Does it bother you that girls in LoL are portrayed as *** objects and nothing else?

Yes, it bothers me 35 18.72%
I don't really mind/notice 72 38.50%
Nope, I like it. 80 42.78%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Despicably sexist LoL art

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBlackArach

01-22-2013

Hello,

It's come to my attention that LoL, like many video games, tries very hard to objectify women through it's portrayal of females ingame. I would say that from my experiece, this game is particularly bad.

I'd like to see what other people think about this topic. I for one am sick of the portrayal of the female champions in LoL as *** objects and not much else. Sure, I'm a guy, and I enjoying attractive females, but being stick thin, wearing nearly nothing, having giant boobs and talking in a sultry voice is not what I consider attractive. I'd far prefer the females in this game to be portrayed in a way which made me interested about their character, as many of the males are.

I feel there is little point in me listing examples, because nearly all females in LoL fit this theme. Something I have noticed is that out of the non-human champs, nearly all are male, except anivia, who is portrayed as old, elise, who fits the theme except in spider form, and annie, poppy, lulu and tristana who are portrayed as children. All the other non-humans are male. This just shows that Riot wants to be able to portray unique, interesting champs without having to slather them in sexual imagery as they seem compelled to do with their human females.

No only does it make the females characters in this game less fun to play, I'm sure it also discourages girls from playing this game. I've heard that only 10% of LoL players are girls. Maybe that would be higher if there were cool female characters they could relate to as there are for us guys? I'm pretty sure the current portrayal of girls ingame would just be degrading and make them feel inadequate. Because of course the portrayal of female characters in LoL is completely unrealistic. I'd be curious to hear from any female players here about this issue, if there are any...

Disclaimer: Yes I'm a heterosexual male.

Bioness

01-22-2013

Agreed.

I am a homosexual male by the way.

TheBlackArach

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioness View Post
Agreed.

Not sure if troll but if not, thanks for the support.

Bioness

01-22-2013

No, not troll I am completely serious.

I figured multiple perspectives is good, so a person with little to no sexual interests in females and is also not one, is also irritated at the depiction of them in this game.

Take for instance Kayle, she was in full armor and before they released an "Unmasked" Kayle, now every new skin is showing her face despite lore saying she wants to hide it and her outfits are getting more and more tight fitting. And of course the most obvious offender..Miss Fortune, the way she is posed should break her back!

Amorfis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioness View Post
Agreed.

Me as well. And i can say that we are the most neglected community in LoL.
I mean, Riot is doing everything to sell to the casual player (which is, a young straight male). I wont object to that. But there's a limit, somewhere.
There are only few champions that are rumored to be gay, and one of them is actually a bad joke (yes Taric, I'm talking about you). On the other hand there are gaziiiiiiiiiillions of buff males and oversexualized females in the league.
The one female that isn't oversexualized should actually be a boy, in my opinion! (...of course the casual straight male likes Vi, because every champ should be a hot girl, why not? -.-)

Anyways. Riot, either respect all the communities and try to express them well, or don't do it at all. Only caring about the few major one's is a racist's view, at the least.

Skynade

01-22-2013

Your question is biased. You're assuming that everyone sees the portrayal of females as "***" objects in this game.

I do not. I think the way many of the females are drawn is in an extremely powerful manner and find it very alluring as such. The fact that you envision the females as *** objects is what people should actually be worried about.

If you're going to have problems with this game's portrayal of women, I honestly think you should learn to distinguish between what real sexist material is versus poses that aren't. Nothing in this game is overtly sexist to women, it's simply your own mind that's seeing something like so. The problem is, a lot of people won't realize this because the game is full of hormone driven males, with the non-hormone driven males and females being under-represented in League population.

Hence, no one will really realize this unless someone mentions it. And even when one person mentions it, many will not find it easy to agree to the truth of things, because they are in the hormone-driven state of mind. And frankly, this is 90% of League's population.

a Fatality

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Find a video game that doesn't show hot women scantily clad. Furthermore, for my homosexual friends, only one champions shows their panties in this game. I'm talking about my man Udyr. Not to throw stereo types around, but that's one dude that most of the Homosexuals can like. If you want a "Bear" to hug, or a mountain cat (Tiger) in the sheets, he's got it all. He even cooks (Phoenix) and he's sensitive (Turtle). Round all that out with a well toned physique and the fact that he shows his underoos, (death animation) you've got some gay friendly work there.

Personally, I'm more neglected than you are. Where my Vegan champions with Aspergers at?

Mondreus

01-23-2013

... Another thread?

Fantasy game. Fantasy people. Fantasy clothes. Fantasy bodies.

If you see the female characters in LoL as *** objects, then YOU have the problem, not Riot.

Garthul

01-23-2013

Troll poll, troll thread. If you wanted a serious discussion, allow for actual dissent in your poll.

This is like a Fox News poll or something.
"How bad do you think Obama is doing on his second term?"
-Kind of bad
-Pretty bad
-Bad
-Really bad
-Worse than Hitler

TheBlackArach

01-23-2013

It's my problem not the game's? Take a look at this picture of riven. Now replace her sword with a pole. Instant pole dancer posture. Add that to cloth that conforms to her boobs and ass tighter than is possible, and the obvious playboy reference... That's not me making **** up. That's how the art has been drawn.

I've seen that Riot members are fairly active on this forum; I'd be curious to know their perspective on this.

Another perspective I'd be interested to see would be that of the female LoL gamer. I know I showed some of the female LoL art to a female friend of mine and she burst out laughing at how rediculous their portrayal of females is.

Quote:
Troll poll, troll thread. If you wanted a serious discussion, allow for actual dissent in your poll.
I thought I allowed for 3 points of view ie 1) agrees with me 2) is neutral 3) disagrees. What poll options would you have prefered to see?

12345 ... 7