Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why must people try New Champs in Normals?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akimasu

01-20-2013

I went 53/0/13 as AD annie. Bots serve no purpose, I can literally 1v5 bots now.

Once you have the basics of the basics down, like don't walk into tower range with 23 Hp, or that point end goes into things you want dead..you really won't get anything out of bots.

Normals, however, are against real people - generally around your skill level.

adc

01-20-2013

Quote:
Onij:
It's because of the loss of experience and IP per game. Remember when those actually mattered to you before level 30?

He already said to learn what abilities do. Who cares how you build. He mentioned nothing about someone building poorly, just that people didn't understand how a champion's mechanics worked...

No better way to understand a champion than to play them. Maybe some people don't enjoy bot games? I know going 50/0 can be fun occasionally, but every time you want to try a new champion? No thanks.

Eloquid

01-20-2013

When I get player that instalocks Eve in lobby then asks if she's ap or ad, it really gets the worst out of me. I swear I could punch the ****er in the face. After asking why the hell don't you see against bots what champ is all about, I usually get "bots are boring". Yeah, and trolling and ruining other people's games isn't. RIOT BAN FREE CHAMPS IN NORMAL GAMES. Or at least record if that player ever even tried that champ once in bot game first.

Go play intermediate bots if you find them too easy, you parasites.

Eloquid

01-20-2013

Quote:
Mich567:
In my early levels, I went 23/7 with Renekton in my first match with him in a normal. It's stupid to not do a bot match first though; I now realize that understanding the abilities, combos, build, etc... is pretty important. However, if you look at their abilities, their damage, and/or a build first, you can try them in a normal with no experience (just not a ranked... no, just no). I personally like to develop a build first, but the only way to REALLY learn is to play a normal.

Then buy the ****in champ and practice all day long.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-20-2013

Quote:
Onij:
He already said to learn what abilities do. Who cares how you build. He mentioned nothing about someone building poorly, just that people didn't understand how a champion's mechanics worked...

But what if you're like me, and between playing (having seen teammates or enemies play the champion in question), watching streams, and doing web research on several different guide websites, the LoL wiki, and maybe some forums, you already completely understand the champions mechanics, understand the build, and understand the combos or whatever without having even played a bot game with the champion?

Moreover, let's suppose that the champion in question is a perfectly standard champion to play in the role I mainly fill.

Why do I still have to play bots to "figure" the champion out, if I already have everything figured out that the bots would teach me?

Let's say for example I'm a 1500 Elo player and ADC is my primary role--I fill it every time I can. And let's say I've never played Draven. But, despite having never played Draven, I've played at least 100 matches or more with each of the following champions: Tristana, Corki, Ezreal, Caitlyn, Varus, Vayne, Graves, Kog'maw, Ashe, Sivir, Miss Fortune, and Twitch.

Do you still think it's necessary for me to go "figure out" Draven in a bot game?

Akimasu

01-20-2013

Quote:
Eloquid:
When I get player that instalocks Eve in lobby then asks if she's ap or ad, it really gets the worst out of me. I swear I could punch the ****er in the face. After asking why the hell don't you see against bots what champ is all about, I usually get "bots are boring". Yeah, and trolling and ruining other people's games isn't. RIOT BAN FREE CHAMPS IN NORMAL GAMES. Or at least record if that player ever even tried that champ once in bot game first.

Go play intermediate bots if you find them too easy, you parasites.

I find intermediate bots too easy o_o.

Evelynn can be played as both AD and as AP, AP is just more common. She could be asking what other people are playing, and building accordingly. I do this commonly as Yi, especially when I jungle Yi - I ask do they want me AP or AD.

If you want players to be playing their best, go play ranked. Normals is where you go to have fun, pub stomp, practice, play new champs, try new things, etc. Last night I had a game with an AD Malz, Jungle Sivir, top Draven, and it went surprisingly well. Sivir in the jungle was terrible, but she cleared it fine and triple AD late game was just utterly ridiculous.

Does it work? Probably not, but the point is in a normal game, you can win pretty much regardless of what you play.

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
But what if you're like me, and between playing (having seen teammates or enemies play the champion in question), watching streams, and doing web research on several different guide websites, the LoL wiki, and maybe some forums, you already completely understand the champions mechanics, understand the build, and understand the combos or whatever without having even played a bot game with the champion?

Moreover, let's suppose that the champion in question is a perfectly standard champion to play in the role I mainly fill.

Why do I still have to play bots to "figure" the champion out, if I already have everything figured out that the bots would teach me?

Let's say for example I'm a 1500 Elo player and ADC is my primary role--I fill it every time I can. And let's say I've never played Draven. But, despite having never played Draven, I've played at least 100 matches or more with each of the following champions: Tristana, Corki, Ezreal, Caitlyn, Varus, Vayne, Graves, Kog'maw, Ashe, Sivir, Miss Fortune, and Twitch.

Do you still think it's necessary for me to go "figure out" Draven in a bot game?

You probably..picked the worst example. Draven is probably the only champion I'd say you SHOULD play in a bot game, as far as ADCs go.

Griffinzo

Recruiter

01-20-2013

Quote:

Thank You

Rikkhan

01-20-2013

imho for simple respect people should test new champs for the first time on a bot/custom game, also I like to give me a time to try the spells/combos/builds.

Quote:
Slashinghardest:
bots don't teach you anything at all. NOTHING. every build is a good build in bot games. every combo is a good combo in bot games. any lane strat is a good strat in bot games.

Say that to the thousands of lv30 that cant last hit to save his life.

Telmisartan033

01-20-2013

No they dont, i play 2 or 3 games against computer to learn my new champ, then i go to normal
i rage too much when summoners say`s.. "its my first game dont blame"

-___-

Lazarlord

01-20-2013

its better to learn a champ in normals because you get to experience what it feels like playing with real situations not simulated ones, besides why not? its not like its ranked or anything