How do you gain ELO?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unkynd

01-21-2013

Not trying to troll.. I just don't get it? For every game I lose I usually lose 14 ELO whereas for every game I win I usually gain 11 or 12, never more than 12 but sometimes as low as 5 or 6.

Even at 12 per game, the more games I play the harder it is to gain ELO. I need to maintain a greater than 70% win rate which I have not seen anyone with.

I've always been over 50% win, at times over 60%.. but still constantly fighting an uphill battle.

Is it normal to have to maintain 70%+ win rate to gain ELO rating or am I getting trolled by the system?

I feel like I'd have to be worth at least 600 ELO higher than I am to carry my teams 70%+ of the time, what with tons of AFKs, feeders, etc. (Not making an argument about my ELO as I assume these exist all over and that is why nobody has such a high win rate).

It just seems like the system would be more fair if you actually gained points for winning most of your games regardless of how little that might be over the 50% line?

Banana Dragon

01-22-2013

The elo you gain or lose is based on the elo of your team compared to theirs. personally i would love if you could earn up to 14 elo depending on the elo difference (10 elo min) but lose 11 elo a game always.

Selcopa

01-22-2013

elo gains after the first 77 games are always between 11-14 with very rare duo queue and server instability exceptions. a 50% winrate will maintain your elo, anything above 50% will make it rise, below makes it fall

source: 2000 ranked games