PvP.net vs LolKing It is Time For Riot's Legal Team to Take a Stand

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

The things that Lolking has done and the information it has provided has with no doubt improved the overall awareness of the less casual players in champion statistics, item statistics, and now guides, However it has also done something else. Invaded the privacy of every single summoner on all live servers but public beta environment.

PVP.net has the capacity to allow any summoner to look up the stats pages of any other summoner with several large limitations. The other summoner can only see the top elo of their potential opponents or allies, the match history does not display elo gains and losses over the past week, and the PVP.net system does not allow a summoner to look up anyone while the summoner is engaged in champion select or in a match itself.

Lolking is NOT limited by this, and I feel is a direct violation to the spirit of the game, fairness between competitors, and of Riot's intellectual property. People that abuse Lolking consistently have a great advantage should they use the knowledge to gain information on their allies and enemies alike. It has been proven in General discussion, that Lolking has caused negative chat in pre game lobby that continues to negatively effect the match when utilized by the more arrogant players. Many of the less casual players know of Lolking and have used Lolking in the past or are doing so now for this purpose. I'm pretty sure that the hard core players all use lolking for every advantage they can get. But this is not fair to the people that don't know about it, because it isn't directly sanctioned by Riot publicly in an announcement.

the way I see it, for the good of the community and the game, Riot has Three obvious choices though I'm sure there are more subtle ones I have not considered.

1. Riot can simply do nothing and allow the situation to either work itself out, or deteriorate the community and the tribunal even further. Riot should DEFNTELY not do this. Too much risk involved with little chance of positive outcome overall.

2. Riot can announce that sites like Lolking can and should be encouraged to be used to add another layer of competetiveness to the league, a mini game if you will to help people aspiring to gain elo or league points to do so more easily as they are working harder to gain whatever advantage they can get over their ignorant less caring peers.

3. This is the option I favor Riot should change the terms of service to disallow third parties from datamining summoner data or put severe limitations on what they are allowed to show on their websites of the summoner's player data. This will allow websites like Lolking, that does not exist only to datamine player data, to keep existing and providing their other useful services without infringing on the relative privacy of the summoner. It should decrease and terminate all lolking related smack talk pre game and during game play itself as well as allow the more ignorant players to pick what they and play whom they want without being heckled as much. It will equalize the playing field and decrease the advantages that sly summoners can gain by getting access to data they probably shouldn't.

Please consider my words carefully, even though it is just one opinion. I'm sure there are many people that would disagree with me, but many more that would agree with me, whether they use the forums, or are purely casual players that are disgruntled by their less casual counterparts.

Thank you,

Arizel.

Troa

01-28-2013

The only argument I saw you follow up on is that toxic communication can be introduced into the lobby when someone looks at lolking in the lobby. I have seen this literally once, and only when people were already smack talking each other and already having a very toxic interaction prior to either player using lolking to see if they were actually in as much trouble that game as they thought they were. In short, I do not think it actually contributes negatively.

As for an advantage, I am not convinced by any means that using lolking gives any sort of advantage. I also simply do not see how it could give an advantage. If you have a specific reason that it does, please do share, but I cannot think of one, and you did not introduce one in your post.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

I have given several specific examples that it does.

If we are only allowed to use PVP.net, we cannot look at each other's histories, champion mains, runes and masteries setups DURING champion select.

People that are aware of Lolking or other websites like it, can look at everyone stats at their leisure in a less cumbersome interface.

Lets say you are going top lane as oh letes say Brolaf vs a Nidalee. You know that Nidalee can go either AP or Bruiser, lets say you decide to go a balanced rune page with defensive masteries, bu tyou are not sure how you should itemize at level 1. You could go boots for more mobility, i tmay help you harass a little, or you may get a cloth armor and 5 pots to sustain against harass among several other options. During the loading page though, you can simply go to lolking, look up that summoner then look at the player's currently active rune page and mastery page.

This can directly influence early game play and itemization.

As for pre game lobby chat, well, its all really up to how much you play, when you play, and more specifically what mode you play in. I almost exclusively play ranked solo queau, when there are 2 or 3 people competing for the same role in a heated argument, more often than not, one of them tries to tell them to look up their lolking stats. Sometimes the others use their own pages as e-p33n to shove at each other, it is all quite silly and doesn't help the team at all

Toph Sinex

01-31-2013

The thing about this is, its not an invasion of privacy or breaking any specific Terms of Service. I don't see any specific points where lolking.net can see certain things I cannot in the game client. And if you are referring to elo... That is not private.

SilverGalford

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiivolution View Post
The thing about this is, its not an invasion of privacy or breaking any specific Terms of Service. I don't see any specific points where lolking.net can see certain things I cannot in the game client. And if you are referring to elo... That is not private.
LoLKing helps you to see if there are noobs on your team , that helps me a lot.

TasogareReiken

01-31-2013

It is most certainly unsportsmanlike conduct but there is nothing LoL can do. LoL puts those stats available to begin with. It was only a matter of time before a website like this developed to this point. And before LoLking was there, there were probably people running self-built programs compiling the same information and looking it up in the lobby.

Troa

01-31-2013

I honestly just don't see the major issue with it, even with the explanation. Knowing runes and masteries only helps the first buy, sure, but that doesn't win a game for you. And if you really want to, you can have a buddy look up stats for you in the league client anyway, so it's not like it stops what you're worried about.