Nami viability

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Epsilaun

01-24-2013

So, keep seeing posts about people saying Nami doesnt suck, but just dont see it, not only have i not seen a particularly good nami like i have a soraka, sona, or blitzcrank. But just based on her numbers/skills seems HIGHLY underwealming. Does someone care to enlighten me to what im missing, now mind you this is coming from someone who pretty much despises support, and likes blitz because of how disruptive he is as only person i do decent with in support.

Personal thoughts on why she doesnt seem that effective

Passive, very underwelming, doesnt last long or provide that much MS, feels like it should at least be lengthened a bit

Q fine except on few times i tried her it felt like the AOE size was deceiving, smaller than actual target AOE, and the fact that point blank shots and max range shots have same travel time doesnt make sense either.

w: doesnt heal that much, and the bouncing mechanic is a bit gimicky, should not have a MANDATORY target swap, should be able to bounce to 3rd target if second target unavailable (ex: bounce to 1 ally after healing someone, skipping damage if damage target is unavailable, same with damage bounce, but maxing at 2 targets because of lack of opposit type)

e: doesnt seem to last long enough, both hit limit and time limit are very small and provides 0 defense on top of it. Jana gives a decent ammount of AD which then scales into spells, unlike nami e. just seems like it should maybe last for full hit duration and not be boxed into a small time as well. or maybe only start the CD/time limit AFTER first shot hits, so it can be used as a prep thing

r: Not the strongest ulti but im fine with how it is, especially after speed boost it was given this patch

Now no pointless rage/flaming, but, what is it im missing when it seems that most other supports provide the same stuff but better?

Mynxii

Recruiter

01-25-2013

Nami's Q should be treated the same way Cho'Gath or Swain's AE skills are. Once you get into that mindset, landing Q's should be easier / more controlled, although the animation is definitely counter intuitive.

I haven't used her in awhile, because, as you said, there are other supports that 'feel' stronger and seem to synergize with other ADCs much better, but I'm sure she has her place somewhere. You can definitely change the tide of battle with a tight R > Q, but under similar circumstances, can do the same with Sona's R.

I believe I recall one of the pros mentioning Nami being really strong if played perfectly, but alas, that level is probably above most of us.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-25-2013

supposedly shes not viable but if you went based off how many pros play her often then anivia also would be considered nonviable.

Revelation22

01-25-2013

Play what you play best, do not feel you NEED to play her.

The end.

GiottoXIII

01-25-2013

i've used nami to great effect in my opinion her kit works well and synergizes with a passive-aggressive poke style champ like ezreal/ graves it allows them to keep healthy while expending limited mana to pour out a lot of damage and get away ( that passive) granted she takes a lot and i mean a lot of communication and to synergize with so her role is fairly niche.... I find she also works well with vayne because the passive helps vayne escape

Shattered Clock

01-25-2013

Nami is what I like to call "Jungle/kill secure Support."

She is far better at helping your jungler secure a solid gank in bot lane (or mid if you roll that way) than she is doing the traditional babysitting of the ADC.

She's something of a niche pick, but if you happen to have Xin, Vi, Sej, WW, Udyr, etc (anyone with a good engage/disrupt) as your jungler then your Q is basically mint.

Example:

Xin is waiting is bushes because like a good support you pinked said bush earlier and have cleared all the nasty enemy wards. Xin readies his Q and W as you appear to go off to place a ward as bait. Before or as Xin is engaging (depending on communication and whatnot) you buff Xin with E and lay your Q down on his target. Since Xin will knock them up your stun should hit. Throw a W down and E him once again. Kill secured.

I forget Hecarim. Oh lord does she work wonders with him.

omegam0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

Nami is just a champion that people have a hard time playing, its not that she isnt viable or that she is not good, just has a higher learning curve then she at first seems to have. I know when I pick in in ranked I never hear anything bad about my game with her. I have also had the other team complain a ton about me using her q on them. (hint, predict their movement and you can hit someone with it at least 75% of the time).