Would like tips on Sona, Taric, and Nunu as Support.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seoul of Soraka

01-21-2013

I main Support but I think I haven't learned these 3 champs full potential
any tips on these 3 champs and just support tips in general.

Unaccepting

01-21-2013

I play Support Taric fairly often, but I tend to build him more "Bruiserish." Play him the same as a support, wards, no minion kills, etc. But item build is Warmog's, Athene's, Boots of Swiftness, Atma's, Spirit Visage, and Rabbadon's. Admittedly, this is a weird build, and may be a playstyle-specific one, but it works well for me, and allows you to survive and contribute to teamfights in a more meaningful way than "Pop ult and run in circles hoping not to die." Takes advantage of his passive, his armor buff on his w, and beefs up his q pretty thoroughly, without sacrificing your contribution to the AD carry in your lane. Works REALLY well if you end up as a top-lane support for an ADC, because of a lane switch or double-pick or what have you, since most top-laners can't handle a bruisery support hogging all of their best damage instead of the intended target.

Zswords

01-22-2013

Sona has quite the catch on how she's played as a support, and it really comes down to playstyle, and who your partner is.

Sona is very squishy, buy she has the scaling on her Q like she was a proper mage, this makes her great for bullying and punishing enemy champions for getting within range, and peeling them down for your Carry to either finish, or they're forced to B giving you free farm. Hang out in bot or river bush, and step out only long enough to get in range of your Q, and back off. (Auto Attack if Powerchord is up, it deals ridiculous damage.) One or two of these early on will force them to waste consumables of some form, and done cautiously enough, you won't get counter harrassed.

Her W though, has a really low CD, and the heal and armor for it is quite nice, So you really have to make that corporate decision based on who your partner is, and what your laning against.

Vs like, a Sora and Cait, or Ez, you really want to get in their and poke hard, they can't really punish you for it if you do the bush trick right. (Just, be ready to dodge them skill shots. >.>) Though if your against a more damage oriented lane, like MF and Leona, you'll probably just wanna back off and be your carries personal Health Backpack, so that they can get the CS through the harass, and neither one of you are in range of Leona screwage.

Tear>AA>Seraphs are pretty much a must buy, Sona eats mana really fast when she gets the ball rolling, and Seraph's shield will save your life. Remember to get an early sightstone for the endless wards. 'Secure' a kill for it if you can, it may be bad form for a support, but dammit, Early Sightstone is just too good, and Sona has the damage to pull it off.. but don't make it a habit past the sightstone, your a support, not a carry. (Even if you hurt like a mage one) After the Seraph's, it's kinda your game, you can build AP for better heals and damage, or maybe stack Aura's (Bulwark, Stark's, WoTA) So that you're just an overglorified Super Banner, both work.

... Ult, is pretty obvious, hit as many with it if you can, don't be afraid to catch a lone squishy with it if you have friends, or use it to escape... it's an AoE 2 second stun, do with it, what you will.

Your Passive has 2 good effects: Q for Damage, or E for chasing. The Reduction from W is not worth the time. (20% sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't last long enough to matter unless you catch like, a Ryze about to do his combo, or... MAYBE block a Darius ult with it, or something.)

Get E at level 4, so you have it for the slow, and building up Tear and powerchords when roaming around, but it should be your last max. Make the chose between maxing Q or W first based on the situations above, and max the one you didn't pick second.

This isn't a perfect guide, or a fully thought out one, but it should cover msot everything common, and matters here are free for debate, but I find this is a solid enough summary for helping you get things done.

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Nunu and Taric are both melee with a simple supporting mechanism (heal/buff) and a strong harass ability (stun combo + ad/iceball) but can burn through mana. They both have passive that help alleviate mana issues by autoattacking, so they work best if they can get into a bully position - ward tri/dragon and push up to enemy turret with a lane advantage so they can't fight back. This allows you to autoattack minions for the mana without stealing cs. Taric is a bit more offensive and can set up kills/combos easier, while nunu is less hurt by just staying back and using the move buff. With their ults, Taric gains even more burst to his combo, while Nunu gains a massive nuke that can easily win any lane fight if not avoided.

Sona is different in that she's a high damager poker, but not as good of a setup. Rather than allowing the AD to win trades, she tends to win trades just by outdamaging everyone (including the AD). Whereas Taric/Nunu (like most melee) win lane fights by positioning to properly CC the enemy and block them while your AD kills them, Sona wins fights by positioning so that she doesn't get killed herself while dealing damage. A lane with her is similar to playing 2 ads, in that they die if they're caught but can otherwise put up a good fight and dish it out. Sona lanes will usually win a fight at level 1 versus anyone, even kill lanes because they don't yet have their combo for damage, while Sona only needs Q. However, by level 2 or 3 Sona has to be very careful she doesn't get instagibbed (which is very possible with most kill lanes).

TheGrayBuffoon

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaccepting View Post
I play Support Taric fairly often, but I tend to build him more "Bruiserish." Play him the same as a support, wards, no minion kills, etc. But item build is Warmog's, Athene's, Boots of Swiftness, Atma's, Spirit Visage, and Rabbadon's. Admittedly, this is a weird build, and may be a playstyle-specific one, but it works well for me, and allows you to survive and contribute to teamfights in a more meaningful way than "Pop ult and run in circles hoping not to die." Takes advantage of his passive, his armor buff on his w, and beefs up his q pretty thoroughly, without sacrificing your contribution to the AD carry in your lane. Works REALLY well if you end up as a top-lane support for an ADC, because of a lane switch or double-pick or what have you, since most top-laners can't handle a bruisery support hogging all of their best damage instead of the intended target.
Interesting and I like it but I have a question: How in the world do you get enough gold to buy those items on Taric as support?

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

You don't. That's like 20k total gold when you consider consumable costs, and it has no gp10 build paths.

TheGrayBuffoon

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zliplus View Post
You don't. That's like 20k total gold when you consider consumable costs, and it has no gp10 build paths.
That is what I was thinking because even with gp items plus assists getting 20k is more than a bit much.