[April MCCC] Rudian, Nature's Warrior.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyhawke

04-08-2013

This is my entry for the April MCCC. I'll add more details soon, but I wanted to get the background story and ability descriptions down for now. I wanted to create a champion that could blend some of the traditional druid and ranger archetypes, while incorporating a plant-centric theme.

Brief Background Story -
Sam was a member of the Rakkor tribe, and was one of the best warriors they had ever seen. Though he tried his best to fit in, he lacked the natural ferocity of the other warriors. When it came time for his Rite of Kor (in which two teens fight to the death) he bested his opponent quickly and when the crowd chanted for him to finish his opponent he finally obliged. Horrified at what he'd done, he fled Mount Targon that night to the mysterious Kumungu Jungle, hoping to abandon the violence and brutality of his people forever.

For a while, it appeared that his plan had succeeded. He learned to live off the land, and grew to love the flora and fauna of nature. However the dangers of the jungle provided no escape from violence, and the magical energies of Kumungu began to make him more ferocious and beast-like with every passing day. After years in the jungle he saved an explorer from a particularly vicious carnivorous plant. Impressed with his martial prowess, the explorer invited him to join the League of Legends. Fearing he'd lose his humanity by staying in the jungle, he accepted the invitation.

"Like a tree I cannot escape my roots, but with time I will grow and rise above the baseness of humanity."

Innate Passive: Beast Within - Every spell Sam causes him to lose Focus. When he reaches zero Focus, he gains bonus attack speed and movement speed for 5 seconds, but is unable to cast spells over that duration. After the 5 seconds are up, he will regain all his focus.

Q: Lashroot -
Roots whip around Sam, and enemies caught in the area will be snared for a time and be poisoned (dealt damage over time). (Spreads out somewhat slowly in a circle, overall range is about the same as Darius Q, enemies can only be affected once).

W: Nature's Fury -
Target ally (or Sam) gains a shield. If the shield breaks, they will deal bonus damage on their next basic attack. Short cool down and short duration shield.

E: Leech Seed -
Passive effect: Allies in area will slowly sap armor from nearby enemy champions or major monsters every second, up to a cap.
Active effect: Creates a line of impassible trees that shoots out from Sam. The length (amount of trees) is dependent on the amount of armor that has currently been sapped (full cap grants full duration).

R: Tranquil Rains -
A rain cloud follows Sam for 5 seconds, healing Sam and any nearby allied champions. If Sam has zero Focus the cloud becomes a thunder cloud, dealing damage to nearby enemy champions instead of healing.

Sam is a versatile melee champion who requires careful resource management. Due to the use of Focus as a resource, players can either choose to blow all their spells quickly, gaining powerful offensive stats but forfeiting the ability to cast spells for a while, or they can cast their spells carefully, maintaining more defenses and control over the battlefield. Sam has the tools to be an efficient jungler, but could also be used in a solo lane or as a support.

Changelog
- Changed terminology of resource system from Heat to Focus (still functions mostly the same)

Death By A Bunny

04-08-2013

Well, as an entrant of the MCCC, you definitely fit the theme requirements, but I want to go over something with you.

Heat is a mechanical passive. Rumble gains Heat because he is riding a machine, and using the mounted weapon system causes that machine to overheat, the same way that if you were to open multiple games of Crysis on your computer, then all the components would heat from overuse. The thing that makes Rumble's resource unique is the existence of the "Danger Zone", which is that special Heat range where all his skills are granted bonus effects by 25% (between 50 and 95 Heat). This means a smart Rumble player will know how to balance out between lashing out his skill and waiting out for the Heat cooling down back to the Danger Zone. The stage of overheating is meant to be more of a punishment than a bonus because it blocks the use of skills and only gives Rumble bonus magic damage for basic attacks, which is not very useful because for the most part he'll be an AP champion, not AD. This also means you have to build up your Heat all over again back into the Danger Zone to become an effective combatant again.

Also, the control over roots and rain clouds falls under the category of magic, so logically your champion should be utilizing mana as a resource, not Heat.

Skyhawke

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By A Bunny View Post
Well, as an entrant of the MCCC, you definitely fit the theme requirements, but I want to go over something with you.

Heat is a mechanical passive. Rumble gains Heat because he is riding a machine and using the mounted weapon system causes it to overheat, the same way that if you were to open multiple games of Crysis on your computer, then all the components would heat from overuse. The thing that makes Rumble's resource unique is the existence of the "Danger Zone", which is that special area where all his skills are granted bonus effects by 25%. This means a smart Rumble player will know how to balance out between lashing out his skill and waiting out for the Heat cooling down back to the Danger Zone.

Also, the control over roots and rain clouds falls under the category of magic, so logically your champion should be utilizing mana as a resource, not Heat.
Excellent points and thanks for the feedback!

I agree that the actual name "heat" might not work here, so maybe I'd be forced to change the name for clarity's sake. I was more interested with the mechanical similarities. The thematic idea is that he has the darkness and ferocity inside of him, so if he gets into the battle too fast he goes into rage mode. The mechanical idea is that you have a character who has great supportive and defensive spells that can forfeit them for greater offensive power if he chooses.

Also, I considered adding the "danger zone" idea as well to my champ, but I was worried his passive would be way too close to Rumble at that point.

Death By A Bunny

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawke View Post
The thematic idea is that he has the darkness and ferocity inside of him, so if he gets into the battle too fast he goes into rage mode.
Then how about utilizing something like Fury? We already have 3 champions that do, one more in theory couldn't hurt. Just remember each champion has special interaction between their Fury and their kit, so if you do use Fury (or something similar), try give a new little niche for your champion.

Skyhawke

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By A Bunny View Post
Then how about utilizing something like Fury? We already have 3 champions that do, one more in theory couldn't hurt. Just remember each champion has special interaction between their Fury and their kit, so if you do use Fury (or something similar), try give a new little niche for your champion.
Fury wouldn't work for my current concept, though the name does sound right. Maybe I'll just invert the Heat system and call it "Focus" which will basically be energy with minor differences. I'll look into it.

Anyhow, thanks again for the feedback!

Artic Arion

04-09-2013

As this is an april MCCC entrant, shouldn't it have the challenge ability mechanics? I'm assuming the passive on your E is supposed to cover the ally buff and enemy debuff challenge. I'm assuming that allies in the area 'steal enemies' defences? Another thing, if you look at Rengar's page you will notice that his passive is not about ferocity,it's a unique mechanic. Unless you have something unique about your champions resource, give them a unique passive.

Skyhawke

04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic Arion View Post
As this is an april MCCC entrant, shouldn't it have the challenge ability mechanics? I'm assuming the passive on your E is supposed to cover the ally buff and enemy debuff challenge. I'm assuming that allies in the area 'steal enemies' defences? Another thing, if you look at Rengar's page you will notice that his passive is not about ferocity,it's a unique mechanic. Unless you have something unique about your champions resource, give them a unique passive.
You assume correctly.

And he does have a unique passive, he will receive a great boost to attack speed and movement speed while "overheated." Using heat as a resource--in my opinion--means that he will become silenced if he uses too many abilities in a row. So the passive boost means he will gain attack speed and movement speed bonuses while overheated.