How to deal with Elo Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rectal Necrosis

01-20-2013

I'll start this topic with my lolking stats, because we know that's very, very, very important. A person's lolking stats are obviously the only thing you need to know about someone to make a judgement on them. So here they are: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/195649

Oh look at that, I'm in ELO hell. Actually, I've been in ELO hell. I've been stuck in that demonic prison since 2010. 2009 was cool, but we didn't have seasons or ranked matches back then, so ELO hell didn't really exist. Here's the thing. I'm not going to tell you how to get out of ELO hell. Sure, I have a friend who's right now in the 1800 ratings, and another at the 1600, but I'm not them. I'm just another ELO hell junkie who's trying to get out.

Here are some observations.
-At the start of a match, generally the first thing I see in the chat is
12yearoldwhojustlearnedwhatanallnighteris: MID
BoucheDag: TOP
Alright, that's fine. Someone obviously thinks they do well in top or mid. They probably also think that Katarina is completely unstoppable because no one would think twice about using even the most remote amount of CC to stop her ult, but that's fine. These people are either 1 of 2 things. 1, they're *******s who think themselves better than they are or people who are sick of playing support and want to play a different role that round. That's fine, let them have it. You should focus on what needs to be done.

-Generic bans happen very frequently.
Guys, we're in the 800-1599 range, we're not HotShotGG. Instead of banning Blitz, Amumu, and Alistar, think. Say "Hey BoucheDag who just called top, if you could pick one champion you really don't want to deal with, who would it be?" I play Singed top. A scrub pick like Darius doesn't scare me. Wukong however, scares the ever living piss out of me because our play styles collide. Then see who mid really doesn't want to deal with, and then who bot doesn't want to deal with. If a lane says they can handle anything, then think what jungle you really wouldn't want to be ganked by. This kind of stuff helps players because they're no longer worried about fighting their worst fears.
Note: I like to ban Ezreal bot lane because he's a GG easy champ to play. I also don't like seeing LeBlanc or Blitzcrank. Other than Blitz, none of these champs are what you'd consider super-ban-worthy, but I really don't like dealing with them and feel better without them.

-Some scrub complains that he wants mid even though you called it first.
This happens a lot.You called mid, and some other buck futter goes on a rant about how he's 5/0 as mid (as an AP Yi no less. Seriously, slap yourself with a wet phone book if you play Yi AP). Alright, even though I really wanted to play TF or Ryze this round, let the whiner have his way. I'd rather deal with a team that communicates well and doesn't feel animosity, than a bunch of flamers who all had to get their way. Buckle up and go play support then.

-Players pick champs they're good at, and not pub stompers
My buddy plays SC2 in Diamond league. He's nothing fancy, but the stuff I watch him pull off is simply amazing. When I asked him how I could get to where he was, his response was one word: "Cheese".
Swallow your pride.
Go Miss Fortune Bot lane with a Leona. Then, send Twisted Fate or Kassadin mid. Put Lee-sin or Xin-Zhao in your jungle, and run Darius, Wukong, or Singed top lane. We are not pro players, get that through your head. We are people trying to claw our way out of ELO hell and throw a bunch of prepubescent swear-mongers off our backs. Get the cheesiest champs you can find and break the game with them. When you're 1600 ELO, you can have Skarner jungle again. You can run bot lane with Caitlyn. However, until you're 1600, cheese the game. If you have honor or shame in ELO hell, you're going to be there a long time.

-Jungle Invades work
Here's the thing. The enemy team can only defend their jungle so well. On average, a good mid will be in one of the river bushes, the jungle will be the buff's bush, and between 1-2 other players will be standing guard. 3 champions cannot overpower 5. 1 Champion sure as hell cannot survive a stun and a couple of auto attacks. The objective is not to steal blue buff, it's to get first blood on Annie.

-Don't be a jerk
I have to calm my wife down all day because she hates other players. We play Duo Queue, and I can honestly say only 2 of our losses are the fault of either of us. If you can't handle the players anymore, turn of League of Legends and go watch an episode of Archer. Yelling at a teammate only makes them worse.

-It doesn't matter if bot feeds
Win 2 of your lanes, that's it. Like I said, I play Singed top. The jungle never has to worry about me and is free to babysit mid and bot. When I'm bot lane, I'm Janna. Even if my ADC get's blitz-pulled, I can provide enough CC and defense to get them out of the fight. If your lane is losing, do not drag everyone else down with you. If you're 0/2 and their adc has twice your farm, sit at the tower. You've lost for now, don't demand the jungler when your lane is lost. If the jungler can help the other 2 lanes win, then it's fine. Apologize, and make it up in the mid game.

-ELO Hell is a mindset
Yes, there are the worst kinds of people here. But that doesn't matter. Your Soraka isn't buying wards? Don't yell at them and tell them to uninstall, go buy a green ward. It's 75, you can generally afford it with your next item and the 3 health pots you bought when you backed. 1 player can drag down a team, and it's generally not the guy who's feeding.

That's that. ELO hell sucks. Basement dwellers and people with aspergers (not even auto-correct will admit that's a disease) roam free. Great. That doesn't mean you have to become one. If I see you being unpleasent to someone you forced to be jungle so that you could selfishly top as Teemo, I will rip you a new bung hole. People who flame their team-mates and make ELO hell a thing have two options: Switch to the BR servers, to start playing Dota 2. That place is full of a bunch of elitist whine bags, you'll fit right in.

System Halifax

01-20-2013

I dont care if I were to be in elo hell as long as I contribute to a team that pwns, Ill be good

NaginataX

01-20-2013

First I'd like to say I actually read the post and I agree with it 95%.

Only part that I think you may have contradicted yourself is you recommend:

1. Banning people you don't like as opposed to the permabans

and

2. "Cheesing" or taking advantage of the OP champs

There's a reason that Amumu, Blitzcrank, Malphite, Shen, etc are all on the permaban list and that is because they either:

A) Require little skill to play (I dug myself up-if-not-out of elo hell with Amumu on a whim)
B) Can't be killed/denied hardly at all (ie. Singed)
C) Can single-handedly pull a bad team with a single button (ie. Malphite, Amumu again, etc)

I think if you ban a Vayne just because you don't want to play against her, you run the risk of banning someone they might not even have chosen, and also free-up a permaban spot where you're now dealing with a possible Blitz or something worse. Edit: Unless your team captain has first ban and is intending on choosing one of the permabans for his/herself or trading it to someone who can play them, I don't really recommend banning anything else...but that may be strategy in mid-higher elo.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Necrosis View Post
I'll start this topic with my lolking stats, because we know that's very, very, very important. A person's lolking stats are obviously the only thing you need to know about someone to make a judgement on them. So here they are: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/195649
Irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Here are some observations.
-At the start of a match, generally the first thing I see in the chat is
12yearoldwhojustlearnedwhatanallnighteris: MID
BoucheDag: TOP
Yeah, solo lanes are always the first to go. I have yet to figure out why. As you said, do what needs to be done - work around your teammates.

Quote:
-Generic bans happen very frequently.
Generic bans are there for a reason. Unless you're first pick on blue team and intending to take one of them, or someone specifically requests a different ban, ban the generics. Talking about it is great, if you have time, but you don't. Banning outside the generics(like Wu and Ez) looks to your teammates like you're wasting bans, and can cause trolling or other unpleasantness.

Quote:
-Some scrub complains that he wants mid even though you called it first.
The funny part is when the scrub is an early pick, and thinks he deserves it because of that. Actually, he just makes it easier for himself to be countered, and prevents you from having a chance to counter - but as you say, let him, because that's usually safer then destroying your team chemistry by fighting about it. As an aside, you need to book a flight to Moscow and pack a phone book and some water bottles in your carry on, because Alex Ich needs a visit from you.

Quote:
-Players pick champs they're good at, and not pub stompers
No ****. Play what you're comfortable with. If champions are broken("pubstompers" as you call them), you should be banning them, not leaving them available for the other team to have. This is usually only the case after a particular unusual patch, and before a major tournament has been played on that patch, though - Riot fixes this **** quickly, especially when it's made very obvious at high levels of play. I'd rather have an ADC playing the Cait he's familiar with then the MF he's never tried before, regardless of how OP you imagined MF to be at the time of posting. Additionally, the generic bans like Shen, Malphite, Amumu, Blitz, which you seem to disapprove of, prevent your opponents from playing "pubstompers" that they're actually good at, as well as preventing your teammates from picking them just because they're open, even if they're not good with them.

Quote:
-Jungle Invades work
They can. They can also put your teammates behind in their lanes, and throw off your jungler. You need to realize that, if it's a 5v3 here, there are 2 people in their lanes free farming, while your equivalent laners will pick up an assist at best, and be behind in both levels and CS, without necessarily picking up much of an item advantage. It also puts your jungler behind on his route. All of this is especially true of players who aren't used to invading, since they have minimal experience dealing with it. Putting their jungler behind isn't worth it if their lanes don't end up needing his help, since he's free to farm his jungle and catch up while your jungler, who's also behind, has to try to relieve pressure on the other lanes which have now started at a disadvantage. Again, this can work - but it's not guaranteed, especially not at low elo where people are more inclined to believe in elo hell. They can definitely snowball a game, but which way is up in the air.

Quote:
-Don't be a jerk
K, I'm back to agreeing with you again.

Quote:
-It doesn't matter if bot feeds
Tell that to your raging mid laner. But yes, this is essentially true, and the more people who realize it, the better.

Quote:
-ELO Hell is a mindset
Yes. Entirely. Elo hell is a myth which exists entirely within the minds of unskilled players who can't accept that they're unskilled. Riot's matchmaking system is very effective, and will place you at the proper skill level within 2-300 games. If you are in what you consider to be elo hell after that many games, the fact is that that's just where you belong, and you need to focus on your own mistakes to improve and climb out - not those of your teammates.

til Days of Blue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

Nothing from your ranked stats impress me though

---------------

Also, Cheesing the game doesn't work until you actually understand the game. I personally cheese every once in a while, but it should not be used as a reliable way to gain ELO in solo queue, as the other 4 players don't really know what you are going for.

Sereg Anfaug

01-20-2013

Ken makes a great point - "cheese" can be viable as a team strategy, but running it in solo queue throws your teammates off just as much as your enemies, if not moreso, and can damage team chemistry which wouldn't even be a factor while "cheese"ing with a premade.

NaginataX

01-20-2013

@Sereg Anfaug
@ExecutionerKen

I think he's putting out his lolking stats to show humility and that he himself is in Elo hell before the inevitable "YOU NOT GUD I SAW UR BAD ELO ON LULKING SO YOUR GUIDE = ****"

Sereg Anfaug

01-20-2013

Could be. I don't use third party sites though, so they actually are irrelevant to me, as I can't even see them =P

til Days of Blue

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaginataX View Post
@Sereg Anfaug
@ExecutionerKen

I think he's putting out his lolking stats to show humility and that he himself is in Elo hell before the inevitable "YOU NOT GUD I SAW UR BAD ELO ON LULKING SO YOUR GUIDE = ****"
I split my comments into 2 parts mainly because first half of his guide he is just whining while the other half is actually somewhat constructive.

Thus why my second half of the comment is also a reasonable response

a Fatality

01-20-2013

The first step to escaping "elo hell" is to realize it's not real. Elo hell is a state of mind, not an actual bracket. Trolls and afks happen in every bracket to all players. It's a part of playing in an online community. If you want to improve your rating, there are only 2 mechanics that you need to master, game mechanics and people mechanics. Your post shows that you should focus on the people mechanics.