squishy teammates.

Ult is amazing for team fights, as it latches on to all nearby enemy champions instantly, and stays on them for 4 seconds, slowing them by 20%, and stunning them for 1.5/2/2.5 seconds if they stay in range. It's great for Setting up for kills, covering the escape of your team, as they are forced to get out of Soul Shackles Range and breaking off pursuit, or continuing pursuit only to wind up stunned, snared, and then dead.

Her DB (the Snare) Is great for initiating, or escape, and can sometimes turn the battle around just from the burst damage that it does.

Her Tormented soil is worth mentioning, due to it's great farming ability, as well as Early lane control, and nice damage, even if it is low in comparison to her other abilities.

Finally, the biggest reason she is a great anchor is, Black Shield. This provides protection from magic damage, up to a specified amount, and protects from all CC's while it is up. Should the damage limit not be reached, you can actually provide up to 8 seconds of immunity, giving your Carry a long stretch in where they are **** near untouchable.

Toss in the fact that she has passive spell vamp, up to 35% by level 13, and you have insane lane staying power, great control, both in lane and in team fights, and can lead your team to victory, just by becoming Mother Bear. So give her a try, and see what you think. She is difficult to learn, but a great asset to the team when played well.

SharpCheddarChee

10-22-2010

I think nasus is probably the champion you're looking for. In team fights, I've managed to get penta kills because of his ult. He's great because he can pop his W on the other team's DPS, his E where he's standing, use his ult, and then spam his Q. I haven't seen many heroes overcome a ult-ed nasus.

Amaterasuomikami

10-22-2010

'Anchor' characters are basically 'Support' in this game.

The biggest 'Anchor' currently is Sona, with her Auras and support just being around her 'anchors' your team. However alot of support are capable of it

Good 'Anchor' Support:
Sona, See above

Janna, Shields, slows, knockups, knockbacks and heals all with a passive teamwide movespeed boost

Morgana, Good DPS, A CC blocking shield, a great root, and a team fight changing ult that will slow then stun

Aura Sivir, Decent DPS on her own, great at farming, as long as the team is being a team she is useful. On the hunt has been HUGELY buffed.

Lux, Double roots, AoE shields, a placeable slow that controlls the battlefield and a pewpew ult on a low CD

However if your talking about leading a team to victory by being a team leader, then tank. If your a good tank EVERYONE will listen. Ive had whole teams follow me around in a soloque because i was initiating all kinds of hell.

Good tanks:
Alistair, 'Tankiest' tank, if your good hes amazing even in high elo. AoE stun, Knockback makes him the king of displacing people in team fights. He has a small heal for laning [and sometimes saving someones ass] and his R allows you to build DPS items and still remain an amazing tank.

Amumu, Team fight tank, bad lane phase. Has a skillshot stun, a small %health based damage aura, a nuke that hits enemies close to him, and his ult- possibley the most gamechanging teamfight ult. A 2.5 second AoE bind

Rammus, Scales amazing off armor, Powerball allows you to easily initiate and catch runners, Defensive ball curl makes you THE anti-DPS and gives you alot of survivability- Taunt is one of the best CC in the game and goes amazingly with DBC and his ult does decent AoE damage and is great for farming large creepwaves

Shen, More of a 'small fight' tank, he uses no mana, his Vorpal Blade causes you to regain a small amount of HP over time every time you hit, Feint blocks a small amount of damage, His taunt is AoE unlike Rammus, so if your good you can catch whole teams, and his ult changes the midgame by allowing him to save allies from accross the map- careful as his ult dosent scale well into the lategame

Ardeaf

10-23-2010

Lots of good feedback guys

Rismonaught

10-23-2010

Soraka.. cause nobody said it. Two heals, a silence to break channels. A low cooldown debuff spell good for proc'ing IL. Lots of fun builds can be had with her and she's a cheap character to aquire/play with. Pre-cast type latency on her starcall can sometimes clip targets a little bit outside the range of starcall. Any legit kills I get with her are usually somebody that was seemingly gonna get away but just got caught by starcall and an auto attack. She is a hardcore babysit.

A couple things to do with her;

Aggressive Soraka - Starcall is enhanced by a little Spell Pen and CDR. I don't get spell pen unless I can give up Merc Treads for it (You need a team with taunts/stuns to cover your starcall spam) but just that little pit of spell pen seems to do a lot for you. IL or Shureylia's in the begining of the late game keeps this build going. If you're gonna go this route you'll want to prioritize Q and E (probably E because the spam will oom you).

Chewier Soraka - You can't tank, but you most certainly can be good flamebait. If your soloque buddies aren't gonna bring a tank then you are gonna get eaten. So maybe go with a 2nd Dorian's, a PS, up to two Hearts of Gold, then grab a Spirit Visage. This build's gold/5 gives you flex options at 30 minutes if your tankless team is still in the game. Don't grab more than 1 Rank Starcall until you have Rank 4 of your Heal and Mana spells. This build usually becomes Shureylia's/Randuin's and then, just because I'm stacked CDR - the IL.

AP Soraka - Is not for dps, she is for hiding behind a very tanky team and keeping her healing role relevant even in the ginormous health pools some heroes put out. Mana stack a tear > Archangel. This build doesn't farm as well (because your starcall is probably not leveld past 1) so options are limited, but if you could get Glacial Shroud (Shield?) the CDR + mana towards AA would rock.

Your Ultimate - Can give you assists from safe places, don't be afraid to try a Soulstealer if you are confident in your ability to resist running to the front line to cast lvl 1 starcall in a stack build.

Rylai's - Can be rushed if your team obviously needs a snare (The AP can keep your heals kinda relevant). If you have a team that can cover you in the front line (With taunt/stuns) then snaring them with this can help setup channeled AoE Ults. (Nunu/Kat/Fiddles). Remeber that this build starts up on AP so don't go past starcall 1 if you aren't gonna grab pen boots.

Sheen -> CDR -> Starcall -> If you got a crazygood start. This can kinda give you the kinda skirmishing dps that might make them regret feeding a soraka lane. Remeber that you are squishy and starcall gets you into dangerous places. I wouldn't upgrade to lichbane though because that is more of an AP build and starcall sucks for that.. I would just have a sheen, and build into my aggressive CDR/Pen/Locket Soraka strat anyway.

The only reason I don't post? I haven't even gotten into ranked games yet. Throwin her out there cause I'm in love with her.

CarlosDanger66

06-30-2011

I'll hop in an recommend AP tf as well. You literally determine the pace of the game from bacdooring to pushing and ganking. A map control champion.

Have you tried jungling? Someone like noc, rammus or amu in the jungle

stiill

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by redorkulator View Post
Its funny cause my friends and I call the worst player on the team the 'Anchor', like draggin' everyone down.
Yeah, that's why I was gonna say Master Yi.

Tierren

06-30-2011

I think Taric would be the classic initiator. He heals and has a stun (He's a pally!) I would say Alistar is another great initiator but...too many times I see Alistars knock enemies back to their turrets and safety.