Lore, comparatively

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
The thing with Elise isn't necessarily the League letting her gain more fame, it's the idea that people will somehow be attracted to her cult because of the fame.

In her lore, the people Elise lured to their deaths were terrified when she revealed her true form. Now the whole world gets to see her true form on a regular basis. So how is anyone going to be stupid enough to fall for it? As much as we like to say "People are dumb," they normally aren't THAT dumb. It's suddenly quite obvious what happens to the followers that 'stay' at the Shadow Isles.

She had a good thing going already. She tricks unsuspecting people to go to the spider, she gains immortality from it. She needs to do this every so often, apparently. So what reason does she have to throw it away and go to the League...?
You say it better than me.
I'd also wonder- Aren't the legs on her back a dead give away? And the whole 'Hey, let's go to the SHADOW ISLES and have ourselves a jolly good time' advertising campaign would seem to be laden with ominous things. Perhaps someone could write what she says and how she beguiles people without her having to rely on the most gullible members of society.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montesque64

Senior Member

02-06-2013

Maybe "Trick people, sacrifice them, gain immortality" was only step 1 of the plan. Maybe the League plays into Step 2. Certainly, the influx of Shadow Isles champs indicates something broader may be afoot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Methelod

Senior Member

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
The thing with Elise isn't necessarily the League letting her gain more fame, it's the idea that people will somehow be attracted to her cult because of the fame.

In her lore, the people Elise lured to their deaths were terrified when she revealed her true form. Now the whole world gets to see her true form on a regular basis. So how is anyone going to be stupid enough to fall for it? As much as we like to say "People are dumb," they normally aren't THAT dumb. It's suddenly quite obvious what happens to the followers that 'stay' at the Shadow Isles.

She had a good thing going already. She tricks unsuspecting people to go to the spider, she gains immortality from it. She needs to do this every so often, apparently. So what reason does she have to throw it away and go to the League...?
Not at all! I must disagree on that facet. First of all, the league got away with denying the true existence of the void while holding the void champions (At the time Cho'gath and Kog'maw), to the average person it is likely to be a spectacle that people don't completely understand. Besides, certain abilities are likely granted from the fields of justice or at least improved providing an excuse away from that. Another possible excuse is that Elise transforms into a spider from the leagues magics, to favor their god. You have to remember, they do worship a giant spider god, and cults rely on people being desperate. It's how they gain members in real life so there is no reason why this logic could not apply into the game's lore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrouge

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
You're doing a lot to convince me here.

I understand that much, but where can I actually learn about those kingdoms?
Where can I learn anything about the nature of the cultures that DotA 2's heroes come from beyond one or two throwaway lines within their background?

It's perfectly fine if these things haven't been established yet, but they have in LoL - even if you personally don't care for them. The scope of DotA 2's world means nothing when it essentially consists of a bunch of place names with one line of information or a single tradition to define them.
I would have to side with Totalbiscuit in saying that LoL's lore is pretty crappy. While Dota 2 does not yet have a fully carved out world with in depth back-stories for heroes and places + official art for the landscapes etc. I found no problems at least trying to be intrigued by it. The same could not be done for LoL. It just doesn't click for me. Quality > quantity IMO. Riot seems to love the opposite (quantity > quality).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montesque64

Senior Member

02-11-2013

And what I've been arguing is that LoL's quality is also better. Now, if you disagree with me on that point (as you seem to), that's fine, let's discuss.

Particularly, what about Dota's lore draws you in more than LoL's? I agree that quality>quantity, but at the same time, you need a certain amount of quantity to create actual quality generally. DotA 2 has, at this point, again barring the vocal stuff which I haven't heard, so little lore actually available (in regards to world-building) that a discussion of its' quality seems moot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulsigae View Post
You say it better than me.
I'd also wonder- Aren't the legs on her back a dead give away? And the whole 'Hey, let's go to the SHADOW ISLES and have ourselves a jolly good time' advertising campaign would seem to be laden with ominous things. Perhaps someone could write what she says and how she beguiles people without her having to rely on the most gullible members of society.
Perhaps the Shadow Isles have some master plan that she has been called to help fulfill in the league.

Perhaps in the league she seeks a way to remain immortal without need of sacrificial cultists: she might think that the gig won't last forever.

Those are my two theories for why Elise joined the league.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montesque64

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Those both seem very plausible, Galgus.

I'd personally lean more towards it being some sort of broader plot, due to the other things which suggest stirrings in the Shadow Isles. I certainly look forward to finding out whenever Riot finishes their work on this Shadow Isles project!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
Perhaps the Shadow Isles have some master plan that she has been called to help fulfill in the league.

Perhaps in the league she seeks a way to remain immortal without need of sacrificial cultists: she might think that the gig won't last forever.

Those are my two theories for why Elise joined the league.
Vague but plausible. I haven't thought up of anything better yet.