Main Champions Recommended for Ranked??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rouge567

01-20-2013

I really want to start playing some ranked soon, but I am really bad at jungling, can only support oh so well, have a few adcs but I don't have a rune page for AD, so I'm not sure whether to try playing adc in draft or not to practice, but do really well (most of the time) in the two solo lanes.
I only have certain champions so recommendations are appreciated. I really do not know what champions to get for what roles.
Note: I prefer AP champions as I don't have any ad runes except for my "Hybrid" page

Nidalee
Cho'Gath (Who I'm not very good with)

Mid
Anivia
Akali
Annie (Can't play very well)
Teemo (Can't play very well)
Ahri (If I can farm up enough money)

Jungle
(Can't Jungle but..)
Sejuani

Support
Nidalee (Do okay with)
Sona (ULT FAIL)
Janna (ULT FAIL)
Soraka (So-So)
Kayle (Not too good with ult or heal)

ADC
Tristana (So-So)
Ashe (Global ults hate me)
Sivir (Spell-Shield Fail)

Any recommendations??

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

Top: Become proficient with Cho'gath, learn to play Teemo and Akali there as well. That'll give you four champs, which isn't good, but it'll do.

Mid: Don't play Annie in ranked(unless you're very good with her and have a solid reason for that pick). Likewise with Teemo - while he technically can mid, there are many better options. Pick up another sit back and farm champ like Anivia - maybe Lux or Karthus - another assassin like Akali - Kassadin, Katarina, Fizz - and a couple tankier champs like Ryze or Galio. You can also try Cho mid in some situations.

Jungle: Learn to ****ing jungle before you play ranked. Sej is not an ideal pick, but she's a starting point. On your roster, Cho'gath can jungle well. Try to pick up a few others, like Nunu, Maokai, and Nocturne to play supporting, tanky, and assassin roles, as well as covering AD and AP as necessary.

Support: Learn to use Sona and Janna's ults. Soraka is decent, Nidalee's decent, Kayle is not a support(she can play there, but usually with a specific strategy in mind, not as a random "oh **** I have to support this game" pick). Blitzcrank, Alistar, Taric, and Nunu are all good picks here.

ADC: Learn to use global ults and your spell shield. Pick up a few additional AD carries to expand your roster. Most of these are expensive, but you can grab Twitch and Urgot(both situational picks) for 3150 if memory serves. Pick up at least one of the Trinity(Ez, Corki, Graves) and one of the Hypercarries(Vayne, Kog) as well, if you have the IP to spare.

For any champ you take to ranked, be sure you've played at least a couple normals with them, so you have a feel for their abilities and itemizations.

Do not go into ranked unprepared, because your team will hate you and your opponents will crush you.

Etherimp

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge567 View Post
I really want to start playing some ranked soon, but I am really bad at jungling, can only support oh so well, have a few adcs but I don't have a rune page for AD, so I'm not sure whether to try playing adc in draft or not to practice, but do really well (most of the time) in the two solo lanes.
I only have certain champions so recommendations are appreciated. I really do not know what champions to get for what roles.
Note: I prefer AP champions as I don't have any ad runes except for my "Hybrid" page

Nidalee
Cho'Gath (Who I'm not very good with)

Mid
Anivia
Akali
Annie (Can't play very well)
Teemo (Can't play very well)
Ahri (If I can farm up enough money)

Jungle
(Can't Jungle but..)
Sejuani

Support
Nidalee (Do okay with)
Sona (ULT FAIL)
Janna (ULT FAIL)
Soraka (So-So)
Kayle (Not too good with ult or heal)

ADC
Tristana (So-So)
Ashe (Global ults hate me)
Sivir (Spell-Shield Fail)

Any recommendations??

Top: Pick up Yorick. With Yorick, Cho'gath, Nidalee, and Teemo you have 4 very strong counter picks for top lane.

Mid: Get Galio. Between Galio and Anivia you should never need another mid pick. Neither of them are played often by others, and both of them have excellent kits. If you can proficiently play Akali and Ahri on top of those 2, you're in good shape. May want to consider Mordekaiser, too, for those instances where your team has plenty of CC and you want a late-game hyper-carry.

Jungle: Learn to Jungle before playing ranked. http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-li...er-list-vi-era Go here and pick out a few Tier 1 or Tier 2 junglers and start playing them in normal draft games.

Support: Pick up Taric and Alistar, and possibly Leona. Soraka, Jana, and Sona are all very good but they are a different breed. Taric goes really well with a lot of common AD carries and Alistar and Leona are just monsters if played properly. Taric is cheap, and Alistar is free. No reason not to have them.

ADC: Pick up 2 of the following: Caitlyn ,Vayne, Ezreal, Graves. Vayne is a monster late game. Caitlyn is an incredible lane bully. Ezreal is probably the #1 ADC right now and can carry his team better than any other ADC. Graves is an all around solid pick. Only pick Sivir when counter picking a comp like Caitlyn/Taric. Ashe is not good for Solo-queue because of how dependent upon her team she is.

Rouge567

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
ADC: Pick up 2 of the following: Caitlyn ,Vayne, Ezreal, Graves. Vayne is a monster late game. Caitlyn is an incredible lane bully. Ezreal is probably the #1 ADC right now and can carry his team better than any other ADC. Graves is an all around solid pick. Only pick Sivir when counter picking a comp like Caitlyn/Taric. Ashe is not good for Solo-queue because of how dependent upon her team she is.
I've tried Ezreal before and I think he's a really good champ except he's really expensive, and It's hard enough trying to farm IP for cheap champions.
Caitlyn I would like to get though, and I may try Graves. Vayne's skill set just isn't something I'm good with though.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

Did you catch the main point of our posts, though? Expand your rosters, reorganize them according to the meta, and be good at all of them.

This will take a long time, but just because you're 30 doesn't mean you have to play ranked. I made the mistake of starting ranked as soon as I hit 30, and dropped all the way down to 750. Since then, I've been playing normals almost exclusively, and I'm getting better. I certainly have the tangible assets I'd recommend to anyone before playing ranked(17 rune pages, 20 mastery pages, 45+ champions), but my actual experience isn't quite where I want it yet, and my actual skill is severely lacking, so I stick with normals despite being a thousand games past 30.

In any case, you should certainly fix any gaping flaws, like not being able to jungle, and not being effective with critical abilities of certain champions, before you take your game to ranked.

Rouge567

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Top: Become proficient with Cho'gath, learn to play Teemo and Akali there as well. That'll give you four champs, which isn't good, but it'll do.
Thanks for the tip. I will certainly try Cho'Gath more.

Quote:
Mid: Don't play Annie in ranked(unless you're very good with her and have a solid reason for that pick). Likewise with Teemo - while he technically can mid, there are many better options. Pick up another sit back and farm champ like Anivia - maybe Lux or Karthus - another assassin like Akali - Kassadin, Katarina, Fizz - and a couple tankier champs like Ryze or Galio. You can also try Cho mid in some situations.
I think I'll try for Lux and Ryze

Quote:
Jungle: Learn to ****ing jungle before you play ranked. Sej is not an ideal pick, but she's a starting point. On your roster, Cho'gath can jungle well. Try to pick up a few others, like Nunu, Maokai, and Nocturne to play supporting, tanky, and assassin roles, as well as covering AD and AP as necessary.
Can you give any tips about ganking.etc?

Quote:
Support: Learn to use Sona and Janna's ults. Soraka is decent, Nidalee's decent, Kayle is not a support(she can play there, but usually with a specific strategy in mind, not as a random "oh **** I have to support this game" pick). Blitzcrank, Alistar, Taric, and Nunu are all good picks here.
I think I may get Nunu for that role. Sona's ult I utterly failed at when trying to save my adc and Janna while I don't do too bad with, I constantly make mistakes like pushing enemies away from my teammates when they are about dead.

Quote:
ADC: Learn to use global ults and your spell shield. Pick up a few additional AD carries to expand your roster. Most of these are expensive, but you can grab Twitch and Urgot(both situational picks) for 3150 if memory serves. Pick up at least one of the Trinity(Ez, Corki, Graves) and one of the Hypercarries(Vayne, Kog) as well, if you have the IP to spare.
Ashe's ult is hard to use imo though Ezreal/Gangplank's aren't as hard, I think I'll practice Ashe

Sereg Anfaug

01-20-2013

Ez and Ashe are similar, as they both have to be aimed from a distance. GP's is easier, you just have to drop it where you want it. I've seen pros miss Ez and Ashe ults, so don't feel too bad when you miss one - but you should work on your accuracy with them to the point where you're hitting at least half the time.

As for using Ults right, Nunu isn't going to be any easier - his ultimate also relies on good positioning and knowing when to use it and when to hold on to it. You just have to play those champions more often and get a feel for it.

For jungling, the basic idea is to apply pressure to the lanes, not necessarily to get kills. If you can burn summoner spells or ultimates without using your own, you've successfully ganked. Even if you don't burn any of those, you've taken pressure off your laner for the time being. Try to target lanes that are pushed towards you, and ping beforehand so your laners know you're coming.

Again, this is something that comes with practice - it's not going to be easy at first. Hell, I main jungle, and even I make mistakes sometimes, or find myself on the opposite side of the map from where I'd be most effective.

The best way to learn is to just do it, but you can prepare by watching streamers, featured high elo spectator matches, and professional tournaments, and paying special attention to whatever role you're trying to improve.

Etherimp

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge567 View Post
Can you give any tips about ganking.etc?

A common misconception among less experienced players is that the jungler should be either ganking or farming, and most emphasis is placed on ganking... Here's the first mistake many new junglers make..

1. If you farm too little, your ganks are weak and you quickly get behind in gold...which makes your ganks weaker, which snowballs in a bad direction.

2. If you farm too much, the enemy jungler can have his way with your lanes while you're passively farming.. If he picks up a few kills AND farms his jungle, while you ONLY farm your jungle, then he's going to be ahead.

The best way (imo) to view jungling is as though it's another lane.. Your job is to beat the enemy jungler. This can be done in many ways.

1. Deny him his farm by counter jungling.
2. Deny him his ganks by counter-ganking.
3. Get your lanes more fed than he got his by getting them ganks.
4. Get yourself more fed than he is, so you can contribute more than he does to ganks/teamfights.

The only way you are going to be able to do these things is if you have a strong grasp on the routes and habits of enemy junglers and if you have confidence in your own jungling. The only way to get these things is through experience.

For example.. You need to know where ALL junglers USUALLY start and WHEN they will usually try to start ganking. You need to know how to scout out their positions.. You need to know how strong you are vs them in a 1v1 fight. You need to know how strong of a counter-jungler they are and how likely it is you will find them invading you. You need to know what kind of tools they bring to the table and how to best nullify their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. This all comes through experience.

My point is.. The sum total of jungling is not "Farm jungle then gank after clear."

Jungling is essentially a 4th, more complex and complicated lane. Becoming a better jungler will make you an overall better player because it will give you insight into every other lane in a much more intimate way than you currently comprehend.

Síon

01-21-2013

Quote:

For any champ you take to ranked, be sure you've played at least a couple normals with them, so you have a feel for their abilities and itemizations.

Do not go into ranked unprepared, because your team will hate you and your opponents will crush you.
First and foremost, your not even ranked son. Secondly. Everything you said is borderline incorrect. Thirdly. Do not say specific champions are bad just because the kids in your scrub tier elo cannot pull them off.

Síon

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
A common misconception among less experienced players is that the jungler should be either ganking or farming, and most emphasis is placed on ganking... Here's the first mistake many new junglers make..

1. If you farm too little, your ganks are weak and you quickly get behind in gold...which makes your ganks weaker, which snowballs in a bad direction.

2. If you farm too much, the enemy jungler can have his way with your lanes while you're passively farming.. If he picks up a few kills AND farms his jungle, while you ONLY farm your jungle, then he's going to be ahead.

The best way (imo) to view jungling is as though it's another lane.. Your job is to beat the enemy jungler. This can be done in many ways.

1. Deny him his farm by counter jungling.
2. Deny him his ganks by counter-ganking.
3. Get your lanes more fed than he got his by getting them ganks.
4. Get yourself more fed than he is, so you can contribute more than he does to ganks/teamfights.

The only way you are going to be able to do these things is if you have a strong grasp on the routes and habits of enemy junglers and if you have confidence in your own jungling. The only way to get these things is through experience.

For example.. You need to know where ALL junglers USUALLY start and WHEN they will usually try to start ganking. You need to know how to scout out their positions.. You need to know how strong you are vs them in a 1v1 fight. You need to know how strong of a counter-jungler they are and how likely it is you will find them invading you. You need to know what kind of tools they bring to the table and how to best nullify their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. This all comes through experience.

My point is.. The sum total of jungling is not "Farm jungle then gank after clear."

Jungling is essentially a 4th, more complex and complicated lane. Becoming a better jungler will make you an overall better player because it will give you insight into every other lane in a much more intimate way than you currently comprehend.
Anddd you make it sound too complicated. You clear the jungle. You gank when everythings dead. You gank when there are opportune moments. You gank when you camp to annoy someone. Junglers that only farm are subpar or borderline useless. Junglers that lean toward the ganking side are much more common and accepted. Junglers will always have less money than all 3 carries on your team andmore than your support. To make up for this they can gank all 3 lanes. If you fall behind its not because you didnt farm enough. Its because you cannot farm enough. You gatta gank mayne.