Volibear HP Tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yoda the Great

01-21-2013

So, i posted this in an old General Discussion Thread that i didn't realize was there... probably should have been here in the first place:

Now I’ve just started getting used to Volibear after myself and my whole team got owned by a Jungle Volibear in a game. I have only played Co-op vs AI Intermediate difficulty to this point so I know I won’t really know how good he is or how good I am with him until I play him against people.

That being said, I’ve had success in the Jungle with him just by building HP tank with some armor and MR runes. The Jungle item (can’t remember name) that gives the tenacity-ish effect, Frozen Heart, Warmogs… then I kinda go from there into what I need. His passive and W scale off of HP which makes him really tough to kill without armor or MR. Leaves him pretty vulnerable to ignite and % hp dmg abilities like Eve’s ult and the DFG… but seems like it would be strong against people as well as the bots I’ve been playing. Also the slow from his E, combined with his q’s speed boost and toss… combined with Frozen Mallet Slow seems pretty OP.

I don’t see many people on the forums advocating the HP tank Volibear… is this a bad way to build? Why?

Any thoughts on how to tweak my normal build?

I love Volibear and own against the bots... but who doesn't... and I just don't feel that I'll transfer to be up against people very well yet.

DarkenDragon

01-21-2013

the problem is you have no damage, your just a big bear with no claws. unless your last 2 items are some kind of offensive items.

but if you wait until then to get them, you'll have a hard time getting creep score, which means it'll take you forever to get any items as well making you behind everyone else.

without the offensive items, all you bring to the table is your hardiness, your toss, and your slow. your damage output is gonna be weak, and you'll have to pretty much rely on someone else to do the heavy damage to bring a person down low enough for you to bite them to death.

so really your just support, but once you used your toss and roar, your done your job and have nothing really new to bring to the table, the enemy is gonna ignore you and go after the rest of your teammates and leave you for last cuz alone with only tank items, your not much of a threat.

so what you can do is either go on hit ATKSpeed/CDR item path where your gonna be relying on your ultimate for your damage, turn it on and your attack speed will dishout the damage for you and you'll have your toss to keep your enemy within the group and your roar to keep them stuck to you.

or you can go the AD bruiser path which means your focusing on a Atma's impaler path to convert all that health you have into additional damage to bring down your opponents for a bite and killing blow

Madraac

01-21-2013

Volibear can be great, but he is a slow build, and the jungle is / has been a slow start with the S3 changes. However, if you can get a few kills, he snowballs extremely well into the late game, but he is not really too much of a true tank, more of a bruiser.

Your overall build is a very good start, but I would suggest a few changes as he is one of the champs I love to play. Warmog's is one of the first items to build besides boots. The machete and its later game items sort of sucks, but needed to get going, however , I may suggest you look at NEVER leveling it past your first buy and eventually selling itonce mid game roles around.

After Warmog's, you next item should be your level 2 boots. If the enemy team has no real stuns / cc, then look to go with Ninja Tabi i Tenacity is not needed. After those two items are built, you want to look at situational items and needs. I am not a fan of Frozen Heart on Voli, as his mana use is not too intensive one mid game rolls around, and his CDR is manageable with only 15 - 20% cdr. I am a huge fan of Randuins on Voli, as it gives you health and armor, plus the speed buff / debuff. For your next itemafter Randuins, you will want to begin going with some damage based items. This is where Frozen Mallet shines for Voli. 700 health, slow, and AD... perfect fit for him. After you complete Warmog's, Boots, Randuins, and Frozen Mallet, you need to look at more situational items. Always remember health = damage for you, so items that combine health and damage or AS are often a priority. As you will be initiating many teamfights, Zeke's is a great item for the aura buff, lifesteal, and AS. You should also look to Wit's End for the MR, debuff, and AS, plus the added damage that can add up quickly with stacks of W and your higher AS. Final items is more based on need.... if the enemy AP casters are taking you out, Maw of Malmortis crushes them, and provides a shield, or if you need damage, look to Atma's impaler as it is a great alternate item due to its damage potential.

HP Voli is the way to go, but you have to balance your damage and armor/MR to be truly effective. However, you seem to inately understand that in how you were building. Just remember, Voli is fairly week until he gets his Warmog's and his boots... once you complete those, you have damage potential from your W, and the health to sustain a fight and survive. At the end, there is a counter to every champ, but you need to learn to minimize how hard the counter is, and jungling does that from a stand point that you are diving into fights on your own terms.

One thing with Voli, make sure that you create a rune and mastery page dedicated to him as it will help tremendously. His W scales off bonus health, so you will want at least 9 points in the defensive tree for the free 30 health. Runes should be yellow health, I prefer red AS to get my W charged for a bite faster, blue is MR/lvl, and Quints should be either flat health or health/lvl. Last part, remember to take heal on Voli. His passive is great, but if you have two or 3 champs hitting you, cast heal just as your passive procs so you can survive long enough to get the full heal, and eat an enemy or two along the way. Played right, Voli has the ability to easily take on 2 - 3 champs by himself, so in a teamfight, you can run around chewing on people.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-21-2013

Okay... I was in the middle of typing out a pretty detailed overview of good items for Volibear... then I accidentically managed to Ctrl+R refresh the page... so it's gone.

Instead, you get a list of all the items worth building on Volibear without descriptions... and if you have questions about any of them, you can ask. The closer the item is to the top of the list, the better it is for Volibear.

Warmog's Armor
Frozen Mallet
Randuin's Omen
Spirit of the Ancient Golem (if jungling)
Spirit Visage
Atma's Impaler
Black Cleaver
Aegis of the Legion (only bother upgrading to Runic Bulwark if enemy has a lot of magic damage)
Sunfire Cape
Statikk Shiv
Ruby Sightstone
Banshee's Veil
Zeke's Herald
Shurelya's Reverie
Locket of the Iron Solari
Ohmwrecker

Yoda the Great

01-21-2013

i know i've had success with the atmas when building hp tank but i feel like it comes so late... maybe build the avarice early?

What boots? If I'm jungling, i get the tenacity from the Spirit of the Ancient Golem so i've been going with Mobility for the ganks seems logical to me but what does everyone else think?

Yoda the Great

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madraac View Post

Your overall build is a very good start, but I would suggest a few changes as he is one of the champs I love to play. Warmog's is one of the first items to build besides boots. The machete and its later game items sort of sucks, but needed to get going, however , I may suggest you look at NEVER leveling it past your first buy and eventually selling itonce mid game roles around.
So you would suggest not taking the machete to the tank item it builds into? I've been doing that before warmogs because its quicker to build... might have to change that around

Madraac

01-22-2013

The jungle items that machete builds into are rather crappy overall, as part of the core item is the damage to minions/monsters. At level 6, do you ever have to worry about a jungle camp killing you?

Because Voli has an expensive build to get going, I definitely would tell you to stay away from the future builds of Machete. Boots are always situational on how you are playing and your playstyle. I do not like Voli in the jungle as I find him relatively slow and you need speed in the jungle with the gold decreases. However, he has great gank potential... I have found a lot of reasons to love buying boots of mobility as it makes his chase / ganks that much greater as a whole, but Ninja Tabi's are more jungle friendly. If you take my advice though, you will need the tenacity provided by your boots unless the other team has limited to know CC, which can happen.

To your question about Atma's, you are correct and you should be building late as a potential 5th or final item pending on your needs. Honestly, so much of Voli's damage comes from his healing sustain and his W hitting for big damage, you normally do not need as much pure AD on him as some of the other bruisers in the game. Your final item is often what you begin to build to punish whomever is hurting you the most in a teamfight.

Iklo

01-22-2013

Volibear kicks ass against most top laners. I wouldnt suggest jungling with him because of his poor clear times which make him drag behind most champions.

My build usually comes out like this:

Sunfire Cape
Warmogs
Frozen Mallet/Wits End
Spirit Visage
Merc Treds (Alacrity)

Situational Items:

Get Shurelyia's if you're being kited easily.
Get GA if your having trouble ending the game.
Get Bulwark if your team doesnt have one yet.

I never lose as top lane Volibear. I may lose my lane because of a hard counter like Jayce, Nid, or Dar because of their constant harass, but I rarely lose a game with him.