(Champion Concept) A creative approach to a Wrestling themed champion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pixel Spark

01-21-2013

When designing this champion I wanted to give the player the feeling of controlling an actual wrestler while making his moves not have to have some incredibly complicated programming to make him do crazy throws or anything. His base skills, lariat and mighty charge, are there to give him tools to properly initiate a fight and to be able to farm in lane (since he'd be reduced to basic attacking because his q can only be cast on champions nor would it be economical if it could). I intended for him to be exceptional for locking up a single target, while not being the best team fighter unless his team can properly fend off attackers for him to land his combos on his desired target. He can deal ok aoe damage and can push a champion or two as he pleases, but outside of his Q he would just follow a champion and basic attack them while waiting for cooldowns. That's where show stopper comes into play. It gives him the tankiness needed to lead the charge and compliments his lack of options in a team fight by increasing his damage output for a duration. Also, show stopper compliments his lore. He was bio-chemically engineered by Singed after all so it only seemed fitting to give him an ability that is a bit like Insanity Potion.

Also, thanks for the input Keep it up, guys.

Pixel Spark

01-22-2013

Bu-derp

Pixel Spark

01-23-2013

Burmp

Pixel Spark

01-28-2013

Small edits.

OuttaControl56

01-28-2013

I like this concept. Seems like a good addition to top lane....

But i have one problem....

What if you Q when you're level one? You'll just both stay rooted and miss Cs.... lol

The Lord Impaler

01-28-2013

A Wrestling Theme Champion should be a MASKED wrestler, aka Lucha libre / Mexican wrestler. They are a popular, colorful and quite campy pop culture to draw from.

As for the abilities, they feel Way too much like a clone of Vi, I think some more creative abilities could be devised that substantially differ from Vi. Perhaps a suppress ability (chock-hold) in which Hazard is also suppressed until the moves time elapses (rather longer) or he voluntarily relinquishes it (which he can do at any time by hitting the ability button again) their might also be some escalating damage over time (suffocation) but wouldn't be the main point of the skill. The idea is that he gets a team mate to pummel on the victim while Hazard holds them, just like tag team wrestling and like a one-man Amumu ult.

Focus on GRAPPLING rather then punching so it feels like like Vi, make everything about him work around grappling as the central mechanic with various debuffs and CC being placed on opponents that he touches.

Also his Ult must involve him hitting the opponent with a folding chair.

Pixel Spark

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaControl56 View Post
I like this concept. Seems like a good addition to top lane....

But i have one problem....

What if you Q when you're level one? You'll just both stay rooted and miss Cs.... lol
You could take it at rank 1 to get a nasty holding skill during an invade. You could also wait for the enemy to begin taking harass for lane minions then hold them in place to get some free damage in. It would make a big difference at level 1. Imagine invading the jungler and catching them at blue-buff with little health, then suppressing them in place to get killed by it? I didn't want his q to inflict any damage because his free cast moves (barring his ultimate) afterwards are supposed to cover that. Could just pull a Zilean and make it unobtainable at level 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord Impaler View Post
A Wrestling Theme Champion should be a MASKED wrestler, aka Lucha libre / Mexican wrestler. They are a popular, colorful and quite campy pop culture to draw from.

As for the abilities, they feel Way too much like a clone of Vi, I think some more creative abilities could be devised that substantially differ from Vi. Perhaps a suppress ability (chock-hold) in which Hazard is also suppressed until the moves time elapses (rather longer) or he voluntarily relinquishes it (which he can do at any time by hitting the ability button again) their might also be some escalating damage over time (suffocation) but wouldn't be the main point of the skill. The idea is that he gets a team mate to pummel on the victim while Hazard holds them, just like tag team wrestling and like a one-man Amumu ult.

Focus on GRAPPLING rather then punching so it feels like like Vi, make everything about him work around grappling as the central mechanic with various debuffs and CC being placed on opponents that he touches.
You raise some very valid points. I intended for him to be able to take his opponents and just toss them around the battlefield like you'll see wrestlers do in the ring; I was looking at that as the primary focus, but without giving him some incredibly complex-to-program moves. However, simple rewording could go a long way, like, say if he were to smash his opponent away with a nasty head-butt rather than his fist. As for the debuffs on holds, that is actually a really cool idea. Maybe instead of increasing the suppression of Q and the range it could have a flat range that increases if the passive is ready and a flat suppression timer (would make sense considering the move can be canceled at any time), but increase in the effectiveness of a debuff that will persist during and shortly after the move... Or some combination of scaling between these things. I intended on Q being the grapple and his other skills giving it a different effect so that his other skills can still be activated independently to give him more than just the one gimmick. Basically, his role is that in a team-fight he'll be able to cover a distance to single out a target and suppress them in his moves while his allies follow-up to pummel them, but to also give some kind of counter play so that the summoner controlling him needs to make conscious decisions on when a good time to land the Q is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord Impaler View Post
Also his Ult must involve him hitting the opponent with a folding chair.
I couldn't agree more

I'm thinking of changing the name of No Holds Barred! To Submit!, or Submission. Maybe Toxic Grip? Something that better indicates that it's actually a hold.

As always, I do appreciate any and all input!

Pixel Spark

01-29-2013

Edit: Tons of name updates and ability desription updates.

Updated Lore and Reworked Q (So the name makes a bit more sense) coming up soon!

Pixel Spark

01-29-2013

If I ever do get my copy of illustrator running on my new machine then I'll more than likely end up drawing out splash art for him as well.

Extra Pistol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Review #1: Hazard, the Mask of Zaun
Link your champion concept here for an in-depth review.

Quote:
Haymaker strikes (Passive)

Hazard charges his next basic attack to dash him a short distance toward his target dealing extra damage and dazing the target, stunning them for a short duration. This effect refreshes every 10 seconds.

Range of dash: 125 + Auto attack range (125) = 250
Damage: 5 damage per level
Duration of stun: 0.5 seconds
Though I'd normally be concerned about a free stun, this is actually a really cool implementation because it isn't necessarily an on-demand CC. I really like the gameplay created by this mechanic, allowing junglers or lane enemies a window of opportunity to take advantage of the necessary last hits that proc this effect. The player must also choose if they want to burn their stun on the last hit in question, or go for a trade.

The dash range is very tiny though, almost negligible. If anything, I see it throwing the player off rather than aiding in gap closing, since Toxic Grip already works as a closing tool and since it has more range, it would probably be your opener anyway. The dash could probably be removed and it wouldn't impair Hazard at all.

Quote:
Q - Toxic Grip: (rework on this skill pending; still deciding on what it should do)

Hazard will jump a short distance to a nearby champion and suppress them in a grapple hold, but also rooting himself in place and rendering himself unable to attack for the duration. While rooted, Hazard's next ability will have a different effect when cast. Hazard may be knocked out of his hold by any hard Crowd Control, ending all its effects.

-Cost: 100 mana
-Cooldown 20/18/16/14/12 seconds
-Range of jump: 200/250/300/350/400
-Duration of suppression} 1.25/1.5/1.75/2/2.25 seconds
Suppression on a non-ultimate scares me, especially since he already has his passive microstun. I see the thematic reasoning, you don't want people to cleanse out of his grip, and it is tied to a lengthy cooldown at early ranks, but late game this guy is going to be grabbing people right and left. If his goal is to simply suppress the enemy, he does risk being CC'd and freeing his victim, but a good player would probably recognize the threat and immediately use a second activation.

For tooltip simplicity, this entire grab/hold action can be tied to a channel.

As for changing all of your other abilities's effects after using this ability, I see a bit of unnecessary complexity. I would try to pick one cool "grip" effect and tie it to a reactivation of this ability to keep the kit clean.

Quote:
W - Lariat:

(Passive): Hazard ignores unit collision

(Active): Hazard extends his arms and spins wildly, inflicting damage to any units nearby and knocking any Minions or monsters away from him.

-Cost: 30/35/40/45/50 mana
-Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6
-Radius of AoE: 370
-Damage of AoE: 75/115/155/195/235 + 80% of bonus AD

(Toxic Grip Bonus): Size-up

Hazard will butt heads with enemy in his grip, inflicting damage and knocking them a short distance away from him.

-Damage from hit: 85/115/145/175/205 + 60% total AD
Pretty standard ability, nothing wrong with that. I'm worried about the readability on knocking minions/monsters and not champions. Why not knock everything? The Q-synergy ability already does a similar action, but only knocks and damages a single enemy. Chaining it with Q almost seems like it would take away a lot of the clear utility here (AoE Damage)

Quote:
E - Off The Ropes:

(Passive): Hazard gains a percentage boost to his maximum health per level.

Health % per level 2/4/6/8/10%

(Active): Hazard pays a small amount of health to recklessly hurl himself in the direction of the cast, inflicting damage to any enemies hit and dragging them the duration. Enemies who collide with terrain while being pushed will cancel the dash, but take additional damage and will be stunned for a short duration.

-Cost: 30/50/70/90/110 Health
-Cooldown: 22/20/18/16/14
Distance of hurl: 700
Damage from hit: 60/110/160/210/260 + 60% of total AD
Additional impact damage: 25/50/75/100/125 + 40% of total AD
Duration of Collide stun: 1.5 seconds

(Toxic Grip Bonus): Airborne

Hazard will violently throw The enemy in his grip into the air which will inflict damage, and apply a slow upon landing.

-Duration of slow: 1.5 seconds
-Amount of slow: 20/30/40/50/60%
- Airborne duration: About the same as a Power Fist from Blitz Crank (not sure what the actual value is but this gives an idea)
-Damage from hit: 85/130/175/220/265 + 60% of Bonus AD)
Whoa. That is a LOT of health, or I'm misreading. I will assume this is supposed to read "Passive: Hazard gains maximum health" and the amount you get from ranking it is 2/4/6/8/10%.

The health cost seems a bit arbitrary, though I sort of see the theme here (hurling yourself against walls/enemies will probably injure yourself) but chances are enemies are going to already want to do that to you too. In the current state of this champion, you would never want to rank this up early as you would bleed yourself out very quickly since your health pool isn't large and your health items haven't been purchased yet. Something to keep in mind, since this can be used without an enemy target it effectively doubles as a very high-range escape tool as well. If you want to ensure it is used for combat purposes, make the bonus for hitting champions so worthwhile that using it to retreat seems silly.

The Q-link effect is again less interesting than the standard effect. It seems like you'd always want to use this to drag enemies towards your team after initiating, rather than throw one enemy in the air and slow them.

Quote:
R - 'On My Level:

Hazard gains a flat increase to his armor, magic resistance, attack damage and crowd control reduction for a duration. Hazard's attacks will also deal additional physical damage equal to a percent of the enemies maximum health and his damaging abilities will deal bonus damage equal to a percentage of the enemies missing health (both values are capped against monsters).

Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 130/115/100 seconds
Duration: 12 seconds
Flat increase to Armor, Magic Resist, Attack Damage: 20/30/40
CC reduction: 10/15/20%
% damage from basic attacks: 1/2/3% of maximum health (max 120 damage to monsters)
% damage from abilities: 5/10/15% of missing health (max 250 damage to monsters)}

(Toxic Grip Bonus): Hazard Hammer

Hazard will jump high in the air with his the enemy in his grip and slam them into the ground using his signature move,inflicting damage and stunning them for a short duration. Hazard is untargetable for the duration.

-Cost: 75 mana
-Cool Down: Each time 'On My Level comes off Cooldown, this ability comes off Cooldown as well. When 'On My Level's buff duration ends or this ability is activated, this ability goes on Cooldown.
-Damage from slam: 170/295/420 + 135% of Bonus AD
-Airborne duration: 1 second
-Stun duration: 1 seconds)
The flat stat boosts are appealing to the fighter archetype, but this guy seems very ability-focused to warrant bonus damage to enemies on autos. Hazard has a lot of good reasons to use his abilities before using basic attacks (the wealth of crowd control speaks for itself). These are things you'd want to use first, but since the bonus here on abilities is percent of missing health, you get the best effect when they are already at low health. This seems like a bit of an anti-combo.

The Q-link is cool, but a 2-second single-target disable/nuke seems a bit underwhelming. Since his previous ability boosts damage at low health, this could make for a neat finisher, but then the stun is wasted. Overall, this ability seems conflicted.

Final Thoughts:
  • Try to simplify the grab->ability interaction.
    It currently is a bit confusing, and the payoff of using the linked abilities seems a bit underwhelming compared to the ability's standard effects. I would lean towards having the initial grab being the only ability that links, making the 1-2 punch very clear to the player and enemy.
  • Make the ultimate a centerpiece.
    This champion's flavor lends itself to a lot of really badass stuff, and a stat steroid seems very underwhelming, even with the link ability. Heck, some polishing on the link ability, independent of Q, would be a fantastic start, maybe sundering them into the ground and knocking away enemies to make him an single-target initiator. Imagine something cool, and turn it up to 11. Make sure the player can feel awesome when using it. If you're stuck for ideas, take your favorite combo or interaction already on him, and turn that up to 11.

What I Like:
  • Passive adds really good gameplay and is a very strong decision point.
  • Theme of the character lends itself to some awesome stuff without stepping on Vi's toes.

Where to Improve:
  • Q-linked abilities seem a bit messy in implementation
  • E seems conflicted, but also incredibly strong
  • His combo isn't very clear, since he has several gap closing and initiation tools, often on the same ability
I see the start of a really cool concept here. Good work!