Horrendous in-game community

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xojins

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofRawr View Post
Unfortunately, the community comes with any game that is competitive.
Also, parts of the community tend to be a little delusional, and think they are better then they actually are. This makes it so they fly off the handle when people aren't playing up to their expectations.
This is somewhat true, but you can be competitive without being a complete ass, so I don't buy this as a legitimate reason. I have played other online games extensively (including CS, CoD, TF2 etc.), and this game is by far the worst. This is the only game I've played where only one minor mistake will get people yelling and calling you a "****ing noob" for the rest of the game, and then blame you for every mistake anyone on the team made.

xojins

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckRockpec View Post
I don't agree with this. I played LoL for about a year when it launched, and I remember things being a lot worse then. It wasn't unusual for there to be a couple trolls, or groups of trolls, on every team. Players would make troll accounts and start games as groups of two or three just to ruin the experience of new players.

I am just coming back to LoL after a year of not playing at all, and I can easily see an improvement in the in-game community. People are much less likely to insult one another, and helpful comments are far more common. I'm sure the honour system, which gamifies good behavior, and the tribunal, which crowdsources and speeds up penalties for bad behavior,is responsible for this shift.

Of course, you still meet some toxic players. I find the best way to deal with them is by not rising to their bait. If they are rude, you make a point of being polite by including "please" and "thank you" in your messages. Even if the toxic player doesn't change their behavior, I find that being polite helps keep your other three teammates focused on the game and playing to win. However, if they do change their behavior, reward them for it with compliments like "good gank," or whatever. Positive reinforcement is a far superior teaching strategy than negative reinforcement.
I didn't play when the game first came out, so I don't know whether or not it's better now. But just because something is "better" than it used to me doesn't mean it's good.

Odyesseus

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
You're better off participating in the tribunal if you want to cut back on the toxic community. Posts on a forum like this one are very unlikely to lead to the results you desire.

As much as I can hate the toxicity of some of the community - Even in FPS like Counterstrike it was as bad if not worse. The difference here tends to be the fact that in a game like this, you're far more dependent on team performance.

Ya, what he said. I noticed when I started participating in the Tribunal, my own attitude changed in the game. Now I hardly come across anyone toxic enough to report. Unless they are completely out-of-line.

Mich567

01-21-2013

Keep on going... just report, do the tribunal, and IGNOREIGNOREIGNORE. Not all kids are like that. And try to change attitudes too. Don't turn into one of the "******bags". Find some good friends and play with them... there are so many solutions to this other than making a post on the forums. A lot of the people above me have it right too.

xojins

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich567 View Post
Keep on going... just report, do the tribunal, and IGNOREIGNOREIGNORE. Not all kids are like that. And try to change attitudes too. Don't turn into one of the "******bags". Find some good friends and play with them... there are so many solutions to this other than making a post on the forums. A lot of the people above me have it right too.
Perhaps, but reporting people really doesn't seem to do anything. I have reported several people for stuff like this, yet it does not seem to deter anyone at all, whatsoever. Ignoring people doesn't really do much either, as I seem to get put back onto the same team as people I've ignored in the past (and somehow even though they're on my ignore list their chat still comes up).

Wiltsee

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
You're better off participating in the tribunal if you want to cut back on the toxic community. Posts on a forum like this one are very unlikely to lead to the results you desire.

As much as I can hate the toxicity of some of the community - Even in FPS like Counterstrike it was as bad if not worse. The difference here tends to be the fact that in a game like this, you're far more dependent on team performance.

i think the op is just voicing his frustrations and looking for people who agree with him. telling him this thread is ineffective doesn't help make him feel welcomed, which, judging by the post, is something he's looking for.

anyway, to the op, it happens. it just does. we as people have an urge to try to hurt people in reaction to when we've been hurt. but it's only because we've been hurt that we actually do it in the first place.

your best bet for successful, in-game atmospheres is to just not argue, or, and probably most important, ignore. and let them know that you're not trying to argue. i can't tell you how many arguments i've defused by telling people "hey, uh, seriously, you're on my team. i'm not trying to fight you."

of course, there's the tribunal too, and it does work. it may not be visually spectacular (since tribunal really doesn't make it too clear as to whether or not you really changed something). but it does work.

however, take my advice for the most immediate impact.

BK Ambientz

01-21-2013

The problem is when people pick fights, I struggle to not say things back. Its often much too hard for me to just mute them. Something I have to work on.