[Guide] The unkillable turtle Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeanBean

12-01-2009

I really appreciate your comments. Just as expected, most people has a beef with philosopher stone and it is perfectly understandable. However, it seems you are misunderstanding abit. I dont get it for the health regen, I get it for the mana regen. Is there any other more costeffective mana regen item I should've used instead? Note that I usually finish philostone within the 5 min mark without first blooding anyone. I honestly dont think there are any other early game mana regen items that delays my other items less than the philostone.

I also find it odd that the people that preaches curl in the early laning are also the ones that forsake mana regen. I will repeat that taunt/curl will not grant you any kills against good players by itself. You need actual damage and thats my argument for powerball. However, you dont activate it and run towards the opponent. You try to get a taunt off, then run past him and powerballs him backwards towards your lanemate.

So, did anyone try out force of nature yet? When I finish that item is the moment I can outlast anyone in teamfights.

iPlastic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-01-2009

The only thing I chime in, as rammus being my main the others have to is reguarding the skills. Taunt is the reason why I love rammus and why I value assists more than I ever will kills.

Taunt, Pball, Taun, Curl, Taunt, Trem...etc etc

Curl is the last skill you start after the ball is maxed out.

God I love rammus, and I am so happy you also are the advicator of..

"Say No to 2 Sunfire capes."

RamboBatman

12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanBean View Post
I will repeat that taunt/curl will not grant you any kills against good players by itself.
While this is true, you do have a lane partner and, presumably, so does your opponent. Taunt without Curl simply forces one opponent to attack you and if their partner chooses to join them there is no reprecussion. All you've done is decide to get focused on with no added defense. With Taunt/Curl you've enough defense/added magic damage that your taunt target is more likely to go down before you do. If your partner has a stun the double disable will probably lead to a kill.

Razerwind

12-01-2009

I honestly don't see the point in getting curl last. I usually go powerball, curl, taunt, and then max out powerball and curl before taunt. What the hell good are you taunting if you're taking full damage from it? Early on, even Rammus is way too squishy to take this abuse from 2 laners. If you taunt someone early game without curl, you're gonna have to blow heal and a health pot simply to stay alive. If you had a decent curl early on, the taunt will result in you taking very low damage, them taking a lot of damage, putting you in a much better position than them even if it doesn't net a kill. Rammus without a powerful curl is foreign to me.

MeanBean

12-01-2009

I think something is wrong about how you play if you have a hard time staying alive after taunting without curl. Also, you only get 1 level of taunt which makes it a complete waste of mana unless you manage to get it off on someone under a tower. You make it sound like a taunt will make them focus you when it is infact the exact opposite. Your level 1 taunt is going to make an opposing champ hit you once before he backs up. Which is a complete waste of mana, considering you would activate curl for that one hit.

No, I stand by what I said earlier. Curl is practically useless early on, because it assumes you neglect powerball over taunt. You have no burst damage and no slow in the laning and that makes you not a threat. Rammus should be played aggressively in the laning.

I really wish they would add the replay feature soon.

Razerwind

12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanBean View Post
You make it sound like a taunt will make them focus you when it is infact the exact opposite. Your level 1 taunt is going to make an opposing champ hit you once before he backs up.
Maybe it's different in your bracket, but in mine, <level 6, if you use taunt and start taking damage, you get focus fired. Both laners attack you, period. They don't freak out and back up, they go for the kill. And without curl, there's a good chance it'll happen, or at the very least get me low. I don't have a ton of experience with Rammus but I've never seen people at low levels run after they've been taunted. After level 10, sure, but definitely not before.

Kinnetik

12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razerwind View Post
Maybe it's different in your bracket, but in mine, <level 6, if you use taunt and start taking damage, you get focus fired. Both laners attack you, period. They don't freak out and back up, they go for the kill. And without curl, there's a good chance it'll happen, or at the very least get me low. I don't have a ton of experience with Rammus but I've never seen people at low levels run after they've been taunted. After level 10, sure, but definitely not before.
I think you're choosing the when & where of using Taunt wrong then.

Early game, Taunt is only effective in 1 of 2 circumstances (and only at levels 2/3).

1. To scare an enemy away from a tower. Most players with *some* knowledge of Rammus will know to respect a tower's range lest they get smoked. If they don't, they will die.

Any melee champion entering tower range early game, with or without minions, Taunt them, and drag them deeper into the tower. They will learn to stay away.

Against ranged champions, learn the max range of the tower. If they try to auto attack the tower, start moving towards them to threaten taunt. Most will move off.

2. The only other circumstance Taunt is feasable early game is if you and your lane mate can coordinate an early gank. Taunt, get around to the other side of them, and stop them from moving away. If Powerball is up, use it immediately following taunt to punt them back toward your side for slightly longer and snare. Very effective.

Why Powerball is effective early;

If you sit in the brush on a side lane, hit Q but don't move. Let it get to about halfway through it's duration, and spin right into that enemy champion. Use taunt after if necessary for more harassment and blocking.

Repeat that a couple times, use HP pots if needed, and you will surely make the enemy champs feel like they have to respect your zone control.

If no brush is available, repeat the same steps out in the open, but try to find a spot you can push around the enemy minions and spin into them from the side/back. Sometimes enemy Champions will let you *walk* around the side of their minions to start a Powerball. Most will run.

Powerball driving is a skill, and one needed to master an effective Rammus.

McComb

12-01-2009

I say sunfire cape stacking is a lot more viable than this build.
This build is not even tanky.
You may be unkillable with this build because you are ignored just doing the taunt *****.
Go RoA and you won't need chalice.Stick with philosopher wich give 5 gold.
My build is mercury tread,philo,Roa,Sf cape,banshee sometime a Hog if I feel it will be a long game.
tanky and not ignorable.

And I don't like how you neglect defensive curl.You should at least spend 1 point in every abilities.
Maxing taunt, power ball kill initiator rammus by being a taunt suicide *****.
Taunt trick is old and overrated easily dodgable by doing a right click when Rammus comes to pull you.

Nolndi

12-01-2009

I'd have to agree with Sickenjal, personally i don't like playing initiator taunt rammus. Because it really is suicide against any good team and unless your team is really on top of it they wont necessarily get a kill out of it if you cant drag anyone away with your taunt for them to focus first. Assuming thats what your plan is with powerball taunt initiation. The banshee's veil is a way to counter being immobilized so that you can get away but i don't powerball/taunt initiation is wholly viable.

MeanBean

12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolndi View Post
I'd have to agree with Sickenjal, personally i don't like playing initiator taunt rammus. Because it really is suicide against any good team and unless your team is really on top of it they wont necessarily get a kill out of it if you cant drag anyone away with your taunt for them to focus first. Assuming thats what your plan is with powerball taunt initiation. The banshee's veil is a way to counter being immobilized so that you can get away but i don't powerball/taunt initiation is wholly viable.
It is too bad that you dont like to play rammus as an initiator because he does it so well. As for being snared/slowed alot, I find myself buying mercury boots more often than I buy the ninja tabi.

You wont be able to "drag one away" in these fights. Most of the time it goes something like this: You and 1 or 2 on your team is moving towards another lane where 2-3 opponents are trying to push a tower. You powerball first in from the side/behind and hopefully manage to hit at least 2 of them. Pop your ult, taunt the squishy one and activate curl if you have it. Ideally you will take their nukes/stuns/fears after you get your stuff off while your team mates should be right behind you and clean up the mess. If you are low, just back off to the tower/bushes right after your taunt and use your flash/heal/haste if needed.

Sickenjal:
The fact that you think stacking sunfires is better simply means you have not tried this build and also makes your opinion void in my opinion. If you need to rely on curl to live in the early game means you are doing something wrong.

Kinnetik:
Thank god there is another powerball rammus here. I thought I was the only one for a sec.