Why must people try New Champs in Normals?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aamon2500

01-21-2013

I always play between 1-3 games against bots with champs i just got. Just to see what their abilities do and then to get used to the abilities. I have no desire going into a pvp game with no knowledge of how to play a champion.

adc

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfsrChaos View Post
OP,

Normal games are for trying new champions, learning/honing your mechanics, and enhancing your skills. There is no external ranking or value placed on normal games other than whether or not you get a win (also there is no showing/indicator of number of losses in your stats), and if you're playing to improve in normals the number of wins you have shouldn't really matter as long as you've improved your play a little each game.

Improving also applies to trying out new champions and learning new styles of play so you'd be better able to play that champ in the future and use it's skills or know what the champ can do so you can counteract it better in game.

If you want games where people aren't trying out new/random champions, perhaps go into draft mode if you're not feeling up to ranked games?

At least in draft you're more likely for players to stick to the meta and often have had a bit more experience and understanding of what roles they can fill and what champions they can play.

But otherwise, this game is about creativity and diversity of play, you're playing a game with the option of playing over 100 different characters, don't criticize people for wanting to vary their experience by picking new champions to learn and play ESPECIALLY if the games are not ranked and therefore are not really tied to any external value.
Just to nitpick, you CAN see how many losses you have (at the end game screen with all the other stats), and you DO have an Elo (you just can't see it).

Other than that, yeah.

SeCKS Egai

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashinghardest View Post
bots don't teach you anything at all. NOTHING. every build is a good build in bot games. every combo is a good combo in bot games. any lane strat is a good strat in bot games.
As someone who has spent far more time getting quick wins (and some not so quick) against AI, if you can't learn anything against AI you aren't going to learn anything against human players.

AI is predictable and a cake walk for most experienced players. But I've still seen level 30s struggle in AI. Just yesterday I logged in to try and get a quick first win of the day in a co-op dom. I was at risk for some lag, so I figured if I was slacking the team would easily cover it.

Of course I was wrong, and had to eat one of those rare defeats against ai. I started the game at a 39 latency, and right as we're finishing loading someone jumps on the shared connection and I'm seeing 1k -2k plus latency, which breaks down to a 5-10s delay between clicks. Sad thing was I did better than 2 others who weren't having connectivity issues.

You can get away with a lot against the AI - however, it's still a valid learning tool. I was in a norm game that a friend invited me to and we didn't have a jungler (I would have but I had to mid) and our bot lane was a level 9 garen (building AD) and a trynd. They got dominated and quickly lost their tower. If their amumu hadn't dc'd for such a long time, we'd probably have been finished off or surrendered at 20. I managed to help carry that game utilizing a suicidal tanky karth tactic relying on the passive, defile and the ult to kill or soften up the enemy team so bad my team would win out the trade.

If some of my teammates had spent some quality time against AI (and this was a premade of random invites mind you), we would have probably dominated instead of having to eek out a near miracle recovery. You won't learn advanced tactics against AI, but they at least cover fundamentals. I still see 30s on occasion that struggle with AI where latency isn't the factor - but I've seen 30s in my norms that I know would struggle too.

If I know I can't play my best (potential lag on the connection or just not feeling like putting in the effort) I'll usually just run AI. Not only is there far less drama, I also do it out of respect for my fellow teammates. If I'm doin norm or ranked, I want my teammates to perform solidly, and as such I don't throw myself in queue to risk a potential loss for teammates if I know I'm not going to be playing at a competitive level. With my experience, I don't learn anything from AI and its just going through the motions unless I'm trying a champ out that I'm not familiar with. With that said, I do see folks in both and AI and norm that I'd want still workin in AI instead of my norm.

Shadgam

01-21-2013

Humans don't react like bots do

Nawar

01-21-2013

Because Normals are practically the only place to effectively practice champs.

a sad loli

01-21-2013

And that's where you come in and tell them to not do that.
"Hey nunu if you move while you're until it gets cancelled and does less damage:"
"Hey fiddles you should fear then drain, don't move while you're draining or it gets cancelled "
Literally not hard at all.

HenryKrinkle

01-21-2013

I intend to try new champs in ranked once I get there. Hilarity will ensue. Just have fun.
Some LoL players take themselves a little too seriously; and I intend to show them that its all about lulz.

Hookä

01-21-2013

Lol@the qq about new champs in normals i think ive played bot games like twice...and to say the least both times i fell asleep and still won i prefer to troll your tryhards in normals