Garens splash art? Maybe a model rework?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dondarrion

01-21-2013

(I posted this in General Discussion, think it was meant to go here)
He isn't the most popular champion but he was one of my first champions I started actually doing ok with against bots and when I started playing normals. And in light of his new skin coming out, thought it might be time to discuss an update to a few other things on him.

Splash Art
His current splash art looks pretty ancient compared to these other examples
Old splash art - http://i49.tinypic.com/jrqh36.jpg
Cool splash art from the tourney website - http://i49.tinypic.com/2w4xtaq.jpg
Pool Party Ziggs splash art - http://i45.tinypic.com/nnw45i.jpg
At the bottom left is Garen (I think lol), in the client you probably can't see him as he's blocked by the skin select panels.

Model Rework
The other thing on the list would be a model rework, I know he'd be pretty low on the list (Sion, Master Yi, etc) but I'd like it if he was added to the list (I don't know, maybe he is already).
Mostly I just have trouble watching him walk/run and his auto attack animations. His walking, he bounces around all jolly and stuff which actually looks funny to watch. And his basic attack animations, he swings his sword like it's made of plastic. When I compare him to Darius, Darius just looks way more fearsome.

My suggestions:
- Make his sword thicker like in the tourney splash art.
- Make him hold his sword on his shoulder, he could still do his punch animation and bring it down with a weighty force on minions when last hitting or critting. Could also easily grip it in two hands when he starts his spin.
- With his Q, maybe he could grip his sword in 2 hands while running, would match the skill since it'd make him look fearsome and everyone runs from him when he starts his Q anyway.

Balance
I won't really go into a balance area since I don't know what to do with him, he can't match up well with other top lanes and gets kited too easily, without a few fairly big changes to his skill set, there's nothing else I can really suggest. Maybe a Kat like cd reset/lengthen on his spin if he kills a minion/kill or assist? Maybe his Q can proc a slow? He can harass great pre-first back with his silence/spin but after, meh. Imagine if his Q stunned, instant op.

TL;DR Riot pls, a word on his status if he's on your list

Chaz5

01-21-2013

I agree in some respects, especially the tourney art. I can easily imagine that image zoomed in slightly with Garen on a battlefield about to cleave a noxian soldier in two, or on a earthy rise overlooking the battlefield.

I disagree about him holding the blade on his shoulder when moving however, while it may look cool while standing still he would look dorky as hell when running xD

Wolfynsong

01-21-2013

Garen's default splash art could certainly use a rework.

I mean, that hand. The one holding the sword. It is so fugly.

Dondarrion

01-21-2013

Last bump in hopes that a red sees this.