Why AD bruiser top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

shybug1

01-21-2013

So I guess I don't understand why the meta insists on a AD or sometimes AP "bruiser" top? Why not another ADC ranged unit like Cait or Tristana or any other ADC ranged with an escape mechanism? As long as u have a tanky support and an off tank jungle, I think you would be money ahead to have a ranged ADC go top. I am not saying I am right I just want an intelligent explanation as to why I am not right.

KamiKaraX

01-21-2013

Stanley playing Caitlyn top just a few days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRxZZ5FJ4Q
It's just not going with the meta, if you think you can do well with an adc, then give it a try

FrazzledMelon

01-21-2013

All depends on what you consider the meta. In tournament play, pro teams routinely swap top and bot during initial laning phase, which provides a whole slew of interesting, asymmetrical match-ups.

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shybug1 View Post
So I guess I don't understand why the meta insists on a AD or sometimes AP "bruiser" top? Why not another ADC ranged unit like Cait or Tristana or any other ADC ranged with an escape mechanism? As long as u have a tanky support and an off tank jungle, I think you would be money ahead to have a ranged ADC go top. I am not saying I am right I just want an intelligent explanation as to why I am not right.
Because top lane is a long lane. You want a tanky hero to be able to survive a towerdive if it happens. An ADC can't do that.

Against a standard, run of the mill League team - go ahead and run an ADC. But a coordinated, strong team is going to dive that ADC all day and make them cry.

shybug1

01-21-2013

^Now thats a good explanation. Thank u. Isolation is the problem.... If they tower dive and ur jungler isn't around to help u out ur toast. That makes sense.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-21-2013

For what it's worth, there are non-bruisers that make regular top lane appearances. Akali and Kha'zix are two that come most immediately to mind. I think people play Fiora top too... if people still play Fiora.

So sometimes you get more of an assassin champ in top lane, and this can work fine. But the problem is that this can leave your team too squishy and without initiation if you're not getting tanky champs out of your support and jungle.

But even if you have tanky champs, it's still great to have a bruiser like Olaf or Jax that can just get in and chase down the enemy carries and eliminate those guys. Tanks have the durability to chase these champs down, but typically aren't carrying the damage to take them out, so it's good to have bruiser.

And other than top lane, there's not really a good place to put your bruiser (a lot of them can jungle though).

So, on top of the reasons AD Bottom gave for why non-bruisers are risks in top lane, it's also just kind of the most natural fit for where to place your bruiser.

PrfsrChaos

01-21-2013

Vladamir, Kennen, Elise, Kayle, Kha'Zix, Teemo

Those aren't really bruisers (you can make an argument on Elise and Kayle but it really depends on how they build)

You do see Bruisers in other lanes as well. The one that comes to mind the most for me is Gragas or Galio in mid. Though they're mages, they're very tanky and bully like.

Also there are plenty of times where I've seen kill lanes bottom with double bruisers and there never really be an adc, instead more of the pseduo-kinda-notquite adcs like a Jayce or a Kayle.

There are plenty of ways to mix things up (probably get really good before you try them in ranked though). I personally find Mid Jayce incredibly fun and he really can operate as a similar sort of mage counterpick role like a Kat or an Akali would be mid lane, but Jayce is just ad instead.

Qdwczseax

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shybug1 View Post
i dont really know but just try it yourself for some reason its easier for bruisers to go top, getting more easier kills and just somehow seem more pro. when you go mid because of the length it gives the ranged units more advantage so whenever you go close to them the turrets will attack you and the opposite when they some up to you the turrets wont attack them because of the minions and the range.

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfsrChaos View Post
Vladamir, Kennen, Elise, Kayle, Kha'Zix, Teemo

Those aren't really bruisers (you can make an argument on Elise and Kayle but it really depends on how they build)

You do see Bruisers in other lanes as well. The one that comes to mind the most for me is Gragas or Galio in mid. Though they're mages, they're very tanky and bully like.

Also there are plenty of times where I've seen kill lanes bottom with double bruisers and there never really be an adc, instead more of the pseduo-kinda-notquite adcs like a Jayce or a Kayle.

There are plenty of ways to mix things up (probably get really good before you try them in ranked though). I personally find Mid Jayce incredibly fun and he really can operate as a similar sort of mage counterpick role like a Kat or an Akali would be mid lane, but Jayce is just ad instead.
Vlad has a pool, Kennen has his E, Elise has her E + natural tankiness from spider form, Kayle has her ult + heal, Kha'zix has a massive leap and decent regen, and Teemo has shrooms for map coverage and speed from his W. They all bring something to the table that gives them a good lane.

Caitlyn is the only ADC that comes to mind that would work really well, because of her W and her E, plus her range. Ezreal and Vayne MAYBE, but iffy.

Soulkatti

01-21-2013

An AD carry would be annoying in top lane early on, but at a certain point they're just going to get rolled by the bigger tankier bruiser. How is a squishy ADC going to 1v1 an Irelia, Jax, or an Olaf? Bruisers are generally built for diving and training down AP and AD carries, while AD carries generally need a team to protect them. That being said, I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it's risky especially due to the inherent dangers and size of top lane. Also, on a side note, the reason you see AD carries bot lane and AP carries mid lane is due to the way in which they scale. AP carries scale better with levels because of the base damage increase on their skills, while AD carries are based around auto attacking, scale better with items, and don't necessarily need levels as bad as your typical mid laner would. Consequently, the AD carries are thrown bottom lane where they can get all the gold they need and where it is relatively safe to farm along side your support.