[Guide] The unkillable turtle Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nolndi

12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanBean View Post
It is too bad that you dont like to play rammus as an initiator because he does it so well. As for being snared/slowed alot, I find myself buying mercury boots more often than I buy the ninja tabi.

You wont be able to "drag one away" in these fights. Most of the time it goes something like this: You and 1 or 2 on your team is moving towards another lane where 2-3 opponents are trying to push a tower. You powerball first in from the side/behind and hopefully manage to hit at least 2 of them. Pop your ult, taunt the squishy one and activate curl if you have it. Ideally you will take their nukes/stuns/fears after you get your stuff off while your team mates should be right behind you and clean up the mess. If you are low, just back off to the tower/bushes right after your taunt and use your flash/heal/haste if needed.

Sickenjal:
The fact that you think stacking sunfires is better simply means you have not tried this build and also makes your opinion void in my opinion. If you need to rely on curl to live in the early game means you are doing something wrong.

Kinnetik:
Thank god there is another powerball rammus here. I thought I was the only one for a sec.
I'm not saying that he is a poor initiator, hes terrific i just don't often have the luxury of a carry or two who will follow me while I'm powerballing in. and the taunt thing only works should your entire team crash in and get the target that is taunted down before he can be saved or before the opposing team can kill you as rammus.

Thats where i like curl, the armor and resist helps keep you up through everything and it returns a fair amount of damage id say the return on damage from defensive ball curl could be higher then that of powerball. while with powerball initiation you're trying to focus damage on one target.

I have tried this build out in a game and i personally don't like getting max powerball before I get at least 2 levels in curl simply for the ability to stay up longer and give myself a better chance of exiting the fight alive while its debatable when i would get said second rank of curl. Should the other team be high on damage i might get it before rank 4 powerball but definately before rank 5 powerball.

another thing i noticed is that with the team i tried this with i was having a lot of trouble getting levels. Granted I died quite a bit since we would get ready for a team fight id initiate and a few of the people on the team wouldn't go in, but I digress. Is there any particular mastery set up or team composition that would be best for a powerball rammus initiator?

As for the sunfire drape thing, that didnt particularly appeal to me in fights either when i tried it. mostly because you cant snare an entire team like amumu, and the damage stacking sunfire drapes does is directly related to the number of people around you.

MeanBean

12-01-2009

I have to say I agree with you. In this particular example you are probably correct in the fact that curl would do more damage to them as a whole as well as making you harder to kill. It is just that this ganking phase usually starts around level 6~7 and goes on till around 11 where the team as a whole should consider running around together ganking and taking out towers. However, I find curl to be too passive in the early laning before I start ganking and I dont want to completely neglect taunt either. So I always end up with a powerball/taunt build instead.

McComb

12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanBean View Post

Sickenjal:
The fact that you think stacking sunfires is better simply means you have not tried this build and also makes your opinion void in my opinion. If you need to rely on curl to live in the early game means you are doing something wrong.
I've tried this build long ago.I was like level 8.
And I don't need to curl to live on early it simply offer me more possibility.
If you need taunt to gank early game then you're the one who must be doing something wrong because I do fine with just power ball.
And Power/taunt Rammus is not an initiator this a just a lame trick to pull a solo laner.
FoN is useless on rammus since he has an inhate ability to tank and hp regen is probably the last thing Rammus need.FoN is usualy a situational item if the enemy team has massive dot in most situation there's much better choice of tanky item.
Anyway this build is newbish you underestimate curl.
You'll figure it out when you'll reach a higher level of play.

evetsx17

12-02-2009

As far as items I think its very subjective as to who you are playing against. Obviously as the biggest tank in the champion selection, the name of the game is hp, armor, and magic resist but there's a long list of items that match that descrption to choose from. The ones you pick should be relevant to the enemies team composition.

If you're playing against a DPS team that is mostly glass cannons like corki, yi, TF then consider a thornmail which returns 20% of damage recieved as magic damage dealt. If you're playing against an AP team of nuking casters like ryze, annie, veigar then consider a force of nature which gives you strong magic resist.

A philosopher's stone would be appropriate if you expect to be laning against an extra annoying harasser early game for awhile and you need the health regen and the mana regen to powerball creep kills -- along with a heart of gold to supplement your gold income. But it would be less appropriate when you're laning against say a soloing master yi with a sivir in your lane meaning the tower's going to get knocked fast and you're going to be going straight into mid-game mode.

In short, there should be no cookie cutter build for rammus. Learn what his common items are and research what they do so you can better decide on what is most appropriate on a case by case basis.

MeanBean

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickenjal View Post
My elo ranking in november had me ranked at 169th in europe. Needless to say, Im level 30 and I suggest you try this build when you reach a higher level.

evetsx17:
That is correct. What I did was post one build. People should not consider it cookie cutter and rather adapt. Theres a reason why I didnt complete the item build for late-game. Im just saying that this build has worked very well for me in the higher brackets on europe.

Kinnetik

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickenjal View Post
And I don't need to curl to live on early it simply offer me more possibility.
If you need taunt to gank early game then you're the one who must be doing something wrong because I do fine with just power ball.
And Power/taunt Rammus is not an initiator this a just a lame trick to pull a solo laner.
FoN is useless on rammus since he has an inhate ability to tank and hp regen is probably the last thing Rammus need.FoN is usualy a situational item if the enemy team has massive dot in most situation there's much better choice of tanky item.
Anyway this build is newbish you underestimate curl.
Calling Force of Nature and/or HP Regen useless is foolish. Underestimating the HP Regen on Force of Nature combined with Wardens (always a good item) is a mistake. Also don't forget 8% movespeed on Force of Nature gives you Boot 3 speed when combined with Merc. Treads.

Tanking requires 3 things: Mitigation (Armor & Magic Resist), Base Health (HP), & Regen. Not balancing all 3 of these leads to poor tanking.

Yes large amounts of HP and Mitigation will let you win a single fight ONLY if it's short duration. Extended back and forth fights and longer duration battles the HP regen is crucial.

What good does your Rammus do if after a fight you're at 20% health and are too scared to push up, or have to blue pill afterward?

Remember that not all fights are *completely* won or lost. Sometimes you can move in, tank for a bit while your mates kill/threaten the enemies, and move out. WIth regen, you can be at full effectiveness in between these moments.

Sometimes you have to domino the team (especially smart ones), Regen is crucial in these moments.

sick4paradise

12-02-2009

I'm fairly new to the game, so I don't have any meta-gaming nonsense to contribute like everyone else. I just wanted to say that your guide is well written and has inspired me to play Rammus as my main. Additionally, I wanted to say that you write English very well.

MeanBean

12-07-2009

Would like to add that Ive been having more success adding an aegis before the force of nature. Also, against teams with 2 or more casters I have started skipping the philostone and simply do chalice instead. Works out better for me it seems.

ColdBlooded

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2009

aegis is still good post-nerf. I'll have to try out FoN sometime when i'm facing a caster-heavy team.

Also worthy of summoner spell mention is cleanse. fortify is very situational. only real boneheads get caught next to a tower with a non-low hp rammus nearby... but when they are caught, its glorious. I like ghost for chasing or heal if no one else has it.