Why must people try New Champs in Normals?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PCPXTC

01-20-2013

Ya bots are a waste of time once you played pvp. I'd say the bot match ups are only beneficial to help players understand how the game works and basic controls, so first few games ever bots. Otherwise playing champions in normal games is a great way to learn, anyone should be able to read the 4 spells and the passive before the game which is enough to start in pvp.

Method1cal

01-20-2013

Your eyes work the same in normals as in bot games. Reading the abilitys should give you enough of a sense as to what your champion is capabul of. The only thing you really need to learn on a new champ is how well you can trade with certain match ups, and that only takes a couple of games.

As long as you aren't straight up dumb then theres no reason playing a new champion in a normal will lose it for the team.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimasu View Post
You probably..picked the worst example. Draven is probably the only champion I'd say you SHOULD play in a bot game, as far as ADCs go.
Because you have to catch his axes? That's all there is to learn about Draven, and it's really not hard to figure out.

futuresight23

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloquid View Post
When I get player that instalocks Eve in lobby then asks if she's ap or ad, it really gets the worst out of me. I swear I could punch the ****er in the face. After asking why the hell don't you see against bots what champ is all about, I usually get "bots are boring". Yeah, and trolling and ruining other people's games isn't. RIOT BAN FREE CHAMPS IN NORMAL GAMES. Or at least record if that player ever even tried that champ once in bot game first.

Go play intermediate bots if you find them too easy, you parasites.
Being able to play free champs in normal games is the best way to figure out whether you should spend RP or IP on a champ you are on the fence about. Every champ kind of seems really effective against bots.

Just be happy that Riot decided to bar people from playing champs they do not own in ranked games and leave it at that.

Rikkhan

01-20-2013

The problem is with the below average player (wich is a lot of people), if this player sucks in his first play he will marked as a troll and/or feedder and possibly reported. Its common sense to do a little practice so you can avoid potential toxic behavior.

I remember a few days ago I had a first time nocturne on our team, he used his ult ONCE in the match (40+ mins) and was to run, his others skills were rarely used too, his build was awful and feeded big time, obviously my team raged at him and repoted him (I dont because i feel beign bad is not a reason to be banned), he had a hard time but he can avoid all that by just playing one or two bot games...

If the comunity was a little better then I would agree but this isnt the case.

roskosp33

01-20-2013

I practice new champs in dominion. It's like a crash course to team fights and nobody rages.

PrfsrChaos

01-20-2013

OP,

Normal games are for trying new champions, learning/honing your mechanics, and enhancing your skills. There is no external ranking or value placed on normal games other than whether or not you get a win (also there is no showing/indicator of number of losses in your stats), and if you're playing to improve in normals the number of wins you have shouldn't really matter as long as you've improved your play a little each game.

Improving also applies to trying out new champions and learning new styles of play so you'd be better able to play that champ in the future and use it's skills or know what the champ can do so you can counteract it better in game.

If you want games where people aren't trying out new/random champions, perhaps go into draft mode if you're not feeling up to ranked games?

At least in draft you're more likely for players to stick to the meta and often have had a bit more experience and understanding of what roles they can fill and what champions they can play.

But otherwise, this game is about creativity and diversity of play, you're playing a game with the option of playing over 100 different characters, don't criticize people for wanting to vary their experience by picking new champions to learn and play ESPECIALLY if the games are not ranked and therefore are not really tied to any external value.

Seriphym

01-20-2013

Because the old champs are boring?

PrfsrChaos

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
But what if you're like me, and between playing (having seen teammates or enemies play the champion in question), watching streams, and doing web research on several different guide websites, the LoL wiki, and maybe some forums, you already completely understand the champions mechanics, understand the build, and understand the combos or whatever without having even played a bot game with the champion?

Moreover, let's suppose that the champion in question is a perfectly standard champion to play in the role I mainly fill.

Why do I still have to play bots to "figure" the champion out, if I already have everything figured out that the bots would teach me?

Let's say for example I'm a 1500 Elo player and ADC is my primary role--I fill it every time I can. And let's say I've never played Draven. But, despite having never played Draven, I've played at least 100 matches or more with each of the following champions: Tristana, Corki, Ezreal, Caitlyn, Varus, Vayne, Graves, Kog'maw, Ashe, Sivir, Miss Fortune, and Twitch.

Do you still think it's necessary for me to go "figure out" Draven in a bot game?
^^^ Absolutely 100% agree with you Pogo

s0ul steeler

01-21-2013

its not ranked stop whining