I'm genuinely confused about Riot's decisions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GaspingTruth

01-22-2013

Long post, tl;dr at the end

I've made this thread before, but apparently nobody cared. I hope someone cares now, because I still do.

Riot has been a great company, partially because it has been forced to as it was once but a startup company competing against giants such as EA and Blizzard, but in my honest opinion, also due to its genuine dedication to its playerbase. Riot is a game developer that does not only want to make moeny (because there ARE higher paying jobs that many of these people, except morello because he has no college degree, are capable of), but also make a real change in the industry, or even the world.

Before League of Legends, Starcraft 2 had the largest competitive scene. However, it's casual following was nowhere near as 'great' (I use the word loosely) as League of Legends. Gamers were spread across all genres, all different fields and all different games within a genre. Age of Empires 3 players rarely played Dawn of War 2, Total War players stuck towards a 'core' of RTS games between Total War and Paradox Interactive titles, Console gamers generally detested PC games and PC gamers had no real reason to buy a console because they already had the exact same game on PC.

League of Legends has acted as a common ground, a common medium for all the world to enjoy. According to the latest LoL infographic, it is the most played game in the world. Everywhere you go (on the internet), you see league of legends seeping into established (internet) locations. The 'serenes forest' forums, a Fire Emblem fansite, has league of legends sections. While I was playing with the devs of Tryst, a failed RTS game, everybody was throwing around League of Legends jokes, calling people 'real huehuehuehuehue' after a successful rush or nuke or whatever. My short stint at Age of Empires Online (which is a terrible game, mind you, but would be easily salvaged if Riot took over its development) had numerous people asking me about League of Legends (I was stuck for a name and chose DEMACIAAAAAAAAAAA).

Lol is everywhere, and Riot has reason to be proud. They have done what developers and publishers have been trying to do for years - create a game that appeals to everyone and is profitable at the same time. And the best part of it all, is that they have done it through honesty and hard work. They haven't turned back on their promises, like EA has, or Sony has. They have brought great pride and credibility to the industry. No longer is 'gamer' a pejorative term used to describe a 12 year old with no life or girlfriend. No longer is 'gamer' immediately associated with virginity, obesity and lack of social life. Everyone plays lol. Even those who don't can't escape its influence, in the same way that all Americans are infleunced by Baseball, all Australians have to put up with hours of TV being taken up by cricket, all Germans with the euro crisis... even if they don't care much for it themselves.

Success has been brought through honesty, hard work and dedication.

Honesty, hard work, and dedication.

Which is why I'm a little confused at three of Riot's MAJOR decisions. And I truly, truly, truly am confused, considering Riot's otherwise remarkable record at (you guessed it) honesty, hard work, and dedication.

I'll start with what I believe to be the least offending case, then move up in severity.

1. Selling yourselves out for a "better" public image
And by that I don't mean getting investment money from Tencent, or holding your grand finals right in the ccentre of the street so nobody can miss it. I don't criticise you for using smart business practice in order to raise awareness for your game and keep it going.

But I am curious as to why you "outsource" (for lack of a better word) parts of your e-sports team to people who are quite well known in the e-sports an gaming communities, but are also quite incompetent, an to be quite frank, SOMETIEMS HATE YOUR GUTS

I'm sure that we all remember certain grievances against certain casters, such as TheHatPerson, who's commentary was little more than stutering over 'hot****gg', yelling into the micrphone an simply reiterating what is happenign on the screen with no meaningful insight, we all remember Scumbag Jatt an Scumbagg Matt, but this isn't what I'm most confused about. We can simply say that thehatperson is incompetent, but bears no ill will towars the game or community, and that Jatt and Matt should be held innocent until proven guilty. Besides, one now works with Riot and no longer plays professionally, and I haven't seen the other since the incident at all.

There are two specific incidents that stick out in my mind regarding this issue
1. Curse vs. Dig ARAM in the grand final of MLG - both teams were disqualified for collusion/match fixing. While there is no reason you SHOULDN'T disqualify or otherwise reprimand a team for matchfixing, MLG provided COMPLETELY BULL**** evidence that this occurred. They changed their story more than Mitt Romny did during his election campaign WITHIN THE SPACE OF FOUR TWITTER TWEETS (pic as an attachment). Rather than remain silent on the issue, Riot OPENLY SUPPORTED MLG's decision, with Redbeard saying that 'curse was not disqualifed for ARAM, but collusion', of which THERE HAS STILL BEEN NO REALISTIC EVIDENCE.
2. Hiring DJwheat as a caster for NA season 3 qualifiers. Riot, you have just hired someone who not only knows jack **** about Leauge of Legends and is unqualified to cast even a 900 elo match, such as thehatperson, but you've hired (used) somebody who OPENLY ADMITS HATES YOUR GAME and has demonstrated this hate with EXTREME PREJUDICE towards anyone who plays it. this thread explains the situation in more detail
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2720795

So Riot, why do you so easily cave into pressure regarding your e-sports scene, something that both you and the gamers pride themselves on as a remarkable success, only for it's creaters to sell themselves short?

2. NA to EU transfers
I'm not sure whether this should go as no.2 or no.3 but personal bias I guess has led me to put this at no.2

Since forever, Riot has refuse it's players the ability to transfer from NA to EU. Jozreal has openely claimed that this was due to 'technical limitations'. Then, Riot releaesd a turkey server...

Step 1. Transfer from NA to Turkey as part of Turkey's server launch
Step 2. Transfer from Turkey to EUNE (not sure if this is necessary)
Step 3. Transfer from EUNE to EUW ( if necessary)

And congrats, you are now from NA to EU.
Shortly after this was posted, Riot removed the ability to transfer from NA to Turkey. Why, riot? Jozreal (or rather, Jozreal on behalf of riot) OPENLY LIED to our faces about why we cannot transfer from NA to EU. WHY NUNU WHY???? This stinks of conspiracy which has not been adequately addressed. RIot's policy has been silence, and it seems to have worked becuase I haven't seen this pop up since forever.

Honesty, hard work and dedication. All I see is dedication in covering this issue up.

A thread on the issue is linked. There are also plenty of other threads on the issue, and reddit posts explaining the work-around and subsequent cover-up.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1759059

3. Oceanic/Australian/NZ Server
I have put this at no.3 partially due to personal bias as an Australian, but also due to Riot's peculiar behaviour.

Whereas for no.1, Riot agreed with MLGs bull**** decision. No.2, riot lied to us first. No.3, Riot...hasn't said much at all, really.

Riot's reasons for not replying to some threads are understandable. They dont want to spread false information, or raise hopes and then not live up to those expectations.

There are reasons why I believe that approach is somewhat lacking, but that is not what I'm here to discuss here.

An Australian server is well within Riot's reach. Basically every game has it. Because of it's Australian server, Australians are the second largest demographic (country wise) playing Natural Selection 2. PLENTY of small games (small in comparison to Lol), such as Blacklight Retribution, SWTOR, and even Dota 2 have Australian servers. RUNESCAPE has Australian servers. Hell, even GARENA TAIWAIN has Australian servers, which route through Sydney and can reduce our ping from 400 to about 140 or lower (depending on how good it was originally).

Let me say that again. A TAIWANESE company that PROVIDES LOL TO TAIWAIN is doing a better job at providing Australians League of Legends than Riot games is.

There should be ABSOLUTELY NO LOGISITICAL reason why Australian server cannot happen. Plenty of other games have them, none of them are bankrupt, and considering the number of League of Legends players there's no reason to believe Riot would go bankrupt.

Their silence isn't because they fear to disappoint us, becaues EVEN JAGEX can get an Australian RUNESCAPE server. If they can do it, there's no reason Riot can't.

tl;dr

Honesty, Hard Work and Dedication. Riot, your track record leads me to believe that you do genuinely care about your game, and your community. This is why I cannot write you off (yet) as simply not caring enough, and why I'm extremely confused and your actions regarding the aformentioned three issues.

EDIT: uploaded attachment

Skarthe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Usually this kind of thread's just full of rage, but you seem to have taken the time to actually write out what you think in a calmer manner. So, a bump from me.

GaspingTruth

01-22-2013

Thanks for the support.

GaspingTruth

01-22-2013

Last bump before this is consigned to the dustbins of history

wolfezin

01-22-2013

I find the fact riot refuse to respond to this matter in over 6 months very insulting. played this game for years and i support it 100% but this is just rude... ignoring all oceanic players, At least give us an update on your progress..

Almight Aza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Bump

OmgWtfNamestaken

01-22-2013

Wow.

Did not know this happened.

The Soraka

01-22-2013

Support.
inb4 riot forum mod closes this thread.
I have it bookmarked so i can check.

GaspingTruth

01-22-2013

I just want to make it clear, that this is not a Riot hate-thread.

I strongly believe that Riot is a good company, considering its track record. That's why I'm confused at why Riot is making some of these stranger decisions.

I'm like that little guy holding onto the belief that santa clause is real, despite some damning evidence.

VanceStubbs

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarthe View Post
Usually this kind of thread's just full of rage, but you seem to have taken the time to actually write out what you think in a calmer manner. So, a bump from me.
No it is full of rage, but hidden in loads of text.

But hey, avarage forum reaction: Long post -> must mean he's smart, +1!

When frankly this is a qq thread begging for attention even if that would ACHIEVE ****ING NOTHING!
1) an already resolved problem that was pretty much beyond Riot's control anyway
2) and 3) Why? Technical and Legal reasons. There's nothing to say here, unless you want them to say "Soon", I guess that would make you feel better
(psst, no it won't)