Hey guys! Thresh's Lore has the reason he joined the League in it!

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

01-21-2013

I wouldn't mind as much, but lately there hasn't been much progression in the lore. Thresh comes in looking for fresh people to torture and..........nothing more happens. Does he get to torture people outside of the League? Does he capture Amumu and try to drive him insane? What does the League think of his torturing? Do they just let anyone join these days, even if you are feeding people to a spider or torturing them?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lionant

Member

01-21-2013

IMO either the champs from the Shadow Isles are joining the League to try to find weaknesses to exploit for some later attack, or they're being captured by the League so they can't kill/torture more people, like Brand. Who knows - maybe Thresh is in the League because he DID try to attack a champion outside the League, and the champion escaped and alerted the summoners. In any case, Thresh probably wouldn't mind a chance to torture the souls of the biggest and baddest.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NovusLion

Junior Member

01-21-2013

And really until we know more about the desires of the Shadow Isles we can't make assumptions so readily. We do know they have hidden agendas and serve a higher purpose. They are all devious and labyrinthine in their motives.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axinhed

Senior Member

01-22-2013

He has a reason to join, a step in the right direction for the storytelling, but the reasons itself are shaky and flimsy at least.

He joins to steal souls away to the Shadow Isles:
That'll be hard considering that the League won't let him do that out the Fields. Doing it in the Fields won't amount to anything.

He wants to break the sanity and spirit of the champions
Somewhat more sensible than the previous, but not by much. A champion has to endure being shot, burned, devoured by sharks/trolls/void creatures, cut, incinerated, mauled, blown up, poisoned, subject to fear/nightmares/visions of their demise, turned to stone, hit by infected cleavers, decapitated etc... every time they're summoned.
And that was before Thresh came out. What's a guy with a chain and spooky powers got that makes all the others previously mentioned lesser in comparison?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Birdy51

Senior Member

01-22-2013

The end problem with all characters is that their stories don't progress as they have in the past, preventing us to see what they are doing once they are in the League.

In this way, all lore is well... Not in a good state. It prevents us from fully understanding how characters act outside the League. Thresh falls under that category. I suppose we'll see what happens next I suppose in 2013.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiteMeGood

Senior Member

01-23-2013

Well if we had the JoJ we would had some news about it, stating how two spectral spirits was last reported at Demacia with dead bodies galore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morec0

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axinhed View Post
He has a reason to join, a step in the right direction for the storytelling, but the reasons itself are shaky and flimsy at least.

He joins to steal souls away to the Shadow Isles:
That'll be hard considering that the League won't let him do that out the Fields. Doing it in the Fields won't amount to anything.

He wants to break the sanity and spirit of the champions
Somewhat more sensible than the previous, but not by much. A champion has to endure being shot, burned, devoured by sharks/trolls/void creatures, cut, incinerated, mauled, blown up, poisoned, subject to fear/nightmares/visions of their demise, turned to stone, hit by infected cleavers, decapitated etc... every time they're summoned.
And that was before Thresh came out. What's a guy with a chain and spooky powers got that makes all the others previously mentioned lesser in comparison?
But that must make it ALL the easier! They're like Kenny from South Park, remembering everything that happened to them and having it happen over and over. It's a miracle of willpower that they haven't gone mad yet, but how close do the edge do you think they must be after all of that?

Plus I feel there is an element of nightmarishness to him (similar to Nocturne, take that as you will) that is no present in his gameplay (gameplay-story segregation). I like to think of him like League's version of The Rake, driving people insane through some means before finally tearing them apart (this time to get to their souls). If anything, it's good concepts for Riot's writers or, at least, the people at the fan fiction board.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axinhed

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
But that must make it ALL the easier! They're like Kenny from South Park, remembering everything that happened to them and having it happen over and over. It's a miracle of willpower that they haven't gone mad yet, but how close do the edge do you think they must be after all of that?
Here's something from the Journal of Justice:

Quote:
Do the champions of the League receive any sort of psychological shielding from the torments they suffer when on the Fields of Justice? Dying over and over seems rough enough, but the abilities of some champions in particular ( Malzahar, Fiddlesticks, Karthus) seem like they would create lasting mental trauma. I doubt that a Demacian or a Noxian would admit weakness by applying for counseling, but are such services provided to them? Tempus Hustle

Most services are made available to champions. They can usually afford the finest luxuries with what is provided by the League, but psychological trauma is actually less common than you might suspect. Champions are subjected to Judgments which test their mental fortitude before they are admitted to the League, and many have overcome extraordinarily difficult trials in their pasts.
Almost all of the champions have already been pushed to the brink before coming to the League and survived the trauma (others like Veigar have already gone over and still bear the strength to destroy others). Then there are the others who don't have the capacity to be broken (Orianna, void creatures. Shaco... ) or are beyond breaking (Xerath, Brand, Nocturne...). Thresh'll have a hard time doing his job.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Frim

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axinhed View Post
Almost all of the champions have already been pushed to the brink before coming to the League and survived the trauma (others like Veigar have already gone over and still bear the strength to destroy others). Then there are the others who don't have the capacity to be broken (Orianna, void creatures. Shaco... ) or are beyond breaking (Xerath, Brand, Nocturne...). Thresh'll have a hard time doing his job.
All the more reason to join the League then. If the denizens of the Shadow Isles are planning some sort of invasion, then it would be nice to know how to handle the many bizarre entities and hardened warriors that the Institute of War could conjure up for battle.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axinhed

Senior Member

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frim View Post
All the more reason to join the League then. If the denizens of the Shadow Isles are planning some sort of invasion, then it would be nice to know how to handle the many bizarre entities and hardened warriors that the Institute of War could conjure up for battle.
Couldn't the other five do that on their own?


123