Support Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dark Nephthys

01-21-2013

So I'm playing with a group of people and I main support in the game, so I've basically been playing support like crazy for the past week or so. I decided to buy multiple support champions so I have a lot of choices to go well with the team and I almost have them all.

What I'd like to know is, Who would you consider a viable support? I know that question might not be easy to answer because some times it solely depends on the lane partner but just say it's any usual adc (Vayne, Draven, Ashe etc) and what support do you personally like (as in support you use or you like to have on your team?)

I've heard that really most champions can played as supports and I know there's not a "Best" support but what support would you prefer on your team? I'm just trying to figure out what supports I might of missed, or maybe some one can explain to me on some of the supports I might of underestimated and ignored etc.

These are the Current Support Champions I have:
Alistar
Anivia (I tried her as a support, went interesting)
Blitzcrank
Galio
Janna
Lulu
Nami
Nunu
Shen
Sona
Soraka
Taric
Zilean

And these are the Supports that I don't have and I'm after:
Kayle
Morgona

Thanks to anyone who answers my questions.

Cynical Rain

01-22-2013

My top 3:

1. Blitzcrank - works with EVERY carry, is awesome. Initiates like a boss.
2. Nunu - works with most carries, nice slow, nice buff, contributes in *dedicated* team-fights (Ult), doesn't need health pots. = awesome.
3. Soraka - works with laid-back carries who want to farm. Infinite sustain, nice silence, global heal = awesome.

In terms of the 3 Carry's you mentioned, I'd use the following for each.

Vayne-Soraka
Draven-Nunu/Blitzcrank

Ashe...I dislike.

NanaMadHouse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

i saw a lot of new post/images/threads/reddit stuff about how to pair a support with the adc meanwhile you counter the other couple. as you say the answer you're looking for is hard to put in simple words since LoL is a RTS (real time strategy). so i make my choice according to my team comp instead of trying to counter only my lane. but without leave my early game open to my enemies.
so.. first of all you have to think on this:
- cc (crown control)
you can think on any champ that give you cc, from hard one like leona, zyra, malph, nunu, etc.. to soft one like lulu, taric, zylean, morgana and so
- tank
this fit with leona, taric, nunu, alistar, malph, rammus, etc.
- sustain
this one fit with, taric, sona, soraka, nami, kayle

on the other side you can even mix some stuff.. tank and sustain go for taric (and some cc). sustain and cc go again taric, sona, nami... tank and cc, leona, morgana, nunu etc.
you are good with poke/zone, nidale, zilean, zyra, lulu
your adc is mana drinker and need sustain, soraka, sona/taric with mana manipulator

so, again.. is hard to say.
so again.. think in mid-late game, think in your team comp and what their need. dont forget your build should go on according how good bot and your team are doing (i.e. dont rush shurelya as first item if you are behind and go for aegis) etc.
another tip, one of the roles as support is you can deny a champ, so you should be able to play almost any champ as support, but remember that AP champs are better, since their skills scale better even if you have no AP on your build.

on the other hand dont forget to buy other roles champ, so you can trade... i.e. your team first pick want to play mid, but dont want to be hard-countered at the time you are last pick, so if you have some mid champs you can easily trade.

hope i help you.

see you in summoner's rift

Cynical Rain

01-22-2013

NanaMadHouse didn't even mention Blitz...

...NanaMadHouse isn't a viable support advice giver...

...since Blitz is the best.

646ttm

01-22-2013

Like you said it depends on the champion they are laning with but my top 3 are probably
1- Sona
2- blitz
3- nunu

Hiryuu16

01-22-2013

Blitz is usually banned in draft and ranked games, so I usually go with Alistar or Leona for aggressive lanes. Soraka works well for mana hungry harass, such as Cait, Ashe, and Miss Fortune.

Lux is situational, but she counters melee support like Volibear quite well.

Dark Nephthys

01-22-2013

Thanks everyone for the help. The supports I usually play are Sona, Galio, Lulu or Janna. But I'm really wanting a more stronger support that help lane partner early game and still be really strong and helpful late game in team fights. I tried an interesting combo with a team mate of mine, we did Ashe adc and Anivia Support...Kept the enemy alway slow and was able to get my Q in for increased damage and it went surprisingly well but not sure on how she can play up with the other adc's since she's not really a support.

I do like nunu a bit because of that heal he get's and the slow is very good, maybe I'll play nunu for a bit as well. I added my current support champs down so let me know if I'm missing a good support champion.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-22-2013

Nunu is especially helpful for his attack speed buff, not so much for the healing or the slow or the ult. The snowball is nice but Bloodboil is where it's at. The main reason to play him is to boost the damage output of a hypercarry like Vayne or Kog'Maw. I played Nunu as support for a while without realizing this. Max Bloodboil first! The sooner you can give your adc a 65% haste, the better.

Taric is also a very good support to keep practicing with. His stun and armor reduction let him set up easy kills in lane and his auras are a major benefit in teamfights.

RealMouse

01-22-2013

Kayle is a current favorite of many atm as well, she has a mild heal+speed boost and a shot of invulnerability, can be real good for playing with a clumsy (new) adc, the speed+hp can help them get out of bad spots as can her R, she also has a nice ranged aoe attack for helping with team fights. to be honest though, depending on your lane partners skill, almost any champ can support for them if you both have enough skill. but i have to agree that Blitzcrank has to be one of the best all around supports..just dont stand on your adc when you grab, or you can kill your adc fast.

TheLoNeLiGhT

01-22-2013

As others said, Blitzcrank is very good, although he is very often banned in drafts, so I wouldn't really rely on him too much. Galio, Shen, Zilean, Morgana, Lux, and Kayle are usually played elsewhere, although that's not saying you still couldn't do it, I just don't know how efficient they would be as a support.