How much AP do you build on Nautilus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeoSeraphi

09-17-2013

Nautilus is my next champ to pick up and I'm wondering exactly how much tank and AP I should build on him. Rylai's seems like an obvious option, but Naut has AP ratios on all his skills and his shield is the only thing that scales off his health. Obviously I want Naut to tank, but if he has decent ratios I want to be able to take advantage of them too.

So, how's this for a build? Spirit of the Ancient Golem, Ninja Tabi, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Rod of Ages, Warmog's Armor, Spirit Visage

You end up with:

Tenacity
+3050 Health (+122 if you have Juggernaut)
+650 Mana
+104 Health Regen per 5 (including Warmogs and Spirit Visage)
+7 Mana Per 5
+25 Armor
+55 Magic Resistance
+160 Ability Power
+30% Cooldown Reduction

Ninja Tabi Passive
Butcher Passive
Rylai's Slow Passive
Spirit Visage Healing Passive

What do you guys think of this build? I'm worried about the low armor.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2013

I just worry about your ability to adapt. Every game you should build something different, because your opponents will change.

Its not a terrible build, TBH, its just an alright build. Rylai's isn't that great on Naut, as the slow passive doesn't apply to anything but his AOE ground shake thing. His hook's stun lasts almost as long as the slow, his ultimate's stun lasts longer than the slow, his shield doesn't apply it, and his AOE only gets like an 11% slow increase because its diminishing returns.

Naut is so strong because he does so much base damage not because he has good ability power ratios. If you want to do more damage on Naut, you should try building a Liandries Torment(Which gives you health, AP, and good tank killing ability), or Abyssal Scepter which also helps his base damage do more and gives you good MR.

Honestly, the only thing I see that makes me cringe is the Rylai's as the slow passive is basically just wasted. For the gold you spent, you could get a Frozen Mallet which would do MORE slowing and give you more health. I wouldn't buy that, either, but if that's your end goal to infinitely slow your opponent, then that would work better than the Rylai.

Rod of Ages is meh, for me, as well, but I could see it being helpful. The problem is you need (I think) 10 minutes to fully get all of the stats from it, and since you wouldn't be building it until at least second, it seems like wasted gold.

Great armor items for Naut:

Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen, Sunfire Cape, Thornmail(If you have a Warmog/Spirit golem already)

I Have 1 Gear GO

09-17-2013

Wasurenai

Master Recruiter

09-17-2013

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3862112

we can help u work out your questions and help u improve for FREE

NeoSeraphi

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephïroth View Post
I just worry about your ability to adapt. Every game you should build something different, because your opponents will change.

Its not a terrible build, TBH, its just an alright build. Rylai's isn't that great on Naut, as the slow passive doesn't apply to anything but his AOE ground shake thing. His hook's stun lasts almost as long as the slow, his ultimate's stun lasts longer than the slow, his shield doesn't apply it, and his AOE only gets like an 11% slow increase because its diminishing returns.

Naut is so strong because he does so much base damage not because he has good ability power ratios. If you want to do more damage on Naut, you should try building a Liandries Torment(Which gives you health, AP, and good tank killing ability), or Abyssal Scepter which also helps his base damage do more and gives you good MR.

Honestly, the only thing I see that makes me cringe is the Rylai's as the slow passive is basically just wasted. For the gold you spent, you could get a Frozen Mallet which would do MORE slowing and give you more health. I wouldn't buy that, either, but if that's your end goal to infinitely slow your opponent, then that would work better than the Rylai.

Rod of Ages is meh, for me, as well, but I could see it being helpful. The problem is you need (I think) 10 minutes to fully get all of the stats from it, and since you wouldn't be building it until at least second, it seems like wasted gold.

Great armor items for Naut:

Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen, Sunfire Cape, Thornmail(If you have a Warmog/Spirit golem already)
Okay, so what do you recommend then? Just one AP item like Liandry's or Abyssal, then straight tank?

I Have 1 Gear GO

09-19-2013

I rarely build Abyssal Scepter on Nautilus and that's the only AP item I ever get on him. His cooldowns are too long to make Liandry's really worth buying, his W procs it well but that really isn't too reliable of a damage source in team fights. Sunfire Cape is nice for increasing your damage and giving you tankiness. You will do plenty of damage just being in the front line for extended periods of time, not really any reason to get excessive amounts of AP.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2013

I don't really recommend an AP item unless your team just needs some damage. The previous poster stated your CD's and how it doesn't help with Liandries, Liandries is bought for the magic pen and health for Naut. It has nothing to do with the passive. The passive is nice, though, because it can help you dish out some additional damage and if its a tank fight in the end, it will likely be the difference in the battle.

(On a side note, Tank battles are the best fights in the game. They last like 10 minutes, and then the ADC comes and steals the kill from the kill from the Shen who just spend 45 seconds dealing damage)

The reason Abyssal and Liandries are the items you build is for the extra magic pen and not for the AP. Also, if you're looking to do more damage you can get away with buying Sorc Boots (Though, I still suggest Boots of Mobility as Naut is just slow as hell). They allow you to do a lot of damage, as well.

The Real Kowboy

09-20-2013

Cdr

Jaegermeifter

09-20-2013

Items i build or Naut. And ive played him alot, and got a decent win/loss ratio with him.

Are.....

Spirit of Golem
Merc treds/Mobility boots(only get them if they have low cc)
IceBorn Gaunt
Locket
Abyssal Scepter
Warmogs
Randiums

As fillers i get Guardian Angel, Thorn, or Banshees

And those are rarely, and none of those items are in order.