How can I get better at this game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WeedleTwineedle

01-21-2013

Alright, So my main problem I have is feeding too much no matter what role I play and we lose 75% of game because of me. I started playing League in November and I'm level 25 but I'm still really bad and can't play any role without feeding. I'm starting to lose hope. I queue with my level 30 friends and myself and I still fail. If I try solo queue those people are better than me too so I have no idea how to get better. I play Mid and support and I'm bad at both. I guess some example champions I play are Lux, Ahri, Vladimir, Taric, Leona. Any idea/methods I can use to get better. If I do win its because the team carries me on their back and I really don't want to win like that. I'm starting to feel this game isn't me.

I've tried many different champions too like
Mid- Morgana, Ezreal, Xerath, Ziggs, Vlad, Ryze, Fizz, Brand

Support- Soraka, Lulu, Nunu

Top- Darius (who I fail at, yes failing with Darius) Vlad, Cho' Gath.

I've never jungled or Adc'd but yeah. I don't know what my problem is. Early lane I do ok. I mean my farming isn't perfect but its not horrible and my harass is so and so but somehow I just lose every game. Do you have any suggestions that I can do that can make me better?

BrAdLeY3x

01-21-2013

Do you overextend a lot or get caught out of position? That may be one of the major factors of you losing games, as you feed the enemy, they become stronger, and it leaves your team vulnerable to a 4v5 teamfight.

Try to position yourself well, don't ever try to go into their jungle, unless you know it's safe, if the enemy jungler isn't at any lanes ganking, don't try take their wraiths as most likely, the jungler will be there, and the mid will follow, leading it onto a 2v1.

Good luck on the Fields of Justice.

WeedleTwineedle

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAdLeY3x View Post
Do you overextend a lot or get caught out of position? That may be one of the major factors of you losing games, as you feed the enemy, they become stronger, and it leaves your team vulnerable to a 4v5 teamfight.

Try to position yourself well, don't ever try to go into their jungle, unless you know it's safe, if the enemy jungler isn't at any lanes ganking, don't try take their wraiths as most likely, the jungler will be there, and the mid will follow, leading it onto a 2v1.

Good luck on the Fields of Justice.
I mean I try not to overextend but usually it ends up just them randomly jumping me as support and killing me and mid they just get in my face. As Taric I don't know when to stun to set up a kill so usually when I could use it I don't and I'm not a huge help to the ADC.

BrAdLeY3x

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedleTwineedle View Post
I mean I try not to overextend but usually it ends up just them randomly jumping me as support and killing me and mid they just get in my face. As Taric I don't know when to stun to set up a kill so usually when I could use it I don't and I'm not a huge help to the ADC.
Okay, you're Taric. You're a support for the adc, this is simple.
Early Game, if the enemy is near you (ADC, always), and they're about to last hit, use your E to stun them, or initiate for your adc to help you kill him (make sure your adc takes the kill, if he can't, just kill them for the assist gold). That'll ensure you'll have a better chance, I personally really hate laning with Taric because of his E, so I play passive and take as much cs as I can (which is little).

Mid game, you should start to get a little tankier, and build lots of items - Sightstone, Bulwark etc (I'm not a support player, but I know what to do xD). Whenever you guys engage a fight, whoever tries to focus your adc (a bruiser most likely, like Xin or Nocturne), stun them and help your adc kill him.

Same applies for late game.

The reason why they may be focusing you is because you're probably too close to the actual teamfight, of where your tanks are, you should be with your adc at ALL times (if your adc dies, then bruiser or whoever deals the most damage), you're a support, all you could do is stun, and heal, that's great, but your stun really could change a teamfight, just by stunning their bruiser / adc, they lose massive amounts of damage they could've gotten, and they lost the potential of winning the game.

Flash + Exhaust on Taric is recommended, because you simply can Exhaust the ADC (70% attack speed and 30% attack damage and 75% movement speed reduced if I'm correct), so for a meanwhile, their adc can't do anything.

Usually, they should have - 1 Support, 1 ADC, 1 Mage, 1 Bruiser and 1 Jungle (Tank). The tank and bruiser should be initiating, however bruisers should be aiming for your adc, if you stun the bruiser with your E and exhaust their adc, they can't do much unless they have Cleanse or QSS, this is where the beneficial part comes in.

Exhausting their adc and stunning their bruiser makes them lose tons of damage, also, it gives your team a chance to destroy their tanks, bruisers and maybe their apc. If you do, look, their adc is vulnerable, so all you do is chase and chase, then you can maybe take out a few inhibs and do Baron for their lost, and you've turned a game around!

Even though I'm not a very good player, I do know what's more important to do, usually when I'm adc, I destroy their bruiser that focuses me, and then I head straight onto their adc, which usually means a win for me (unless they have ridiculous amounts of CC, then I'm ****ed).

But I hope I've solved your problem.

Namo Wamo

01-22-2013

Try Co-op vs AI games or create a custom game strictly with you and bots. Also, buy Katarina! Now! She's on sale! She is definitely one of the easier champions in the League, and she usually occupies the mid lane. As far as improving general performance in the league, I ALWAYS read at least 1 guide on a champion (from either MOBAfire or Solomid) prior to even taking them into bot games. Also, I cannot over emphasize the amount of help Ciderhelm's "Don't Feed" youtube videos provided me. He does an incredible job, and players of all skill levels ought to watch his videos. I wish you the best of luck, and please contact me in game if you have any questions!

WeedleTwineedle

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAdLeY3x View Post
Okay, you're Taric. You're a support for the adc, this is simple.
Early Game, if the enemy is near you (ADC, always), and they're about to last hit, use your E to stun them, or initiate for your adc to help you kill him (make sure your adc takes the kill, if he can't, just kill them for the assist gold). That'll ensure you'll have a better chance, I personally really hate laning with Taric because of his E, so I play passive and take as much cs as I can (which is little).

Mid game, you should start to get a little tankier, and build lots of items - Sightstone, Bulwark etc (I'm not a support player, but I know what to do xD). Whenever you guys engage a fight, whoever tries to focus your adc (a bruiser most likely, like Xin or Nocturne), stun them and help your adc kill him.

Same applies for late game.

The reason why they may be focusing you is because you're probably too close to the actual teamfight, of where your tanks are, you should be with your adc at ALL times (if your adc dies, then bruiser or whoever deals the most damage), you're a support, all you could do is stun, and heal, that's great, but your stun really could change a teamfight, just by stunning their bruiser / adc, they lose massive amounts of damage they could've gotten, and they lost the potential of winning the game.

Flash + Exhaust on Taric is recommended, because you simply can Exhaust the ADC (70% attack speed and 30% attack damage and 75% movement speed reduced if I'm correct), so for a meanwhile, their adc can't do anything.

Usually, they should have - 1 Support, 1 ADC, 1 Mage, 1 Bruiser and 1 Jungle (Tank). The tank and bruiser should be initiating, however bruisers should be aiming for your adc, if you stun the bruiser with your E and exhaust their adc, they can't do much unless they have Cleanse or QSS, this is where the beneficial part comes in.

Exhausting their adc and stunning their bruiser makes them lose tons of damage, also, it gives your team a chance to destroy their tanks, bruisers and maybe their apc. If you do, look, their adc is vulnerable, so all you do is chase and chase, then you can maybe take out a few inhibs and do Baron for their lost, and you've turned a game around!

Even though I'm not a very good player, I do know what's more important to do, usually when I'm adc, I destroy their bruiser that focuses me, and then I head straight onto their adc, which usually means a win for me (unless they have ridiculous amounts of CC, then I'm ****ed).

But I hope I've solved your problem.
Thanks you gave me some nice advice I'll keep in mind!

Cynical Rain

01-22-2013

This might sound unhelpful, but its the best help out of any of the previous posts.

Spectate an Ahri player in the featured games, compare the game-play to your own, and the answers will become clear.

Also, if you're outclassed by your opponent (as you claim you always are), just farm and don't give kills (never try to get kills if you know they're "better" than you).

M4nTiCoR3

01-22-2013

Having just introduced a few new players to this game, one of the biggest problems all new players face is shifting their idea of what this game is. This game is a Marathon, not a sprint.

Too many players want to jump in and fight the enemy right away. Farming is boring, wtf are these minion guys even for? Pretty soon they are overextended and dead. You are now behind in lvl behind in gold, behind in items, and what do you do? You try it again...each time giving up a few steps in a race that stretches a long long way. It all adds up.

New players need to change their mentality. Smart players will only seriously engage when they have an advantage. They also disengage when they are outpaced. Enemies outnumber you,out level you, out item you? Hug that tower and help clear jungle creeps till you catch up. Four enemies at your tower, with no one but you to defend? Let them have it. Fall back to the next one and defend it WITH your team. Don't dive the 4 and die, giving them tower and kill/assist gold, and allowing them to pressure the next one because your team is now up to defend, but one man short.

Change your way of thinking. This isn't Tekken or super smash bros. Its a war, a long Marathon of a war. Here is a fact...if you survive long enough, all champions cap at 18, and all champions cap in gold/items. At that point it comes down to executing a good team fight. Focusing the right threats first, and comobing the right ults. Your k/d doesn't mean **** if your at 60 min with inhibitors up. All that matters is which team trips at the finish line. Good luck...

Stay Rock Solid,
-gap81

Nowiser

01-22-2013

I often play with players who are new or have much less experience than I do. I play with my dad quite a bit, he has over 1000 wins (he is 49) but through his first 1000 games he sucked,a nd it was hard playing with him. I taught him the one simple rule that improved his game play the most, and made games with him more enjoyable. It is what I tell all my friends when they start the game.

Don't die.

It is as simple as that, if you watched the Pro's or featured streamers play (when the next tourney roles around spend the evening watching them play, instead of logging in on your own) and you notice a few things. The first is how proactive farming is, learn to make farming competitive, grab a sheet of paper and every 5 minutes in a game (up till 25 minutes or so) jot down your minion count. For top, mid and ADC it is not uncommon to hit 200 minions by 20 minutes or so. But every game try and do better at farming (makes that phase of the game a lot more fun)

The second thing you see in ranked games is they hardly trade deaths, they engage in a team fight and will kill 1 or 2 champs and instead of pushing it hard to maybe drop another and lose 1-2 in the process they retreat and head to the lanes to push their advantage there (or grab dragon, baron, or steal buffs from enemy jungle).

Learn to not die. It is so simple, the more deaths you have = more time out of lane, more time out of lane = less gold AND less experience, less gold and less experience = no items and underleveled. When you have no items and are underleveled you become an extremely easy kill, which makes that game less enjoyable for you.

Learn to be calm in team fights and during ganks, if you freak out and button mash you may flash before the opponents stun you, or before they use their gap closer. Half of staying alive is learning what opposing champs are going to try and do to kill you.

Take a break from playing with your level 30 friends until you are 30 with a full rune page. My suggestion is make a book of runes that has flat armor for seals, MR for blues, something like damage for reds and HP quints, I know these are not SPECIFICALLY the best runes for slots or combinations, but it allows you to start with 12 armor 13 MR some AD and +78 health. Those are huge bonuses at early levels to help you stay alive. Pick some of the tankier champions to play with. Malphite may be a great champ to learn top for a few reasons, good natural tankiness vs. AD champs (darius, riven, garen, Olaf), has great escapes (use his q i think, the one that slows the enemy and gives you speed) to run away, and his ult is often used as an easy escape. Paired with flash (and maybe heal) you shouldnt get ganked.

Honestly, its about learning to survive and learning the champions. THe more you survive the more you enjoy the game and a specific champ, the more you can change your runes, masteries (maybe go a bit defensive there as well) and items to be more of a killer.

For your teams sake (so they don't yell at you for feeding!!) and for your enjoyment, stay alive!!

Even if you find your team losing games because you are being cautious and not dying (hey, atleast its not your lane opponent who is fed) you will enjoy the game more, you said you lose 75% of your games, so who cares if you lose if you are having fun and learning!

Some other good champions to try and have a stable of, mostly because they can play multiple roles, especially at low levels. If you learn a few of these (take a few practice games to learn the jungle, check out mobafire for some jungle guides of jungling all together not necessarily for specific champs)

Olaf - Can top and Jungle
Malph- Can top and jungle
Warwick - Can Jungle and Top
Darius - Can jungle and top
Riven - Jungle and Top
Volibear - Can jungle and top
Dr. Mundo - Jungle and top
Hecarim - Jungle and top
Udyr - Jungle and Top
Wukong - Jungle and Top
Yorick - jungle and top

Look these guys up, I left some out on purpose, some of these have a little more complicated skill kits than others, and before I get flamed, they are not all top tier champions at both jungle and top, they can be effective at your skill range, and they all can function with that defensive masteries as well as the defensive rune page. Try some of them out (maybe a friend with alot of champs can let you use his account in some co-op AI games to try and few before you buy, I let friends do that all the time) and just practice. But having a few of these as go toos as well as knowing both roles for them allows you to be a bit more flexible at champ select. So you don't have to be one of the guys we all get annoyed with who says "top or I feed because I suck at everything else"

Anyways, hope you get back to enjoying the game, dont be afraid to open a smurf account at low levels again and just try free champs to play against lower skilled people again!

Like I said, Have fun and Don't die

Nowiser

01-22-2013

Also,

Read this more than 1 time. It is very good and helpful!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2895902

Feel free to add me in game, I'd love to play through a game or two with you and help you out