Intoducing the Dominion Mentor program!

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Golly

01-22-2013

!~This thread is subject to change~!

MajorUrsa came to me with an interesting proposition. In the course of posting on Reddit and these forums, there were several people who were new to Dominion who wanted to get into the mode more seriously.

This presents an interesting problem. As this thread points out, there is a certain mentality around Dominion. People consider it the relaxing mode. The goof off mode where they can blow 15 minutes when they don't have time for "a real game." So as a new player this is a bit frustrating especially when you want to play with good people.

The idea started off simply as grouping up lower elo people with high elo people.

If you've spent any measureable amount of time in the DominateDominion chat you will know that there are some people that actually seek out low elo people to reduce their queue times.

The idea was initially to pair these high elo people and low elo people together, for mutual benefit. But we quickly realized there was more that we could do to facilitate growth. We not only wanted to help these guys get into some good games, but to help them grow as players and potentially compete with other teams during the weekly tournaments.

After some brainstorming we came up with the idea of getting a few of our high elo friends to come in, and not only queue with them, but mentor them. Sponsor them, you could say. These people who are mentored would then be put into games with other trainees, and under the watchful eye of their mentors, could be guided into proper use of builds, items and meta.

Think of it as The Ultimate Fighter for Dominion.

Now, there will be some rules in place for the people seeking out a Mentor, but that isn't the point of this post for now.

What we need is more Mentors to volunteer.

MajorUrsa & KellyG have offered their services so far. As well as some others in the DD chat.

We are looking for 10 people total. We have already set up a chat channel DominionMentor for a place where people of high elo, can seek out to queue with people of low elo.

So if you are interested, please respond in this thread or simply message me in-game.

Thanks guys

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Good idea! SkyMoon and I have been talking about getting a weekly coach on the DD Twitch as well to stream one day a week. We would bring in different "coaches" every week. One for bottom lane, ganking, etc. etc. and viewers could submit their replays, the coach would go over them live focusing on just bottom lane (or whatever the topic is), what the person is doing wrong, what they should have done, etc.

Golly

01-22-2013

That would be awesome!

MajorUrsa

01-22-2013

Basically we want to create a place where lower elo players, or just players new to Dominion in general, can join up and find someone that knows the game thats willing to answer their questions and give them a jump start on understanding the game. We need people that understand all the core dominion gameplay principles and are comfortable with talking to new people over skype/vent/etc.

Looking forward to hearing from more of you, I think this could be a fun way to grow the community and get more people that were too intimidated to cross over from SR interested in playing a little Dominion!

PSS: Add DominionMentor to your clients chat, its where we'll be getting started.

Durin

01-22-2013

Sign me up! I been wanting to get in the Dominion scene. I even formed a team with some people but that fizzled out qucikly. But I still wanna get into Dominion scene!

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Great idea! I originally started my stream in hopes of helping people understand how to play dominion better and to give some insight into my own plays(for viewers and myself!). So this sounds like a good idea.

Duelpower

01-22-2013

This does sound somewhat fun. I'll keep it in mind I suppose.

MajorUrsa

01-22-2013

We'll be working on getting this program together along with the first batch of Mentors over the next week I imagine and Im looking forward to it becoming a success and bringing in more new faces. In the mean time, if you have some interest in joining the Mentor team please send me or Golly a message sometime this week so we can get a concurrent list of people who would like to participate.

If your looking forward to trying out the program, keep checking back here!!

Kholdstare13

01-22-2013

I'm interested to try it. I can't accurately describe what my games are like in the forums, but if elo hell is REALLY a myth, there should be something I could be doing to get out of it, without resorting to switching off of the more team-dependent champions I play even in solo queue. I'm sure one of you 10 revive tier players could point some things out. I would love to get out of the elo of uncooperative tunnel-vision 1v4-top-diving map-blind ping-ignoring blame-bot-first bait-chasing don't-even-read-patch-notes-to-know-about-new-lb/sweeper report-people-for-valid-alternative-builds teammates who don't even listen when you try to calmly talk about strategy.

I REALLY want to play dominion as a team game, and if anything this would give me the opportunity to queue with other players who can do just that, and get me away from the rage inducing every man for himself mentality. Hopefully I would also get a nice elo boost from my games with the mentor, as well as tips to raise it in general until I finally get matched with real teams in solo queue.

davyo11

01-22-2013

Where would we sign up as a mentor or person who wants to learn?

1234511 ... 15