Proof Solo Queue Ranking/ELO is Meaningless

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HongWeiLo

02-01-2013

Wins versus losses isn't exactly an accurate representation of performance, either. Communicating solely through pings also isn't always appropriate.

I used to think that I should destroy the tower immediately when I'm shutting down the lane. That's not always true. Then I thought, if I was shutting down the lane, I should NOT destroy the tower because that would mean they would be able to farm better. NOW, I think it just depends on the situation. Sometimes its better to push top forward and leave the lane to gank immediately when the opponent leaves. Sometimes its better to gank mid on your way back to your lane. Sometimes its better to GANK BOTTOM and LOSE TOP despite the fact you were winning your lane.

League of Legends has a friendly curve for new players, but it also has a steep curve for veteran players. Every time I think I'm good someone stomps on my face by just playing better. I've met enough players to know that it's much more complicated than seeing things from a one size fits all perspective.

All Wheel Drive

02-01-2013

What if, instead of using, just the Dominion points style, why don't we combine it with elo gain. For example, placing wards, having good K - D - A ratios will give you points, which determine how much elo you get or lose. For example if you did really well, warded a lot, and helped out the team, but still lost, instead of losing 12 - 14 elo, you lose 6 - 10, based on how many points you have by the end of the game.

SpAceWaffLeS

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL80 View Post
The discrepancy between good and bad is so trivial in this game it's actually laughable. People define "good" as playing in a linear, traditional fashion ("0 cs" supports that buys revere and wards all game, adc champs that literally have carbon copy builds), and "bad" as anything that diverges from the norm. I'm considered a "bad support" by peoples linear interpretation of the role, but interestingly enough I have more assists in one champ than many others do with a single champ in their roster. (literally over 2k with ori alone).
No, people do not define good and bad by building correct items or not.
The way you describes that leads me to believe you are sub-1200 ELO, if even ranked at all.

Being good or bad has **** to do with knowing what to build when and how, that is easy stuff, even people who only play normals, or not even level 30 will build correct items. Some people will try new stuff which may be good or bad.

A good support knows where and when to pink, knows how to poke and exhaust, knows how to keep bush control away from their support, knows how to peel for their ADC, knows when to all in, and when to disengage, etc etc.

A good ADC knows how to position in a team fight, cs, etc. A good ADC knows that when olaf is diving on top of you, you shoot him, you don't dive into their team and try to kill their ADC because he is "squishy".. etc.

Mathgrind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Why is no one questioning the veracity of the OP's claim? OP didn't even provide screen shots or summoner names as evidence. I strongly suspect he is talking out of his ass. A 1500 elo player will wreck face at 1000 elo.

BlGFISH

02-01-2013

If anyone thinks an 800 is as good as a 1500 or a 1200 team can beat a 2k team is sadly mistaken.

If someone who is 1200 thinks they belong in 2k are wrong. Anyone in 2k can take a 1200 account and get it above 1900. TheRainMan has done it on 3 smurfs. Chaox has a couple as well he has taken up easily.

The mechanics are very different the more you climb.
- People know how to last hit better
- People know how to take objectives
- People know how to team fight better
- People know how to ward better
- They just do everything progressively better

BigL80

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRyzeForNidalee View Post
There is no way a 1500 player shouldn't stomp the **** out of 900 players. OP either got incredibly unlucky in his 40 game sample or he was trolling his teams somehow in the 900 Elo games.
How do you figure? LoL isn't a real game where there's a gap in skill. That would imply it even takes skill (which it does not in any way). LoL is structured in a way that everyone starts off on the exact same playing field no matter when you actually join. The only thing that really determines who wins is what champs are picked. This game isn't balanced in any way so certain champs have significant advantages over others.

Basiateher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlGFISH View Post
If anyone thinks an 800 is as good as a 1500 or a 1200 team can beat a 2k team is sadly mistaken.

If someone who is 1200 thinks they belong in 2k are wrong. Anyone in 2k can take a 1200 account and get it above 1900. TheRainMan has done it on 3 smurfs. Chaox has a couple as well he has taken up easily.

The mechanics are very different the more you climb.
- People know how to last hit better
- People know how to take objectives
- People know how to team fight better
- People know how to ward better
- They just do everything progressively better
I agree, I've seen smurfs go like 22 wins /2 losses etc from 1200 to 1900 etc...

IRyzeForNidalee

02-01-2013

Quote:
How do you figure? LoL isn't a real game where there's a gap in skill. That would imply it even takes skill (which it does not in any way). LoL is structured in a way that everyone starts off on the exact same playing field no matter when you actually join. The only thing that really determines who wins is what champs are picked. This game isn't balanced in any way so certain champs have significant advantages over others.
If you say so...

P.S.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1826210

BlGFISH

02-01-2013

Quote:
Really nice umm ranking?
Nice stats too 4.9/9/12.3
1.91 KDA lol

Die less get more elo.
Can't blame team for your deaths

That clarity Orianna OP.

VVL Ebah

02-01-2013

Here's proof
Reginald was ~1750elo in s2, hes a prfoessional and earns a ton of money from tournaments
Inverted Composer ~2300 elo, no trounaments entered

edit: Me and my friends average 1.3k elo and play ESL every so often and get paired against average 2.2k elo teams. We don't always lose. WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA