Do me a favor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Master Spamwise

01-19-2013

When someone leaves/afk's on either side of a Dominion game, don't give me a f'ing "GG WP" at the end.

4v5 is NEVER a good game in Dominion. Ever. Saying "GG" when the other team got steamrollered through no fault of their own is simply announcing to the world, "Hey, I'm a ******bag!"

If you want to honor a team for trying to put up with the miserable ****er who ruined their game, that's one thing.

But don't be a dick.

Don't say it was a good game, when it wasn't.

NavyGothic

01-19-2013

Or you could just accept that "gg" has evolved into a generic politeness at the end of a match. It's like shaking hands at the end of a tennis match or whatever.

If someone gloating over an unfair win, sure, they're a dick. "gg" does not imply this.

MajorUrsa

01-19-2013

If Manchester United beats a team 6-0 they still shake hands and say good match. Its about good sportsmanship, politeness; things you apparently lack.

The Fizznity

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorUrsa View Post
If Manchester United beats a team 6-0 they still shake hands and say good match. Its about good sportsmanship, politeness; things you apparently lack.
But here's the thing: it isn't a good match. It seems dumb to pretend it is for the sake of appearance, and wouldn't hurt for a few more people to acknowledge "yeah, that sucked, and we wish it could be better. Sorry!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGothic View Post
Or you could just accept that "gg" has evolved into a generic politeness at the end of a match. It's like shaking hands at the end of a tennis match or whatever.
How is it polite to use an acronym which expands to "good game", ignoring the extenuating circumstances in which the match took place?

NavyGothic

01-19-2013

Because "gg" does not literally mean "that was a good game" anymore.

You know where shaking hands originated as a custom? It was to show that you weren't carrying a weapon. When I shake hands with someone before a meeting, does it mean I'm worried I might get shanked? Of course not; the meaning of a handshake has changed over time, and so has "gg". It's simply showing polite respect for your opponent.

For the record, I'll usually say something along the lines of "gg, sorry about your afk". It's a common courtesy.

Edit: I mean heck, even between games it has slightly different meanings. In SC it's a polite admission of defeat; it's extremely arrogant for the winner to say "gg" first, regardless of the quality of the game. In LoL that connotation doesn't exist; either team can say "gg" as the game ends. Or, it can mean "we're ****ed" if used in that context..

bierfaust

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorUrsa View Post
This is 100% true. I think now a days, thanks to the tribunal and people being soft, people tend to take offense at everything.

It has come far from the days of starcraft and warcraft where gg at the end regardless of the outcome or how the match actually went was a formality of respect.

Now people simply take "gg" as a condescending or smart arse insult. (granted some people do mean it that way, but most don't - I think given LOL's context and mass appeal that is why people get butt hurt so much)

Even at a social level, every person that plays a sport knows that the teams shake hands at the end of the match out of respect for each other and the sport itself. Even if you lost badly and you hate the other team on a personal level, you still shake their hand. It is extremely rare that players don't shake hands, and is usually because said players got into a punch up during the match and they don't want to set things off again.

MyDeadGrandma

01-19-2013

I played soccer in primary school. Both teams always spat on our hands before shaking at the end.

I don't know where I'm going with this

Camen Sieder

01-19-2013

if I'm on the team with 4 people I say GG even though we all know it was a boring snooze fest!

MajorUrsa

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
I played soccer in primary school. Both teams always spat on our hands before shaking at the end.

I don't know where I'm going with this
The idea being I hope we can all take from this, is that most of us, should no longer be in primary school (I can't speak for OP).

SuperQuackDuck

01-19-2013

If i rolled the opponents because of an afk i dont say gg i say "sorry about __insertchamp___ ". If they manage to win a 4v5 then i say ggwp