Shaco's Viability

Yes, he's still viable. You just need to be really good with him. 66 47.14%
Yes, he's viable, and not that hard to do well with. Practice more. 30 21.43%
He's a good pubstomper, but no longer viable for competitive games. 29 20.71%
He's been nerfed to the ground and is just overall terribad now. 15 10.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

[Question] A Viable Way to Play Shaco Now?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AGCrew Bloodwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

Mini-Intro

Hello. I'm Bloodwolf. Been playing LoL since closed beta, with over 800 wins (normal, havent done rank so much). I play a bunch of different heroes and roles, and I started using Shaco some months ago.

He's really fun and interesting to play. However, as most of u are aware of, he's been hit by several REALLY BIG nerfs lately, some due to unintended exploitable bugs, and some others due to ridiculously easy advantages on many scenarios (as Zileas explained in August, he's really good at many things and make it really frustrating to play against).

So I stopped using him and started using other heroes instead.

Question
I know he's hard to use, I've used him for a long time, and I don't mind the skill ceiling. I know he's naturally squishy, and with all the nerfs, I know it will take a lot of commitment, more practice and even some luck to do good with him.

So my question is....

............is there a viable way to play Shaco now? Post-nerfs?

(and even more coming probably).

I've tried AD builds (specifically Pendragon's), AP builds (briefly), Hybrid builds, Sunfire builds (I know cape don't stack w clone anymore).... and it's always really hard to accomplish anything unless your enemies are noobs.

I'd like to know specifically:
What advice could you give an enthusiastic shaco player?
What items would you get? On what order?
Should u not lane at all and only jungle (and help/gank when needed ofc)?
What should you aim for early, mid and late game? Farm, gank, backdoor?
When and how should u jump on teamfights with the build you'd recommend?

Please let me know if you have any constructive input....
I dont want to give up on one of my fav LoL heroes... .

AGCrew Bloodwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

Bump for help.

Hugmorn

Recruiter

10-21-2010

In my opion, the best way to play him atm is to jungle. Boxes are really effective at jungling and the ennemy is always scared of getting ganked by deceive with red buff.

Zeakladroda

Recruiter

10-21-2010

Play a jungling Shaco. Any jungler boosts the overall strength of a team, and a jungling Shaco can gank better than any other jungler. If you don't have first, second, third, and fourth blood you're doing something wrong.

AGCrew Bloodwolf

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmorn View Post
In my opion, the best way to play him atm is to jungle. Boxes are really effective at jungling and the ennemy is always scared of getting ganked by deceive with red buff.
Yes I've been thinking about this one for a while. I'm thinking armor/sword + potions, get red (maybe blue 1st), then gank mid or something. This would propel him to the Madred's build, which I've done countless times before. The gank has to be done quickly IMO though (Level 2).

What would u get as 2nd item? Survivability? More dmg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeakladroda View Post
Play a jungling Shaco. Any jungler boosts the overall strength of a team, and a jungling Shaco can gank better than any other jungler. If you don't have first, second, third, and fourth blood you're doing something wrong.
This def helps. Any specifics on where/what/who to gank? Specially if all lanes are unpushed by the enemy and most of them have flash.

Also, I usually pick W 1st to help with the neutrals, then straight level out Q and E for gank and dmg.

Zeakladroda

Recruiter

10-21-2010

5 pots/cloth armor, start with 2 wards at small golems, 3 at lizard, smite the blue banshee->kill golems->kill lizard->kill golem.

Even if the lanes are pushed you can decieve in and force them back. Don't always worry about the kills. As long as you are denying the opposing team gold and experience you are setting your team up for success.

CPTN JAX SPARROW

10-21-2010

Zeakladora has one of the 2 ways to open jungle as the clown (personally my favorite ), other is the classic 5 jitb golem ­into turboFB on mid, although its very hard to pull off anymore since decieve got nerfed to oblivion

Shaco is still "playable", as like any other carry he can do well if he manage to get farmed up / fed. but his golden days are over. i have given up on serious clowning (but i believe it still is possible to do well), and have resigned to playing him as AP, because this game isnt competitive anyway, so why not have a ton of fun with my blitzcrank buddy towing the ennemy team into my JITB nests?

If you are like me and enjoy making people angry, but really dont care about winning (ofc, my build doesnt really care about winning, if i can FRAPS a miss fortune getting eaten by 2-3 stray jacks left behind, it just so funny it makes my day every time), you can consider my build and play:
Ignite and Flash
max out w first, get 1 rank in q at level 2, and max e second, while grabbing ulti.
start with doran ring, then get sheen, sorc shoes, lich bane, zhonyas and then void staff.
Start at golem, eat him up with jacks, then proceed to your lane, make a nest in river (without being seen) and have your partner make a purposefully failed harass attempt and kite them in your nest, where you proceed to massacre the chasing ennemies with 2-3 jacks. then just rig the map, and be as much of a ****** bag as you can, never show up to any team fights, but make sure choke points are crammed full of happy boxes, and watch your team bait them into them, net kills, be annoying, and make sure you always escape with a sliver of hp to make your opponents angry

i must warn you though, this build will do nothing for your team, you will barely be able to backdoor, you will be useless for team fights. but i can guarantee you will never have this much fun in a LoL game. the score to beat is 6/0/4 at 8 minutes, with a pushed tower and both champions at top lane ragequitting from repeated JITB blitz pulls

AGCrew Bloodwolf

10-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeakladroda View Post
5 pots/cloth armor, start with 2 wards at small golems, 3 at lizard, smite the blue banshee->kill golems->kill lizard->kill golem.

Even if the lanes are pushed you can decieve in and force them back. Don't always worry about the kills. As long as you are denying the opposing team gold and experience you are setting your team up for success.
Tyvm for the advice. I used to open golem 1st but I will try this other opening now and take it from there . I also looked at some screenshots from a diff thread about JITB positioning which also helped greatly. And thx for what to do in case kills are not possible, that mindset really helps in order to make the team get the most out of the jungler jester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange Ma Raie View Post
...so why not have a ton of fun with my blitzcrank buddy towing the ennemy team into my JITB nests?
That sounds like a lot of fun indeed ^^ thx for the input, I might try this on a prac game just for fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw guys, I used to try malady on him since I was following Pendragon's exact build (@ work atm so I dont remember it fully). These are the items I remember.

Madreds
Boots of Mobility
Malady
Starks
GA

Malady was not only considered trash, now its a hybrid item with AP and MR reduction.
What would u get after Madreds? BFSword into IE/Bloodth/Cleaver?
Or would u get a Sunfire just for the HP?
What else would u get on a normal build? (meaning enemies are not CC-heavy/physicaldmg heavy).

If you have any item build you'd like to recommend by all means go ahead and post 'em ^^.

SharpCheddarChee

10-22-2010

Well....shaco has been nerfed quite bad, but is still powerful enough to make even the strongest heroes quiver. I usually play him attack damage/sheen. I have played him sunfire a couple times, but only to be the tank/carry for my team, and it was quite successful. Nothing like an invisible clown that can hit for 400 damage and does 160 dps while he's next to you. I've ended games with shaco because of his ability to kill a champion quickly. Usually, if you're team is good, you don't have to build any survivability, just pure dps. I played a game recently where i had the chance to finish my build. In this build, I killed a Xin in 5 hits. That's the power of Shaco for ya. Sheen, boots, infiniti, BT, BT, PD. That's the build. Have fun!

AGCrew Bloodwolf

10-22-2010

Thx for sharing!

So:

Sheen for the extra magic dmg
Boots (whats needed I guess)
IE for crit+dmg
x2 Bloodth for lifesteal+dmg
Phanthom D for ms+crit+AS

Interesting.... lots of gold too but thats how it goes ^^ hehe... I've found out taht the best builds are the ones that synergyse with its game phase (early/mid/late game) and that u can adjust for whats needed w/o altering your final output too much (say, replace the 3rd item for a Bveil vs Blitz, add a Thornmail for a fed Twitch/Yi, etc).

I've tested the 1st item and I'm not too keen on the sheen (seewhatIdidthere:P) since it makes him "hybrid" on that 1st item then u go all the way DPS, but I do see some nice suggestions and basically make him stack a ****load of dmg. Will test the whole build :P.