Should a tank die for a team mate ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geleh

01-21-2013

Hi mates !

I've been playing Leona and loved her, it's my first time as a tank, and I have a question:

If i find myself in a situation where I'm fleeing from the ennemy with a team mate and I'll be able to escape but not him, and I know that if I sacrifice myself to protect him it will not be in vain (I live or he lives), should I sacrifice myself ?

To sum it all up, is a life of any other player than tank worth more than the tank to defend the base while everyone revives ?

Rylar D

01-21-2013

It really depends on whether or not that person will be able to do more than you in the time it takes you to revive. In the situation you described I would say that anyone who can clear a wave fast is probably worth saving, at least.

Madraac

01-21-2013

If you are talking in solo que scenario's, you should let yourself be killed and see how the team responds. If you turn around to re-engage, and suddenly your ADC turns and gets greedy thinking that you know something that he does not, well then shame on your ADC. If this scenario happens, discuss it in team chat, as sometimes players do not know why they did something, or had a mental breakdown. If the same scenario occurrs again, now you have every right to run back, save yourself in the future, and let the moron die.

We all have bad games, make stupid mistakes, and have to be reminded of it now and again, just do it politely, and see where it gets you. More often than note, a player will own up to the mistake and not continue to do it in the future.

Zswords

01-21-2013

Default answer: Yes, if you die, that means that's damage on you, and not the ADC. In escape situations, 90% of the time, still yes, because ADCs can push back. But the most important thing you need to consider is: Are they on a spree? If you're worth less gold than him, then jump in their, you don't want the enemy team getting any more gold than you can prevent.

Geleh

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zswords View Post
Default answer: Yes, if you die, that means that's damage on you, and not the ADC. In escape situations, 90% of the time, still yes, because ADCs can push back. But the most important thing you need to consider is: Are they on a spree? If you're worth less gold than him, then jump in their, you don't want the enemy team getting any more gold than you can prevent.
true, forgot about the gold thing. Im guessing it also depends on what tank youre playing. Leona is useless alone but some tanks can do some ranged attack. thank you.

M3GaL0d0n

01-21-2013

While its okay to die as a tank first in a fight, "Sacrificing" yourself is just a bad mentality. You should do everything you can to protect both your carry but also the objective. Whether it be a turret, Dragon, Baron, or inhibitor. You should never play as if your death will accomplish anything. Rather you should do whatever you can to protect yourself as well as objectives and allies, but never allow yourself to be killed if you can help it. An example of this is baiting or ambushing, always play like you will make it through the engagement. Don't feel bad if you dove into the enemy team as Alistar for one last Pulverize on three enemy players and died for it, but your team was able to finish them off and take a key objective. But always try and wait to see if you can live and not give an enemy 500 gold for a kill and two assists. Make your decisions based on whether or not you're contributing to your team taking an objective, rather than whether or not your death will be "Worth it."

powwder

01-21-2013

in solo q, no. 90% of the time the adc will try to reengage and you both will die making it pointless. by jumping in you "might" be able to save him, by running you "will live".

saying a adc can hold against 2-3 people is wrong, they build glass cannon so the enemy tank/bruisr will just tank tower and kill him anyways.

that being said a adc is more valuable so lets say you both are low hp, and cait uses her ult, then yes as a tank you should block the shot and die to save the adc.

but in escape situations, if someone turns back, a lot of times people re engage or more people get caught, its just not worth it.

TheFriendlyUncle

01-21-2013

that question is extremely situational, BUT given the role leona plays "support tank". I would say 95% of the time i will gladly give my life away for my jungle/topt/ap/ad.