Hey guys! Thresh's Lore has the reason he joined the League in it!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morec0

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axinhed View Post
Here's something from the Journal of Justice:

Almost all of the champions have already been pushed to the brink before coming to the League and survived the trauma (others like Veigar have already gone over and still bear the strength to destroy others). Then there are the others who don't have the capacity to be broken (Orianna, void creatures. Shaco... ) or are beyond breaking (Xerath, Brand, Nocturne...). Thresh'll have a hard time doing his job.
Indeed, but the reward will be all the sweeter when he does. Remember, these are the only people that could possibly stand against an invasion; if Thresh breaks even a small number of them it might just be game over.

Axinhed

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
Indeed, but the reward will be all the sweeter when he does. Remember, these are the only people that could possibly stand against an invasion; if Thresh breaks even a small number of them it might just be game over.
Again, what makes him more special than the other dark champions already in the league, who wield powers just as terrible as his? What does he bring that can actually break their spirits, when the champions have endured so much and still live normally and go about their lives as seen in the JoJ?

Thresh has too much competition to begin with. Whose to say Thresh himself won't suffer at the hands of others such as Malzahar, Veigar or Fiddlesticks, or outwitten by the cunning of LeBlanc or Swain?

Xulsigae

01-24-2013

He's perhaps more sadistic than most, but that doesn't grant him extra powers.

Impeccablize

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarax88 View Post
Yeah, that's what I like about his lore. It actually does explain why he's in the League.

Well, it said he wants to break the spirits and sanity of Runeterra's strongest warriors, not exactly kill them permanently.
Aha, I see it. Thresh gets to torture the champions over and over again without permenantly killing them. Also, he can't permenantly die either. This ensures more eminent sucess in breaking the souls/ capturing them.

And then once he has broken the most resilient warriors in Runeterra, he can either A.) use this as a show of display to bring the world to his knees, therefore crushing every soul and using the souls to gain immortality, or B.) use the champions' combined life force from the core of his lantern to destroy the League or Legends and take rule of the world.

Helmight

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
So ... why did he join the League?

I understand the element regarding his interest in strong souls, but what does he gain from submitting to the League and why on Earth would he think to do so anyway? Why does he need to take to the Fields of Justice to break the spirits of its members?

Beyond that: Why would the Institute want to admit him to the League if they thought such a thing was possible?

So ... why not haunt them away from the League and the supervision of Valoran's pre-eminent mages?
Why would a ghost see fit to submit to someone else's rules and regulations, rather than simply taking souls as he pleased on his own terms?
I figure Thresh would have originally joined the League without really knowing that he doesn't get to KEEP the souls he's harvested. Only after his first match or so does he realize what's going on and by then he can't back out. But there is another reason for him to stay there - it gives him an opportunity to become familiar with Runeterra's strongest warriors on the battlefield. By fighting with them and against them, he learns about their strengths and weaknesses and perhaps even their fears. I figure his participation in the League is like a psychopathic killer stalking his target beforehand: he learns all about them, down the details, can compile lists of everyone he's going to kill, and once he feels ready, can go off on a soul-harvesting spree outside of the League.

S'just my opinion of it though. I'm sure there're other equally valid opinions floating about.