Does ezreal have a learning curve?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Splurged

01-20-2013

i bought ezreal today but i lost 3 normals in a row. I played 3 bot games before the normals. Its not thant im not landing skillshots. i got an across the map kill with ult. It might be thats i was laning against jayce and wukong, but what is wrong is that i do no damage. Is my build bad? Berserk greaves-BT-PD-LW-IE-GA. My farm is highest at 10 minutes. Whats wrong?

tl;dr Does ezreal have a really steep learning curve or need to rush LW before PD?

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

How do you do no damage with that build? o_O

Maybe try subbing a cleaver for the LW, and I've seen alot of Statikk Shiv on Ez, since it helps his pushing, but otherwise it looks good. If the opposing team has lots of armor, take the LW and the cleaver, subbing out something else. You might also consider an HP item like Warmog's over the GA, but that's not really relevant to your damage output, unless you're too squishy to be where you need to be in fights.

Otherwise, the problem might be positioning - do you play alot of ADC?

Splurged

01-20-2013

I play a lot of ADC. I played mained graves before today. I think mabye because they were so fed that my damage was so low and that my support was veigar...

Shallow Cubes

01-20-2013

Yes, Ezreal has a steep learning curve. No, most people do not realize this. People rarely distinguish between an "easy" champion and a "safe" champion. His safety and map presence are what keep him in the ADC Trinity (granted, his early-mid game damage is great with little itemization if built correctly).

Many players understand how to use him, but they do not understand how to use him effectively. They have a rough idea of his safety and map presence, given his kit. But really understanding how to use him goes well beyond that.

Ezreal thrives off of a lot of poke, and his strength shines mid-game because there are so many situations you can address in his itemization. I'll give you two main suggestions with your build order...

BT is nice if you can save up for it and get it early (assuming you are fed). Other build routes you can consider are getting a Sheen early. Helps with mana and your poking power. Ezreal is one of the poker grandmasters of this game.

I'd say drop the PD. No need for it really, unless you want the movement speed. Ezreal already has an innate AS steroid that is easy to build up thanks to the low mana cost and low CD on his Q. And if you're in a team fight, just hit a quick well-aimed W to get your stacks up (or a well-aimed ult?).

If you can safely get BT first, consider Sheen next cause you'll be hitting like a truck relatively quickly. It's all situational though. Remember that.

EDIT: And if you're completing a tri-force on Ez, instead of the Iceborn gauntlet (using the Sheen), you should consider building Zeal as your last completion item, since Phage is much more beneficial.

Splurged

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Cubes View Post
Yes, Ezreal has a steep learning curve. No, most people do not realize this. People rarely distinguish between an "easy" champion and a "safe" champion. His safety and map presence are what keep him in the ADC Trinity (granted, his early-mid game damage is great with little itemization if built correctly).

Many players understand how to use him, but they do not understand how to use him effectively. They have a rough idea of his safety and map presence, given his kit. But really understanding how to use him goes well beyond that.

Ezreal thrives off of a lot of poke, and his strength shines mid-game because there are so many situations you can address in his itemization. I'll give you two main suggestions with your build order...

BT is nice if you can save up for it and get it early (assuming you are fed). Other build routes you can consider are getting a Sheen early. Helps with mana and your poking power. Ezreal is one of the poker grandmasters of this game.

I'd say drop the PD. No need for it really, unless you want the movement speed. Ezreal already has an innate AS steroid that is easy to build up thanks to the low mana cost and low CD on his Q. And if you're in a team fight, just hit a quick well-aimed W to get your stacks up (or a well-aimed ult?).

If you can safely get BT first, consider Sheen next cause you'll be hitting like a truck relatively quickly. It's all situational though. Remember that.

EDIT: And if you're completing a tri-force on Ez, instead of the Iceborn gauntlet (using the Sheen), you should consider building Zeal as your last completion item, since Phage is much more beneficial.
So your saying i should build Triforce? I thought it didn't add enough for the price because ezreal's q scales a lot better with AD. and i should omit PD from my build a go LW after triforce or BT?

SilentNight102

01-20-2013

A TF is almost a mandatory item if you want to be a serious Ez player because the sheen proc and phage proc helps out a lot. It helps to build it also for some health, but most players in the pro scene build it first or second depending on the person and game. Remember that every game is different though so you may need other items before finishing it. The biggest thing with Ez is how to position yourself in every fight and never use E to jump into a fight always as an escape or to re-position yourself.

Shallow Cubes

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype98 View Post
So your saying i should build Triforce? I thought it didn't add enough for the price because ezreal's q scales a lot better with AD. and i should omit PD from my build a go LW after triforce or BT?
Since his Q adds on-hit effects, having a Sheen (or pretty much any item that builds out of it) is beneficial for him, since the Spellblade passive is applied when the Q hits.

You're effectively adding his AD to his Q at least twice when Spellblade procs, since his Q naturally adds his AD already. You just emphasize more poke, which is already his specialty.

AdgharKH

01-20-2013

I've heard lots of good things about Iceborn Gauntlet as an alternative to Triforce. For 800 less gold (the value of a Vamp Scepter), you get the Sheen proc, a guaranteed slow to replace the Phage proc, a bit of AoE, and CDR, which helps your AS a bit because of Ez's passive. Also gives armor, which is underrated on carries, allowing you to live just a bit longer.

Weaknesses is that it doesn't give movespeed, direct ASPD, or crit chance, but the utility of guaranteed slow, CDR and AoE damage helps a lot. It's probably OP on Ez right now, and may be nerfed.

EDIT: IBG also gives -25% AD on Sheen proc compared to Triforce.

TheSickFlux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Standard ADC build right now is Berserker's Greaves into BT, into iceborn gauntlet to statikk shiv or PD (personal preference here), then you pick up a Last Whisper, then Warmogs, Glass cannon simply isn't an option anymore, with the domination of bruisers.
iceborn gauntlet only for ezreal btw.

BeastlyLambo

01-21-2013

It depends on your team comp and the enemy team comp. The reason why Ezreal is one of the top picks and one of the safest pick is he has so many different build paths. For example, if you have a really strong assassin on your team like kha, zed or talon you can build iceborn gaunlet, bt for great poke and give your team utility. Eventually you will poke them down enough for your assassin to go take all of them out. If your team comp is building around protecting you then you want the traditional ie, bt, pd etc sort of build. TF ez is good and brings a lot of utility but the damage can fall off somewhat late game. Ezreal is different than most adc because he is strong early and mid game but his damage is somewhat lackluster late game compared to hyper carries like vayne or kog. Hope this helps