Does it bother you that girls in LoL are portrayed as *** objects and nothing else?

Yes, it bothers me 35 18.72%
I don't really mind/notice 72 38.50%
Nope, I like it. 80 42.78%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Despicably sexist LoL art

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bonesax

01-24-2013

I disagree. We need more half naked objects walking around.

Actually, I didn't take the time to read much of it. You just seem like the type of guy that thinks "If I'm nice to women, they will sleep with me", and that's just from skimming it.

But back to topic, it's a video game, not real like. Go join a feminist group if you really hate things like this.

Failure Option

01-30-2013

YO dude! hows it going?

On topic: First and foremost, I to a small degree agree with you there are a few women in this game that have bodies that are almost supermodel quality and armor that leaves little to the imagination. HOWEVER! I do not agree with them being view-able as *** symbols, the fact is any character be they armored like a fortress or wearing next to nothing, nor does it matter if they are built like a smoking hot actor/ actress, or like an everyday schmo, any character can be viewed as a *** symbol to the right person. At this moment I'm 100% sure some guy/ girl is getting off on Cho'Gath and Kah'Zix... hell even Urgot and Annie.

MrJayGoBOOM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackArach View Post
I thought I allowed for 3 points of view ie 1) agrees with me 2) is neutral 3) disagrees. What poll options would you have prefered to see?
It's the way that you phrase the answers. There's an obvious bias in the options you give, some people may say "no" and they don't actually enjoy the art work. By making the dissenting choice have the misogynistic tag "I like it" you immediately straw-man any dissenters into being a leering pervert who just wants eye-candy. The entire survey is inevitably written from your perspective however when making something like a survey one usually tries to create answers as free from their own tinted values as much as possible.

I, a heterosexual male, answered "No, I like it" Because that's the truth however just because I admit to enjoy human anatomy draw in a fanciful way doesn't indite me as a sexist pig. Until you concede that point your argument stands on a much weaker basis. I wouldn't mind seeing say a female version of Twitch, or Urgot, but hey There are some pretty conservative female characters: Syndra, Vi, Caitlyn, Riven, sure they have special skins that sexualizes them, but hey so do the male ones.

Also on your point about Yordles, there are male Yordles too.

I know on a larger socio-economic scale the argument of "Well there are sexualizations of men all over the place" doesn't quite stand, but I think in League's case it really does. Especially comparatively, League has one of the most diverse character pools of I'm willing to say almost any game out there so I really don't think we should be putting Riot under fire because they've really actually been pretty good about it.

KielChaos

01-31-2013

Look at Varus, Lee Sin, Kassadin's unmasked skin... aside from the grungy and rotten people like Trundle and Yorick, the males are all built too. I think it's just a sexy game in general, but you overlook the males because they're unattractive. I did too until I saw them cosplayed.

Deadzomby

01-31-2013

Go back to Kotaku please

DalisDL

01-31-2013

i like Annie, Lulu and Trist... Heterosexual male here, so... mostly look for cuteness?... that... or i have some serious problems...

ALSO, Vi's clothes are well a full armor so... still... dem hips...

Bux Zántel

01-31-2013

Quote:
It's my problem not the game's? Take a look at this picture of riven. Now replace her sword with a pole. Instant pole dancer posture. Add that to cloth that conforms to her boobs and ass tighter than is possible, and the obvious playboy reference... That's not me making **** up. That's how the art has been drawn.
Thats like saying "Hey, look at Katarina's splash art, and then imagine d i c k s in her hands instead of knives. Its so sexist"

Its not actual evidence of sexism in Riot's splash art, nor does it make your argument seem intelligent or logical.

Stealth Cupcake

02-01-2013

Quote:
Hello,

It's come to my attention that LoL, like many video games, tries very hard to objectify women through it's portrayal of females ingame. I would say that from my experiece, this game is particularly bad.

I'd like to see what other people think about this topic. I for one am sick of the portrayal of the female champions in LoL as *** objects and not much else. Sure, I'm a guy, and I enjoying attractive females, but being stick thin, wearing nearly nothing, having giant boobs and talking in a sultry voice is not what I consider attractive. I'd far prefer the females in this game to be portrayed in a way which made me interested about their character, as many of the males are.

I feel there is little point in me listing examples, because nearly all females in LoL fit this theme. Something I have noticed is that out of the non-human champs, nearly all are male, except anivia, who is portrayed as old, elise, who fits the theme except in spider form, and annie, poppy, lulu and tristana who are portrayed as children. All the other non-humans are male. This just shows that Riot wants to be able to portray unique, interesting champs without having to slather them in sexual imagery as they seem compelled to do with their human females.

No only does it make the females characters in this game less fun to play, I'm sure it also discourages girls from playing this game. I've heard that only 10% of LoL players are girls. Maybe that would be higher if there were cool female characters they could relate to as there are for us guys? I'm pretty sure the current portrayal of girls ingame would just be degrading and make them feel inadequate. Because of course the portrayal of female characters in LoL is completely unrealistic. I'd be curious to hear from any female players here about this issue, if there are any...

Disclaimer: Yes I'm a heterosexual male.
Someone make a freaking TL;DR

Lolita Theory

02-01-2013

As a female player, I personally would be very amused to see, let's say, a fat Katarina try and Shunpo around; It just wouldn't ever happen realistically. The only thing that bothers me with Riot's choice of portraying all the sexier female champions is that a lot of them are anatomically incorrect, I don't care if they're a ****ty ***** (Bunny-Girl Riven, Nurse Akali, Janna, etc) , flat-chested (Lux, Annie) , or even a Yordle though. They have as much a variety for the females as they do for the males. However, they do seem to have a lot more male champions than they do females. All in all, I believe Riot just does what is aesthetically best for their game to attract as many potential "buyers" as possible.

Lolita Theory

02-01-2013

Lol, censors.

123456 ... 7