See How much your reporting is worth?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JamesThuy

01-22-2013

So basically riot says that depending on if your reports get a pardon or punish, they increase or decrease how much your reports are worth. Shouldn't there be a way to let us know how much our reporting is worth? I believe it will help others know if they are too quick and just report for little things that should be punished for. If they see they're reports are dropping to an abysmal level, then it will allow them stop and think and refrain from spam punishing and only punish true vile acts, and not just anger from losing a game.

Sure I suppose one can argue that friends with high reporting and get together and report someone, but as riot says, it takes more than one or two reports from premades or whatnot. So I don't really see anything negative about allowing us to see.

MakJuice

01-22-2013

You can add this to the list of multiple things that we cannot see about our account but Riot says is "really happening"..

KimKelley

01-22-2013

I like the idea in general. Let me see if I can play devil's advocate a bit though.

Would this not, in general, encourage more people to report? If they know they have "report weight' available, maybe they'd think they should be using it. Also, this would also allow the elucidation of the report-weight algorithm. Riot might not want that available to avoid trolls from riding the report-weight line (i.e. reporting at exactly the correct amount that keeps their reports worth something rather than having them continue to report a lot, thereby always having their reports be meaningless).

I think I have talked myself out of liking your idea. The system, as is, allows people who judiciously report to have weight and excludes people who report spam. So this idea would merely put report spammers back into the pool of reports, which i think we can all agree we do not want.

dignitas Rampant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

I think KimKelley's point about riding the line is probably the biggest problem this suggestion has. There are already too many complaints about false reports and report abuse to facilitate those false reports actually meaning something.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesThuy View Post
So basically riot says that depending on if your reports get a pardon or punish, they increase or decrease how much your reports are worth.
They never said that.

In fact, they said that punish/pardon is not used as a metrics to define if your reports are accurate or not.

The only thing they said, is that your reports lose their weight to 0 if you make too many false reports.
How they define what is a "false report" though, is something that they never told us.

Besides, what is the point on telling someone that their weight is reduced? I am sure this would bring nothing but rage from people who abuse report, while bringing no benefits for people who use it properly.

Akado Bayushi

01-22-2013

This sounds like a good idea right away, but I think it's also like the idea to show how close you are to a Tribunal case.

The good part of this is that you can know if you need to tone down your reporting.

The bad parts are:
- People that need to tone down their reporting probably don't agree that they need to stop reporting.
- Trolls will either ride the line, as KimKelley says, or see that their reports are meaningless and try to get others to report for them

My assumption is that most people do not need to worry the weight of their reports, just like most people do not need to worry about how close they are to a Tribunal case. Making this visible would just give people something else to worry about, when they should instead be trying to not be jerks, and enjoying the game.

AnonTwo

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakJuice View Post
You can add this to the list of multiple things that we cannot see about our account but Riot says is "really happening"..
private data is private.

Besides, i'm sure there would be a lot of complaints from people if they saw their reports didn't mean anything from excessive poor use.

Quote:
The good part of this is that you can know if you need to tone down your reporting.
That's not a good thing. You should never think you shouldn't report. If you are reporting wrong consistently enough that your weight is low to begin with, you're doing something wrong. But that doesn't mean that person will never find a bad player to report, and they should be allowed to just continue reporting. The person reporting should never feel discouraged to report

JamesThuy

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTwo View Post
private data is private.

Besides, i'm sure there would be a lot of complaints from people if they saw their reports didn't mean anything from excessive poor use.
Let them complain, if they're spam reporting, that is their fault. It can at least let people know their report weighs nothing and try not to abuse it and bring it back up.

dignitas Rampant

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTwo View Post
That's not a good thing. You should never think you shouldn't report. If you are reporting wrong consistently enough that your weight is low to begin with, you're doing something wrong. But that doesn't mean that person will never find a bad player to report, and they should be allowed to just continue reporting. The person reporting should never feel discouraged to report
Unless they had been specifically notified by Riot when they did the one purge of abusive reporters. At that point, yes they should be a bit discouraged.

JamesThuy

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
I like the idea in general. Let me see if I can play devil's advocate a bit though.

Would this not, in general, encourage more people to report? If they know they have "report weight' available, maybe they'd think they should be using it. Also, this would also allow the elucidation of the report-weight algorithm. Riot might not want that available to avoid trolls from riding the report-weight line (i.e. reporting at exactly the correct amount that keeps their reports worth something rather than having them continue to report a lot, thereby always having their reports be meaningless).

I think I have talked myself out of liking your idea. The system, as is, allows people who judiciously report to have weight and excludes people who report spam. So this idea would merely put report spammers back into the pool of reports, which i think we can all agree we do not want.
That wouldn't work... Sure they know their reports are worth something I suppose they can, but once it hits the tribunal, and it will pardon and they will lose it. People false report all the time already, for losing your lane, for whatever, if you don't play their way